Why become a member? ×

Pots and parts for my P/J

d-basser

Looking to gut the electronics out of my fenderalike P/J bass, putting Wizard pickups in but need some advice on what to but pots and jack wise. Looking for good quality but affordable and wanting to stay passive just improve. What else do I need? Capacitors? Wiring?

Thanks in advance guys

Dan

There are a few ebay sellers and mail order places that do a kit of parts for a wiring harness.

I used a P bass wiring kit from [url="http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Storehouse-Studio__W0QQ_armrsZ1"]storehouse studio[/url] on ebay to upgrade the cheap & cheerful bits in my CIJ mustang, ie two CTS pots, sprague orange drop capacitor, switchcraft jack socket & cloth-covered wire.

You can get cheaper pots than CTS & cheaper sockets than Switchcraft, but its worth spending the extra few quid to get the best.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

[quote name='d-basser' post='594155' date='Sep 9 2009, 06:34 PM']Is this everything I would need for a P/J bass? Got the pickups coming too.
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JAZZ-BASS-WIRING-KIT-HIGH-QUALITY_W0QQitemZ270453423274QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item3ef847bcaa&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262"]ebay[/url][/quote]
Yep - that'll do it. Just like the kit I bought but with an extra pot.
I can't tell whether those pots have solid shaft or knurled split shaft - make sure you buy the correct ones to go with whichever knobs you're using - I think (but not 100%) that CTS make both types. I got solid shaft pots & put a set of 1960s mustang knobs on my bass. They were a bit pist on the stock split shaft pots.

Make sure you have some decent solder so you don't have to overheat the pots- ie not the lead-free rubbish from Maplins which doesn't flow.

[quote name='d-basser' post='593300' date='Sep 8 2009, 09:18 PM']Looking to gut the electronics out of my fenderalike P/J bass, putting Wizard pickups in but need some advice on what to but pots and jack wise. Looking for good quality but affordable and wanting to stay passive just improve. What else do I need? Capacitors? Wiring?

Thanks in advance guys

Dan[/quote]

The chaps at WD are pretty helpful and their site has a lot of stuff you would need.
www.wdmusic.co.uk

[quote name='d-basser' post='593300' date='Sep 8 2009, 09:18 PM']Looking to gut the electronics out of my fenderalike P/J bass, putting Wizard pickups in but need some advice on what to but pots and jack wise. Looking for good quality but affordable and wanting to stay passive just improve. What else do I need? Capacitors? Wiring?

Thanks in advance guys

Dan[/quote]

The chaps at WD are pretty helpful and their site has a lot of stuff you would need.
They can do a 24 hour turnaround if you order early enough the previous day.
www.wdmusic.co.uk