Why become a member? ×

Overwater for £345 BIN

lemmywinks

Early example, medium scale Overwater:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Overwater-Custom-Bass-Guitar-UK-Made-Vintage-Model_W0QQitemZ140344458424QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item20ad2e7cb8&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Overwater-Custom-Bas...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

Looks basic but hey, it's an Overwater!

I spoke to Overwater about these basses the first time I came across one, about two years ago.

In their early days, before the brand got well-established, they tendered for a contract to supply cheap basses for use in schools in the North of England. I can't remember the exact number now, it was either 150 or 250 I think.

These basses ARE genuine Overwater basses, but they are NOT special custom jobs and they were built down to a price.

Talking to Overwater on the phone, I got the distinct impression that they regretted making this batch of "school basses".

They were actually made for the Inner London Education Authority and are referred to as ILEA basses.

Made as set neck basses for the schools with iirc emg selects and M3 bridges and schaller machines, they were sold for around 200 quid and they made very little money on them surprisingly enough :)

Dave

[quote name='neepheid' post='592461' date='Sep 7 2009, 09:19 PM']I wouldn't go so far as to say it's ugly - unremarkable perhaps...[/quote]

+1

its like a sunburst fender P, not attractive, not unattractive, just there. theres nothing special looking about it, but its not ugly.