Why become a member? ×

Fodera going - softening the blow

lozbass

Some may have seen my recent ad for the Fodera Imperial MG5 - it was with great sadness that I finally had to admit that I was struggling too hard to play it (a result of wrist rotation issues) In an attempt to soften the blow, I've just had this delivered. The short-scale should help considerably (I really only use short-scales or very skinny necked long-scale fours now). It's currently wearing flats but I'll sort that out this weekend - it sounds lush anyway (as you might expect)

It's an Alembic SC Deluxe - nothing too fancy - just lovely top and back laminates (and red side LEDs) It's taking my mind of the departure of the Fodera rather nicely

Edited by lozbass

Thanks to all for the lovely comments - the Fodera is really gorgeous but at least there's a chance of me playing the Alembic. In fact, I can't really stop playing it - it's so much fun even with the flats (not really my favourites on a bass like this). I know that 4000 and myself aren't alone with the Alembic fanship and this bass reinforced what I already knew. Build quality is genuinely out of this world and the finish is amazing. I think it was 4000 that first used the term here, but 'functional art' couldn't be much more appropriate. There'll still be a tear as I tape up the Fodera's carton, but I honestly couldn't be happier with the Alembic - there are many brilliant builders out there but Alembics just do it for me - they even smell fantastic!

[attachment=32225:IMG_1460a.jpg]

That is an absolute stunner Sir !

Much as i dribbled over the Fod ( evn tho it was sc ) i think this is " The One " wow!

30.75 scale and ooh skinny neck ! Stanley taper ?

Dont think ive seen a piece of Buckeye quite as eyewateringly delightful !

Ive Just recently taken delivery of a "preloved " Series 1 and havent been able to put it down as yet , the tonal variety from the filter based eq is phenomenal and the playabilty just incredible ,

" flats on a SC " ??? who ? why ??? lol ( each to his or her own of course ), but wha ?

Hope you ll be stringing that beauty up with some really skinny springs and bending the notes after the nut !

If you need any Stanley tracks ! lol ..oh dam mine are all on vinyl ..

dont ever put this up in FS cos ill have to camp outside your house !

Beautiful !!

Gary
v8

Hi all,

Thanks again - on aesthetics, I've got to say I don't think there's much to choose between the Fodera and the Alembic - very different basses but both lovely in their own way. The facings on the new one are really superb - Alembic seem to have a penchant for sourcing some of the most lovely timbers.

The Alembic has a super skinny neck and the narrow (Stanley) taper - 1.5" I think. These small Alembics feel a bit like a toy after playing a full-size instrument ('nice toy though). I'm a massive fan of filter based pres and the signature electronics don't disappoint (I haven't tried the ACG/East filter pre yet but must do soon - I've been thinking of fitting one in a Jazz).

V8 - congratulations on the Series 1 - the preamp in the Series basses is out of this world - an infinite variety of really usable tones, and simply huge presence and definition. I can imagine what playability is like too - there's really nothing quite like an Alembic in my experience.

The flats should come off this weekend if I get a chance. I have a couple of sets of Newtone Platinums. They were custom wound at 35-92, so yes, ultra skinny. I specced round cores for even lower tension but the strings came on hexagonals - no problem - they're sufficiently bendy! I had them gold silked at both ends too (so they should look pretty when fitted). They were originally for my standard small body but haven't been fitted yet - I'll get a set each onto the Sig and Series and report back. The strings should permit some super fast Stanley type runs and bends...but alas not for me...I'll just chonk out the same tired, artless old riffs that I've relied on - and screwed up - for the past thirty years.

Back to it - the bass is too lovely to put down for long!

Thanks Peter - an extremely kind offer! I'm in Manchester so not a million miles away. The problem for me at the moment is time (work is crazy). I should be around more in a few weeks and would certainly love to take you up on the offer of the ACG trial. I'll PM when I'm more free and if convenient for you, I'll pop over and bring the Alembic.

Cheers, Loz

I don't know how you do it but again : this one is gorgeous and the most beautiful Alembic I've ever seen. I love buckeye burl. I used to have an Alembic but this is something else.
There must be some secret well around Manchester. Hope this one works for you and makes you play with ease.. Absolutely stunning.
I don't do this too often but every now and then I download pictures of basses which are stunning to look at : I don't have a lot of pictures since I'm rather picky but your Fodera and this Alembic are both in my picture collection.
I'm gonna post this on a Dutch bassforum : will raise some eyebrows over there..

Hi guys - thanks again to all. The bass is currently away being set-up but I'm waiting eagerly to get it back and have a proper play.

Molan - thanks - I too saw that MK and nearly had a pop at it - the only thing that stopped me was the scale length (and it was a 5 if I remember correctly so no use to me). Gorgeous to look at though!

Wombatboter - again thanks and I love the 'secret well' comment! I wish there was - it would be the only thing that would make Manchester worth living in (apart from the Asian restaurants). Thanks too for disseminating the pictures - you are very kind. I'm a bit of a fan of gorgeous facing woods (coffee tables to many) and I'm in my element when I'm able to conbine aesthetics with playability.

I once played a Brown Bass with the Stanley taper (incidentally, it weighed half of what my SC Deluxe weighed) and it was possibly the most amazing neck I've ever laid hands on.

I had a look at the pics on the Bass Central site too Loz; it really is a staggeringly beautiful instrument. I'm also completely with you on combining aesthetics and playability; for me that's what it's all about.

[quote name='lozbass' post='597397' date='Sep 13 2009, 03:04 PM']Hi 4000 - you're clearly an aesthete of the highest order - I've seen the evidence (lots of it!) I'll write properly tomorrow (work still mad but calming a little after today)[/quote]

Ha! I think in this Loz (as in so much else) I'm rather adrift of you.....best of luck with the work. Had a mad week last week myself with another looming. Friday just can't come soon enough.