Why become a member? ×

Greetings from Blackpool!

tony_m

After hanging around here for over a year now, I figured it was probably about time to introduce myself, so...

[cheesy grin]
Hi folks, my name's Tony, and I'm a Bedroom Bassist.
[/cheesy grin]

After umpteen years of listening to the bassline rather than the song, I got my first bass (a Tanglewood P-copy) in 1994, and started messing up REM and Neil Young songs with a mate from work who played guitar.

Unfortunately, changes of job and working patterns brought an end to our weekly sessions a year or so later, and I retired to my room to carry on messing up songs on my own. By this time, the Tanglewood had gone, replaced by a '78 Fender Musicmaster which I rescued from the clutches of a local music shop (they had the poor wee thing tuned to guitar pitch, then wondered why the neck was like a banana!!! :rolleyes: ), an MIJ '51 Precision Reissue (my first serious attack of GAS prompted by a review in [i]Bassist [/i]mag), and a CIJ '60s Reissue Jazz.

A combination of work and domestic circumstances soon reduced my activities to virtually nil, although I've always found it impossible to walk past the '51 P without picking her up and giving her a quick twang.

Fast-forward to March 2008 when a mate asked my opinion about a Squier Strat for his lad. I've always fancied a "maple 'n' black blocks" Jazz a la Les Pattinson, so after investigating the Squier website I suppose it was inevitable that a '70s VMJ would be added to the collection almost immediately.

Suitably inspired, I'm now playing (er, OK, messing about...) more than I have in ages, but still have no intention of demonstrating my lack of talent and ability in public. There again, never say never, eh?

And after being pretty much GAS-free for more than a year (yes, really!!!), a recent visit to the BC Classifieds triggered a desperate desire for an Oly White Jazz. Oh well, the Squier CV '60s has been getting good reviews, and they aren't that expensive, so what's a boy to do... :)

Now I suppose some might say all these fine instruments are wasted on me (and TBH they're probably right), but they've helped keep me sane and cheerful through various events over the past 18 months, as have my bicycles. But that's another story...

Anyway, enough of my wittering, here's a shot of the family. Amp-wise I've got a Trace BLX-80 and an old Laney Linebacker 30, but usually just play through a headphone amp or a Tascam BT-2.

[attachment=31917:IMGP7345adj.jpg]

I can't really offer much to the Forum other than enthusiasm, but I will say it strikes me as a decent place to be - I also hang out on various cycling and mtb forums, and the attitudes and behaviour on there sometimes seems to be worse than a primary school playground!