Why become a member? ×

Schroeder, Marshall advice needed

thumperbob 2002

Hi All

In a bit of a predicament

Have just sold my Marshall Cab- its the 4 x12 matched with the VBA 400 valve amp. It sounds great but too heavy. Waiting for the cab to be picked up.

Was playing today and comparing the cab with my schroeder 1212L and the Marshall cab sounded better ( to my ears )

I really like the Schroeder with my Markbass amp but I was surprised the marshall 4 x 12 sounded better- more relaxed tone- deeper etc.

I think it is something to do with four speakers as apposed to two with the Schroeder.

I am thinking of buying another schroeder 1212L ( will be 2 0hms so the Markbass wont do it - so I will use the VBA 400 which goes down to 2 ohms ) to go with the Marshall so I have a big rig and a normal rig with the Markbass amp and one cab.

Anyone have any thoughts?

By the way I play in a soul / funk group - 7 piece and the bass does not go through Front of House Pa. Two Schroeder cabs are still way lighter and smaller than the Marshall cab- shame about the weight of the Marshall amp- but sounds miles better than the markbass so its a keeper.

cheers

Bob

Is the Schroeder brand new?

Mine took quite a few gigs before it really opened up and produce more bottom end. Its never going to be a deep cab - The Schroeder's party piece is being able to go rediculously loud without distorting

I missed the rumbling bottom end of a larger cab and that's why I eventually sold mine after having it for 2 years

[quote name='Delberthot' post='585136' date='Aug 30 2009, 02:50 PM']Is the Schroeder brand new?

Mine took quite a few gigs before it really opened up and produce more bottom end. Its never going to be a deep cab - The Schroeder's party piece is being able to go rediculously loud without distorting

I missed the rumbling bottom end of a larger cab and that's why I eventually sold mine after having it for 2 years[/quote]

yeah I have noticed that after a few gigs the schroeder 1212l has opened up a l;ittle and "warmed up" but I really think the 4 x 12 sounds better as therre are simply more speakers- do agree the schroeders go very loud indeed- but I think 2 of them will give a deeper smoother sound.

Love to hear other opinions

cheers

bob

I was thinking about going down the two 2x12 Schroeder route whit my EA head (which dose the 2ohm thing). I thought that the Schroeder's were supposed to be pretty deep?

Not too sure now as I like it deep. :)

I'd too be interested on some advice.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='585212' date='Aug 30 2009, 04:44 PM']yeah I have noticed that after a few gigs the schroeder 1212l has opened up a l;ittle and "warmed up" but I really think the 4 x 12 sounds better as therre are simply more speakers- do agree the schroeders go very loud indeed- but I think 2 of them will give a deeper smoother sound.[/quote]

Two cabs will sound louder and fatter in the midrange than one, but they won't sound deeper. The Marshall sounds deeper and smoother because it uses completely different woofers and has a larger internal volume per driver than the Schroeder.

[quote name='bigthumb' post='585238' date='Aug 30 2009, 05:17 PM']I was thinking about going down the two 2x12 Schroeder route whit my EA head (which dose the 2ohm thing). I thought that the Schroeder's were supposed to be pretty deep?[/quote]

Nope, VERY loud but by virtue of being constrained in the lows.

You don't need a larger cab to get deep lows, you just need a cab that has more internal volume per woofer or lower sensitivity woofers which can produce a deep sound from a small cab. Sensitive, deep, small - pick any two!

Alex

Alex is SPOT ON-as Usual- here. Pick ANY 2!!! 100% spot on! I've NOT played thru ANY Schro's But I heard one- 1 1210L IIRC being used by an Uprite acousic player in a rockaqbilly band- sounded punchy, loud BIT DID lack the deep roundness I like! to tell the truth- I was thanking my lucky stars-'choice'really for buying the Berg NV215. & for a 'LIGHT option I use a Mark Bass HR151STD- somwtimes with the Berg AE112 cab-sure they aint really 'matched' but they WORK together really well to my ears. The AE112 is punchy & versatile, & the 151HR is deep & round-not as "hi-fi" but thats cool- it seems to sound great with the band.
SCHROEDER cabs -as I've read- are punchy & Loud.... deep IS NOT A TERM i'VE READ RE THEM.-SORRY caps lock :-/

I've owned/do own the VBC412 and two 1212Ls, and liked them both for different things.

I liked the VBA400 head, but I felt it was a little bit too bassy a lot of the time for me. Saying that, I've heard some epic JJ Burnel style tones come out of it too. However, paired with a different head with a little more punch, it sounds great to my ears. Definitely deeper than the 1212L. Thankfully, I haven't been after a particularly deep sound recently so it is no bother to me :) I don't miss the size or weight of the Marshall!

For me, that Schroeder is the perfect cab for most occasions, because of what I play and what tone I like. But it sounds like it might not be for you? Smaller and lighter cabs can go deep like the VBC412 though. I was quite impressed by the Barefaced Compact I've been mucking about with for the last week or so. I would want something bigger if it was to be my sole cab, but there are lots of options to look into :rolleyes:

[quote name='Anders' post='585769' date='Aug 31 2009, 02:20 PM']I'm kind of curious about the Schroeder 1515 though.I was hopeing it would go deep and have a rounded deep end.[/quote]

Same thing as with the 1212 - it's so much smaller than a conventional 2x15" that it produces much less depth in the lows.

Alex

Got my 1515L today- with the Schroeder 1212L and my Marshall VBA 400 the sound is exactly what I want- clear, punchy- deep and LOUD!! To loud really but I like headroom- cab is even lighter than the 1212L- shame the marshall is so heavy but it sounds GOOD- my best bass sound- ever!! Even at low volumes- gets better the louder it is- recommended.

cheers

Bob

[quote name='chris_b' post='590443' date='Sep 5 2009, 10:18 AM']2x12 and 2x15! Sounds like overkill, to me, for a Soul band with FOH support! Anyway, good luck with the new rig.[/quote]

we dont put the backline through the pa- only vox,brass,keys

I certainly dont need the 1515 as the schroeder1212 and the markbass are great- but as I play for enjoyment rather than the pittance I earn as a musician- I WANT IT!!

CHEERS

BOB

Another thought- I remember many years ago I bought a bass rig from Dogs D`Amour ( semi- famous 80s Band )- consisted of a Fender 1 x15 in one cab - a 4 x 10 in another- both cabs were in one huge flight case- in another flight case was the Fender valve amp and another pre-amp. Weighed lots and lots.

As soon as we put the thing in the van I regretted buying it- sounded great but was so impractical.

I can now- even with my big rig- walk into a venue with two trips- first one-2 cabs ( one in each hand ) guitar and leads etc on my back.

2nd one amp -Done!! How things have changed

cheers

Bob

• 2 weeks later...