Why become a member? ×

Amps, speakers & power handling??

silverfoxnik

Hi Folks,

Anybody here know if i can run a Gallien Krueger 700 RB head (380 watts at 4 ohms) with a Peavey 4ohm 2x10 cab that has a 350 watt max program power rating(175 watt RMS continuous)? I still find the difference between program and RMS continuous confusing, to be honest.. :)

I've already blown up one GK 2x10 cab through not thinking and don't want to make the same mistake again if I can help it!

Thanks

Nik

[quote name='alexclaber' post='62163' date='Sep 18 2007, 02:33 PM']Yes it should be fine as long as you don't push the amp into repeated clipping or the speakers into over-excursion damage.

Almost any amp can blow almost any speaker if you fail to listen and think about what you're hearing - if you hear bad sounds, turn down!

Alex[/quote]
Thanks Alex!! That's very helpful, as ever. :)

Nik

[quote name='alexclaber' post='62187' date='Sep 18 2007, 03:30 PM']An addendum! Obviously in some loud situations you keep turning up because you can't hear yourself. If you can't hear yourself then you're unlikely to be able to hear damage occuring. The only solution then is to get the rest of the band to turn down - easier said than done...

Alex[/quote]
Very true Alex - and sometimes it's the room that forces everyone to turn up because the acoustics are working against everyone hearing themselves easily, so they keep cranking up the master volume.

I went to see Walman's band last Saturday and they all had in-ear monitoring systems which were great.. though that's an expensive option for some musicians and bands I would imagine?

Cheers

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='62274' date='Sep 18 2007, 07:03 PM']Very true Alex - and sometimes it's the room that forces everyone to turn up because the acoustics are working against everyone hearing themselves easily, so they keep cranking up the master volume.[/quote]

I think more often than not it's not so much the acoustics as it is failing to account for the acoustics! You can't set up the same way and position the speakers the same at every gig. Also the polar response of speakers is terribly overlooked - guitar cabs in particular are extremely directional. A lot of this comes down to how the drummer and guitarist play - if they really understand their tone and dynamics then everything else tends to fall into place. If they don't get it, then it can get really messy!

IEMs would be nice but it's rather a sledgehammer to crack a nut, especially as many venues could be played with an unmiked drum kit - if only sound engineers would get over their desire to keep increasing the membership of RNID...

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='62284' date='Sep 18 2007, 07:14 PM']I think more often than not it's not so much the acoustics as it is failing to account for the acoustics! You can't set up the same way and position the speakers the same at every gig. Also the polar response of speakers is terribly overlooked - guitar cabs in particular are extremely directional. A lot of this comes down to how the drummer and guitarist play - if they really understand their tone and dynamics then everything else tends to fall into place. If they don't get it, then it can get really messy!

IEMs would be nice but it's rather a sledgehammer to crack a nut, especially as many venues could be played with an unmiked drum kit - if only sound engineers would get over their desire to keep increasing the membership of RNID...

Alex[/quote]
Hi Alex, what does IEM and RNID stand for?? Nik

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='62288' date='Sep 18 2007, 07:21 PM']I used a Peavey T_Max (350W @ 4ohms) into a Peavey 2x10 no problem. They used to do a T-max combo with 2x10 as well. Its not exactly light though. I would still be tempted to ditch the lot and get a good GK cab.

Have you got the GK fixed?[/quote]
Hi John

Thanks for that....

No I haven't fixed the GK cab yet because to repair it with decent speakers (Neos etc) is at least £100.. Therefore, i figured that if I can find a decent s/h cab here on BC for less than £100 I can probably sell the GK cab with it's one working driver for £30 on Ebay and be quids in (I think?). Plus I've got the GK Backline 1x15 to sell as well so that will help balance the books even more.

I'm using my old 1x15 at the moment and that's great to my ears so on that score, I'm quite happy. But I want a back up and because I've invested more in basses lately, I don't really want to have to spend £400 plus on a cab. Though I know that's what you think would be the best way for me to go and you're probably right!! :)

Nik

The terms Watts RMS or Watts Peak shouldn't be used (and weren't used until about 20 years ago). It should just be Watts. But it should be stated how it's measured (such as averaged power over a 5 minute period). Watts peak is marketing bullshit.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='62162' date='Sep 18 2007, 02:30 PM']Hi Folks,

Anybody here know if i can run a Gallien Krueger 700 RB head (380 watts at 4 ohms) with a Peavey 4ohm 2x10 cab that has a 350 watt max program power rating(175 watt RMS continuous)? I still find the difference between program and RMS continuous confusing, to be honest.. :)

I've already blown up one GK 2x10 cab through not thinking and don't want to make the same mistake again if I can help it!

Thanks

Nik[/quote]

• 5 years later...

Watts rms is the one to use to approximately match amp and cab. Avoid clipping on SS amps, e.g. i/p gain too high.

Watts rms presupposes a sine wave. It is slightly greater than the average power of a sine wave over time.

Watts music power is an invention to supposedly take consideration of the complex music envelope. It cannot but used in calculations. It's a marketing ploy to be ignored.

Peak power is most useful in mixing wrt metering to avoid clipping and maintain headroom.

I wouldn't be comfortable if I had to push my i/p gain or master volume much over 5 at a gig. I like to know I have plenty of headroom. That's for SS amps.

That sinking feeling when equipment goes on the blink is not good.

Edited by grandad

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1368649733' post='2079870']I wouldn't be comfortable if I had to push my i/p gain or master volume much over 5 at a gig. I like to know I have plenty of headroom. That's for SS amps.[/quote]

The position of your gain and master volume tells you nothing about the amount of headroom at a gig. Both knobs are gain multipliers and are designed to handle everything from low output instruments with soft players to high output instruments with hard players. When I dig in on my old active bass I can drive most amps into clipping at way below 5 on both gain and master.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1368696845' post='2080217']
Who is this grandad clown reviving these old threads?
[/quote]
[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1368696845' post='2080217']
Who is this grandad clown reviving these old threads?
[/quote]

That's me. I'm retired from full time work now so more than likely I'll be making a nuisance of myself just like any self-respecting OAP.

Nice pic Bill. I notice you live in New Hampshire, a beautiful part of the world. I usually visit my 3 grandsons in Connecticut every 12 months or so. The eldest, 11 yrs, got his first 3/4 spanish acoustic this year so I taught him 'Blue Suede Shoes' for his first tune.
I enjoy reading your information on the net & thank you for making some technically difficult stuff more readily understood. Regards, Chris Russell