Why become a member? ×

Lakland

andy.

Im torn.

Has anyone had experience with both of these basses? I cant decide which i like better and kinda need to because i sadly cant afford both.

I need to know more about them so i can got one ordered to a shop to try.

Cheers!

Je Osbourn - [url="http://www.lakland.com/osborn.htm"]http://www.lakland.com/osborn.htm[/url]

4-94 - [url="http://www.lakland.com/4-94.htm"]http://www.lakland.com/4-94.htm[/url]

I've had both and there's no real comparison really. My 4-94 was a beautiful looking bass that sounded fantastic but I got nervous every time somebody went near it which I know is daft but I sold it because of that. The Joe is a solid work tool that'll do the job perfectly and for a long time.

My advice? Buy a Darryl Jones :)

If you can, try them. In my opinion the JO's, DJ's and 94's are equally great basses. They can have different pickups and electrics but I think they are each flexible enough to get the sound you want, so you really have to try. I brought mine before the JO's and DJ's appeared, but it wouldn't bother me which one I owned, I think they are all that good.

How's about a 44-02? Got a DJ, JO and 44-02. A/Bd 44-94 and 44-02 and had a very hard time justifying the price difference between them.

Tone/sound and general fit and finish was so close, confident I'd made the right choice of a 44-02 and saved myself enough for a decent Japanese JB too...

Love the JO and the DJ (both Skylines BTW) and both have their place, but ultimately the 44-02 is that bit more versatile and it's the one I'd go for if the house was on fire!

Regards

Rich

Edit! - ultimately, try before you buy (if you can!)

Edited by fatboytoo

[quote name='fatboytoo' post='583302' date='Aug 28 2009, 10:28 AM']How's about a 44-02? Got a DJ, JO and 44-02. A/Bd 44-94 and 44-02 and had a very hard time justifying the price difference between them.

Tone/sound and general fit and finish was so close, confident I'd made the right choice of a 44-02 and saved myself enough for a decent Japanese JB too...

Love the JO and the DJ (both Skylines BTW) and both have their place, but ultimately the 44-02 is that bit more versatile and it's the one I'd go for if the house was on fire!

Regards

Rich

Edit! - ultimately, try before you buy (if you can!)[/quote]

thanks for that. How do the necks compare on 4402 and dj?

[quote name='andy.' post='585289' date='Aug 30 2009, 06:26 PM']I would prefer a passive bass because i have an active one but the fact that you can get more tones out of the 4-94 is tempting.

What is the JO like when you really pluck hard? Is there any clipping?[/quote]

IME, not that much different to a JB from the big F.

[quote name='bassatnight' post='590005' date='Sep 4 2009, 06:38 PM']Anyone tried the bottom of the range? the 44-01? its meant to be a good all rounder for the price? Thinking of investing and I can't stretch to a grand plus![/quote]

I have and it was good in a passive way, but for the same price as a newbie 44-01 you can pick up a mint 44-02 which is just that bit extra.

Got mine from Josh on here and it is superb.

Regards

Rich

Whoops, too late placed the order. But managed to get it at a pretty good price at £599 which is £70 less than GAK and a massive £170 less than the Gallery (are they sure?)
Passive? the active circuitry not so good then?

Checked out a few via the tube and Lakland sound files and it sounded very bright with a good mix of tones.

Steve.

[quote name='fatboytoo' post='590070' date='Sep 4 2009, 07:41 PM']I have and it was good in a passive way, but for the same price as a newbie 44-01 you can pick up a mint 44-02 which is just that bit extra.

Got mine from Josh on here and it is superb.

Regards

Rich[/quote]