Why become a member? ×

The Gibson SG bass

SS73

Coming from another topic to something I thought would be worthy of a fresh post, it is from youtube but, hell this man is an inspiration, then again, the whole band are, not so good sound wise but just that separation of the sound, so pure, love it., [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odLL_s3UJgs&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odLL_s3UJgs...feature=related[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK89EVPRaX4&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK89EVPRaX4...feature=related[/url] , Quite a distorted sound, Andy was always Marshall, but the Orange is certainly diff.

Andy Fraser when with Free is my all time favourite player, I can never tire of listening to him.
Notice on that Granada show that Andy has a split lead, one going to each Marshall head.
I don't think he is using it split pickups, as on most pics I have seen, the pickup selector is on postion 2 which is the mini humbucker on it's own.
Pictures of Jack Bruce show that he also used the same setting

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='582218' date='Aug 27 2009, 10:10 AM']Glenn Cornick - EB0

Felix Pappalardi - EB1 and EB3[/quote]

Have you tried the SG bass?
I had a go on one in Hartnolls (Plymouth) the build quality was excellent and it had a distinctive sound of its own but I miss my old EB3L, it just somehow had much bigger cojones. I always used mine on that setting too.
One of them and a vintage Marshall head (ahem I have two for sale) is the classic set up.
Why dont they reissue the EB3L slotted peg head with the original pickup selector configuration?

[quote name='hatori' post='582225' date='Aug 27 2009, 10:22 AM']Have you tried the SG bass?
I had a go on one in Hartnolls (Plymouth) the build quality was excellent and it had a distinctive sound of its own but I miss my old EB3L, it just somehow had much bigger cojones. I always used mine on that setting too.
One of them and a vintage Marshall head (ahem I have two for sale) is the classic set up.
Why dont they reissue the EB3L slotted peg head with the original pickup selector configuration?[/quote]

I'd love to try an SG re-issue, but I'm skint and my quarterly GAS allocation's blown.

It seems that the re-issue makes a nod towards a more 'contemporary' sound - addressing some of the tonality complaints - 45 years later! Sod's law - these days, everybody wants the EB retro 'mud tone'. And rightly so.

Slotted head. Drool.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='582218' date='Aug 27 2009, 10:10 AM']Glenn Cornick - EB0

Felix Pappalardi, what a ''Dude'', I remember all those many albums they made, it seemed they were all Japanese imports. Going to dust a few off tonite and get the turntable going.

[quote name='hatori' post='582225' date='Aug 27 2009, 10:22 AM']Have you tried the SG bass?
Why dont they reissue the EB3L slotted peg head with the original pickup selector configuration?[/quote]

I think its the EL34's that work so well with the Gibson, at practice I have used a JTM 45 and a 4x12, just a fantastic warmth...

The EB3 is my main stage bass too. One thing i've noticed over the years is the [u]massive[/u] effect of room acoustics on this bass. The ultra fat sound (varitone position 1) can either be way too loud or way too quiet compared to the bridge pickup only (varitone position 2). It seems in a small room it just takes over everything, but in a larger room gets lost. I use both of these settings regularly (and sometimes 3 and 4 too), and always wish i'd spent more time in soundcheck seeing what relative volume is right for the room.

[quote name='hatori' post='582225' date='Aug 27 2009, 10:22 AM']Why dont they reissue the EB3L slotted peg head with the original pickup selector configuration?[/quote]

The current SG bass isn't as extreme in tone as the EB3, but the sound is a lot more controllable on stage. You don't get the wild volume changes of the varitone. I think they sacrificed a bit of classic mojo for a better working instrument. I still prefer the EB3 though.

Ah, the master is mentioned at last. Felix was the man. The more "accessesible" Jack Bruce, and what a voice. With Leslie West, unbeatable. Mountain were the tops. (No pun intended)

Edited by leschirons