Why become a member? ×

EBS head through Barefaced Compact

Anybody tried this? I ideally need two rigs to get the best out of all my basses, but for reasons of cost/space would prefer to run 2 different heads through my Compact.

My Seis sound ok through the Ashdown and through this cab, Markbass maybe a little better, Epifani surprisingly worse. I've only ever tried EBS heads through EBS cabs but my Sei 4 has never sounded better than through EBS (I turned the horns off, as I tend to).

[quote name='4000' post='581771' date='Aug 26 2009, 07:19 PM']Anybody tried this? I ideally need two rigs to get the best out of all my basses, but for reasons of cost/space would prefer to run 2 different heads through my Compact.

My Seis sound ok through the Ashdown and through this cab, Markbass maybe a little better, Epifani surprisingly worse. I've only ever tried EBS heads through EBS cabs but my Sei 4 has never sounded better than through EBS (I turned the horns off, as I tend to).[/quote]

I'll give it a go this weekend all being well.

I run an EBS Fafner through Trace Elliot cabs and it sounds great. Never tried a Compact but would guess it would sound pretty kick ass. My only reservation is that I think EBS heads need at least a 4ohm load before they really shine. Mind you, from reading up on the Compact and how sensitive the speaker should be, so I wouldn't really compare it with normal 8ohm cabs. Thus I doubt there would any significant issues.

[quote name='JTUK' post='582112' date='Aug 27 2009, 07:39 AM']Can't see why you'd look further than EBS-EBS.. A 1x15 should do the trick plus it has a horn should you need it..AIUI
Should be THE tone-monster[/quote]

My Rics don't sound how I want through the EBS gear I've tried. I go for 2 utterly different sounds from my Rics and my Seis. Also, my Compact is lighter than the EBS 1x15s, which makes a big difference to me as I have chronic back problems. As for horns, I've never needed one so far in 29 years of playing....

[quote name='4000' post='582146' date='Aug 27 2009, 08:35 AM']My Rics don't sound how I want through the EBS gear I've tried. I go for 2 utterly different sounds from my Rics and my Seis. Also, my Compact is lighter than the EBS 1x15s, which makes a big difference to me as I have chronic back problems. As for horns, I've never needed one so far in 29 years of playing....[/quote]

Audition an Epifani too - their cabs are more mellow than the EBS gear.

How do you want your Rics to sound? I know that's a difficult question to answer... but...

Alex,

I haven't, but it's something I have considered in the shape of the EBS Microbass. No idea how it would work though, it's not something I've done before. Having said that a spare head is always handy, although it could be argued that with the amount of gigging I'm doing - currently none - it's slightly pointless.

EBS-freak,

My Rics are kind of in early-ish Roger Glover (think Made in Japan) or early Mike Rutherford (Genesis Live) territory. Not quite as distorted as that but that sort of ballpark.

The plan when I bought my Epifani UL502 head was to eventually get an Epifani cab to go with it to get the best of both worlds. When I received the offer of going to Florida I sold the Epi to make it happen; unfortunately for various reasons it's now a no-go, so I kind of lost out there. As we've already discussed, I was mightily impressed by my Sei 4 through EBS. I'll be interested to see what you find if you get to try the EBS/Compact combination out.

Oooh, tough one! If you imagined a half-way house between Hadrien Feraud and Matt Garrison (minus the skills of course :) ), neither quite as fluid as H or as dry as M you'd be about as close as I can describe. Tight and fluid (oo-er missus). Thing is I play mostly with a pick, and so have to go about getting those sort of sounds rather differently than many. I usually have to eq quite heavily.

I think the first place I'd start at would be using a different pick material, like those rubber picks you can get. That should get the attack much more similar to fingerstyle. I can't see EQ ever being a truly satisfactory solution unless you can find a way to replicate the note envelope.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='582668' date='Aug 27 2009, 05:13 PM']I think the first place I'd start at would be using a different pick material, like those rubber picks you can get. That should get the attack much more similar to fingerstyle. I can't see EQ ever being a truly satisfactory solution unless you can find a way to replicate the note envelope.

Alex[/quote]

Bear in mind my Sei Melt through a TD650 and EBS 1x15 with the horn rolled off sounded bang on. Through a Trace it was pretty close too. Haven't tried the Flamboyant 5 through EBS, although it sounded fabulous through a UL902 and Epi 4x10, and very nice through all-Markbass (and indeed Markbass LMII/Epifani UL112). Unfortunately I get a very different sound with the Compact so have to eq around it. I've tried gazillions of picks; I chop and change them all the time anyway depending on the specific sound I'm after at the time, and I alter my picking accordingly too.

I'm not actually after their sound, that's just the nearest approximation I can give. I can't think of anyone who plays in anything like that noodly, notey style who uses a pick, other than me (although I'm not as good as them obviously!!!!). Dominique Di Piazza uses a thumbpick but gets a thinner sound than I'm after/have had. Obviously I'm aware that I would find it difficult to replicate their sounds exactly, and I wouldn't want to. I don't see the point in sounding exactly like someone else.

My experience with EBS gear has been that it's got quite a lower midrange scoop going on and quite a lot of colouration from the preamp, like a load of extra harmonic colour being generated by the valve stage. The UL902/410 is another lower mid-scooped rig though both the amp and cab are cleaner, likewise the LMII/UL112. I think a lot of what you like is either the valve colouration or the cone break-up modes adding to the lower treble content, and the Compact is really rather controlled in that area - the Midget has much more of that going on. EQing in that region on the Compact isn't going to do a lot - I think the solution is to add that colour via a valve stage that responds dynamically, therefore I think an EBS head could work rather well!

Alex

Edited by alexclaber

Interesting stuff Alex. That could be why the Ashdown sounded better with the Seis than I initially thought it would, and actually worked better for me than the Epifani (through the Compact that is), although it's by no means right. As I've said previously I did find the Epifani was just so honky through the Compact, almost regardless of what I did with it (of course that's with me playing through it; that may not be the effect anyone else would get).

I'll see what EBS_freak comes up with at weekend, and then may just have to try a few things out. No rush seeing as I'm not gigging (and wouldn't be using the Seis in my current band anyway), although it's a shame I missed that 350 that was for sale; having said that I believe it's valve stage-less. Could be wrong though.

EDIT: Ignoring the head for the moment, I wonder if 2 Midgets would cover the territory of both sounds better than 1 Compact? Hmmm....Alex?

Edited by 4000