Why become a member? ×

Julius Pastorius

Jase

Hardly - the world is full of second generation musicians and it is not unusual to see the kids out gunning the parents - saxophonist Joshua Redman (son of Dewey Redman who was the nephew of Don Redman), saxophonist Joe Lovano (son of Tony 'Big T' Lovano), drummer/percussionists Joe and Jeff Porcaro, Charlie Haden (a child from a musical family stage act) and son Josh, Ellis and Wynton/Branford/Delfayo/Jason (the last, the least known, is a fantasticdrummer in the mold of Jeff Watts), Jimmy and Matt Garrison, Sammy and Steve Kahn,

There are also loads of siblings who all cut it: Michael and Randy Brecker, Mike and Pat Metheny, Greg and Matt Bisonette, Hank/Elvin/Thad Jones, Richard and Karen Carpenter :)

I think its probably something to do with growing up in a musical environment (i.e exposure) and in a culture where being musician is seen as credible and worthy of investment (encouragement, support, learning) (unlike most families where it is seen as a 'cop out'). Its an interesting point, though. Nurture, nature, both or neither.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='581026' date='Aug 26 2009, 09:43 AM']Hardly - the world is full of second generation musicians and it is not unusual to see the kids out gunning the parents - saxophonist Joshua Redman (son of Dewey Redman who was the nephew of Don Redman), saxophonist Joe Lovano (son of Tony 'Big T' Lovano), drummer/percussionists Joe and Jeff Porcaro, Charlie Haden (a child from a musical family stage act) and son Josh, Ellis and Wynton/Branford/Delfayo/Jason (the last, the least known, is a fantasticdrummer in the mold of Jeff Watts), Jimmy and Matt Garrison, Sammy and Steve Kahn,

There are also loads of siblings who all cut it: Michael and Randy Brecker, Mike and Pat Metheny, Greg and Matt Bisonette, Hank/Elvin/Thad Jones, Richard and Karen Carpenter :)

I think its probably something to do with growing up in a musical environment (i.e exposure) and in a culture where being musician is seen as credible and worthy of investment (encouragement, support, learning) (unlike most families where it is seen as a 'cop out'). Its an interesting point, though. Nurture, nature, both or neither.[/quote]

Noooo, I'm on about the guy who is obviously Jaco mad and is it strange for Julius to see someone almost being your father as a bass player.

The guitarist does a pretty good Pat Metheny impression too although not image wise. I wonder if when putting this band together Julius specifically wanted someone who was a Jaco clone? Interestingly the bass player and guitarist are Italian and it's an Italian tour, does Julius live in Italy? The [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sB1ZmgxVcM&feature=related"]other vid[/url] is good too, nice and funky. Really good quality vids for a live performance although audience seem very quiet, so possibly a rehearsal, [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWit6UBjt4I&feature=related"]this one[/url] seems more like the gig and very Metheny again.

[quote name='ezbass' post='581317' date='Aug 26 2009, 01:08 PM']I wonder if when putting this band together Julius specifically wanted someone who was a Jaco clone?[/quote]

S'pose he must've, this is the guy to call if you need a player that can offer that :)
[url="http://www.massimoselvi.com/"] massimo selvi[/url]

I didn't realise that Julius was the drummer - I just saw the guy that is the spitting image of Jaco on bass & assumed it must be him.
To be playing in a band with a guy that is obviously trying very hard to be your late father must be really weird.

[quote name='RhysP' post='581467' date='Aug 26 2009, 03:08 PM']I didn't realise that Julius was the drummer - I just saw the guy that is the spitting image of Jaco on bass & assumed it must be him.
To be playing in a band with a guy that is obviously trying very hard to be your late father must be really weird.[/quote]

That's the bit that freaked me too, just made me think Julius was playing bass for a split second, in the same split second I thought it was a rare Jaco vid, then at the end of the split second got my head around it :)

[quote name='Jase' post='581477' date='Aug 26 2009, 03:15 PM']That's the bit that freaked me too, just made me think Julius was playing bass for a split second, in the same split second I thought it was a rare Jaco vid, then at the end of the split second got my head around it :rolleyes:[/quote]
You certainly pack a lot into your split seconds........ :)

[quote name='Jase' post='581390' date='Aug 26 2009, 01:59 PM']S'pose he must've, this is the guy to call if you need a player that can offer that :)
[url="http://www.massimoselvi.com/"] massimo selvi[/url][/quote]

Woah, he really does have the look of Jaco, couldn't really see that from the You Tube vids. That's not just weird, it's just plain creepy having the dead spitting image and sound of your dead dad in your band.

[quote name='RhysP' post='581636' date='Aug 26 2009, 05:19 PM']You certainly pack a lot into your split seconds........ :)[/quote]
:rolleyes:

[quote name='ezbass' post='581639' date='Aug 26 2009, 05:21 PM']Woah, he really does have the look of Jaco, couldn't really see that from the You Tube vids. That's not just weird, it's just plain creepy having the dead spitting image and sound of your dead dad in your band.[/quote]
There's a pretty tidy version of Invitation on his site too :lol:

It just seems like acting to me. The good thing about Jaco pastorius was he invented new things and was a pioneer,if he had copied his dad he would just be some 2nd rate sinatra swing band type so i dont think this is always the right path to choose.i It just looks to me like his son has been honed as some sort of cloned party piece,even his body language and clothing style is near identical to the stuff jaco senior did,just seems a bit weird to me,no doubt some big fat corporate american is behind the scenes somewhere hoping to clean up.

Edited by YouMa

[quote name='YouMa' post='582091' date='Aug 27 2009, 02:52 AM']It just seems like acting to me. The good thing about Jaco pastorius was he invented new things and was a pioneer,if he had copied his dad he would just be some 2nd rate sinatra swing band type so i dont think this is always the right path to choose.i It just looks to me like his son has been honed as some sort of cloned party piece,even his body language and clothing style is near identical to the stuff jaco senior did,just seems a bit weird to me,no doubt some big fat corporate american is behind the scenes somewhere hoping to clean up.[/quote]
Jaco's son is the one playing the drums.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm Massimo Selvi the bass player on this vids
please check this other one, it's one of my originals (I steel the 3rd phrase from a Zawinul solo on Cannonball played in Montreux back in '76)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sB1ZmgxVcM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sB1ZmgxVcM[/url]

personally I feel comfortable with me, same for Julius and the other guys, so if you don't mind I keep doing music, especially my music, you can check it out at mySpace

[url="http://www.myspace.com/massimoselvi"]http://www.myspace.com/massimoselvi[/url]

...hope to meet some new friend(z) :-)

Bye, Massimo