Why become a member? ×

Headphone amp recommendation

tredders

Hi all

Apologies if this has been covered in the past - I searched but couldn't find anything.

Anyone got a recommendation for a headphone amp? I'm in the process of taking lessons from Steve (Funkmunky) and after realising how horrible my technique is (I've got 20 years of bad habits to unlearn!), it's back to regular practice sessions for me. So, I'm on the lookout for a headphone amp that I can plug my in-ears into and pootle about with. I'd prefer something portable, which is why I'm not going down the practice-amp-with-headphone-socket route.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers

Mark.

I rate my Tascam Bass Trainer as an essential piece of kit for me. The MP3 version looks like it would be quite portable (i've got the CD one and it fits in the front pocket of the bass gig bag, no problems).

[url="http://www.tascam.com/products/mp-bt1.html"]http://www.tascam.com/products/mp-bt1.html[/url]

Korg Pandora is my weapon of choice,really versatile piece of kit,good battery life,loads of sounds & effects,aux input for cd,mp3 or as I do link up to the pooter where I store loads of music & jam along thro' headphones without disturbing anyone else,later models have 'bass cancel' feature also drum machine,amazing how they cram so much into a small box,all the best,mike b.

A second-hand Zoom B708 will set you back about £15-£20, and will give you a headphone output and a selection of drum patterns, but will not allow play-along with a backing track.

Something that I have not tried, but sound as if it would work, is to wear in-ear phones and 'hi-fi' headphones together. One fits over the other, and you feed one from your CD player, and the other from your bass amp / headphone amp / etc. In-ear mixing.

The Tascam and Pandora are both good, you can save mp3s on the Tascam, slow them down and filter out the bass, and it also has some basic fx. The Pandora has a line in for an iPod (set the iPod EQ To 'bass reducer' if playing along with it!) you can also record 30sec loops and slow down / transpose etc, plus it's a full fledged multi fx unit with great sounds in it. And you can thread your bass strap through the clip!

For a cheaper no frills unit checkout the EA Earwig from the US.

Personally, I use a DI Box and iPod into a Behringer Micromon with great results, I've also just got a Pandora PX4D for dirt cheap for use outside of the bedroom, but haven't gotten around to learning how to use it properly yet!