Why become a member? ×

Cost of Defretting?

martthebass

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I'm looking at bidding on a fretted bass that I'd like as a fretless (having had no look finding a factory fretless to my taste/budget over the last few weeks).

So.....what is the cost of a professional defret these days? I would be looking at maple lines in a r/w board (or white plastic if the cost is excessive). Also any recommnedations for the work to b done in the Sheffield/Donny area (I've already thought of Jon Shuker but I don't know if this sort of stuff is beneath him now :) )

Cheers, Mart

The guy at Wavelength Music (London Road, Sheffield) quoted me £30 to pull the frets out and then extra to fill in the slots and level the board. So I'd say around £70. Originally I was planning on doing the slot filling myself as I had the tools. I don't see why Jon wouldn't do a defret, unless he's particularly busy. A few months ago he did some fret crowning on my electric guitar so I'm sure he does all sorts of repair/modding work. Electro Music in Donny would also do it I imagine. Their refrets start at around £100 so I can't imagine a defret to cost more than that.

If it's a cheapish bass I'd consider doing it yourself as the tools and materials needed don't cost that much.

Edited by thedonutman

[quote name='Moos3h' post='578456' date='Aug 23 2009, 07:36 PM']Pair of pliers....£3
Good quality hacksaw...£7
Knowing that you've just ruined your instrument...priceless.

Go on, be a man, give DIY a go :)[/quote]

It's pretty easy. I defretted a Warwick in a couple of days. I took my time and it took about an hour to remove the frets.
Rest of the time was sanding, cleaning filling, sanding and cleaning again.

[quote name='Moos3h' post='578456' date='Aug 23 2009, 07:36 PM']Pair of pliers....£3
Good quality hacksaw...£7
Knowing that you've just ruined your instrument...priceless.

Go on, be a man, give DIY a go :rolleyes:[/quote]

Think I'll file that with DIY dentistry (knowing my woodworking skills)........ :)

Thanks all for the info.

Sad thing is, I know that as soon as I've bid someone will post a vgc MIA Jazz fretless on the for sale board for £575 and I'll let outthat Blackadder like scream.

Edited by martthebass

Bassist magazine did an interesting article years ago about doing a DIY de-fret on a bass. One of the ways they discussed doing it was by wrapping masking tape round the neck/fretboard, adjacent to the fret and then filing the fret down until it was level with the board, obviously taking care not to sand the board. Then use filler to fille the slot around the fret tang. Might be an easier option if it's a cheapish bass with a cheaper quality rosewood board which might chip.