Why become a member? ×

What do you think?

I'm seriously thinking about this one. Yeah i now i shouldn't have put it on here but its better than bidding on it and then finding a basschater beat me to it on ebay. the starting price makes me think it could end at quite a high price though.
any thoughts. I was thinking what questions to ask him really.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-1976-USA-Fender-Precision-White_W0QQitemZ130324823966QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item1e57f6ff9e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-1976-USA-Fen...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

Edited by beerdragon

[quote name='beerdragon' post='576871' date='Aug 21 2009, 04:56 PM']I'm seriously thinking about this one. Yeah i now i shouldn't have put it on here but its better than bidding on it and then finding a basschater beat me to it on ebay. the starting price makes me think it could end at quite a high price though.
any thoughts. I was thinking what questions to ask him really.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-1976-USA-Fender-Precision-White_W0QQitemZ130324823966QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item1e57f6ff9e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-1976-USA-Fen...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url][/quote]
even I like that and i am not a fender bender.

what are ashtrays?

[quote name='dazco' post='576984' date='Aug 21 2009, 06:37 PM']what are ashtrays?[/quote]

Hang your head in shame! :)

just kidding - i've learnt lots of things on BC - they are the bridge covers - in old days when smoking was allowed bassists would take the bridge cover and use it as an ashtray (on stage usually) and subsequently lose them.

here endeth the lesson.....

BB

Edited by BarnacleBob

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='577006' date='Aug 21 2009, 06:54 PM']Hang your head in shame! :)

just kidding - i've learnt lots of things on BC - they are the bridge covers - in old days when smoking was allowed bassist woukld take the bridge cover and use it as an ashtray (on stage usually) and subsequently lose them.

here endeth the lesson.....

BB[/quote]
AN ASHTRAY!!!!!!!! ON STAGE!!!!!!!!!!!

What the f**k would that eminent bassist, Sid Vicious, say about that?

Thinking about it, I'm sure I've seen the other odd 70's Fenders with no skunk stripe. Whether that meant the lack of a skunk stripe was just the kind of weird discrepancy that Fender knock out from time to time, or whether it had a replacement neck I have no idea.

Looking at the decal it looks like part of the last 'S' is missing, which is strange as well. Maybe it's just obscured slightly by grime.

And the wear looks a little odd too.

Maybe I'm just getting a bit too cynical in my old age. :)

[quote name='Musky' post='577410' date='Aug 22 2009, 10:22 AM']Looking at the decal it looks like part of the last 'S' is missing, which is strange as well. Maybe it's just obscured slightly by grime.

And the wear looks a little odd too.

Maybe I'm just getting a bit too cynical in my old age. :rolleyes:[/quote]

+1. Looking closely at the headstock, it seems like it's been daubed with some kind of coloured varnish, (possibly to hide damage?) which has made it's way onto the last "S". :)

[quote name='Musky' post='577410' date='Aug 22 2009, 10:22 AM']....And the wear looks a little odd too.

Maybe I'm just getting a bit too cynical in my old age. :)[/quote]

Gotta agree about the wear pattern on the back - IMHO that just doesn't look authentic...

[quote name='Musky' post='577410' date='Aug 22 2009, 10:22 AM']Thinking about it, I'm sure I've seen the other odd 70's Fenders with no skunk stripe. Whether that meant the lack of a skunk stripe was just the kind of weird discrepancy that Fender knock out from time to time, or whether it had a replacement neck I have no idea.[/quote]

The general guideline (but not rule) is:

Solid maple = skunk stripe
Rosewood or maple cap = no skunk stripe

That said, I've seen rosewood necks with skunk stripes. Not many though.. it's more of a Strat / Tele thing.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='578026' date='Aug 23 2009, 07:49 AM']The general guideline (but not rule) is:

Solid maple = skunk stripe
Rosewood or maple cap = no skunk stripe

That said, I've seen rosewood necks with skunk stripes. Not many though.. it's more of a Strat / Tele thing.[/quote]

Now there's a weird thing - that's the opposite of what I've noticed. I seem to see far more rosewood necks with a skunk stripe on 70's Fenders than without, so much much so that I thought this one was odd. Good to know that there are genuine ones out there without the skunk stripes though.

[quote name='Musky' post='578027' date='Aug 23 2009, 08:27 AM']Now there's a weird thing - that's the opposite of what I've noticed. I seem to see far more rosewood necks with a skunk stripe on 70's Fenders than without, so much much so that I thought this one was odd. Good to know that there are genuine ones out there without the skunk stripes though.[/quote]
Strange.. not my experience at all!

The thing is, if it's a solid maple neck you need a skunk stripe. If it's rosewood, you don't...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='578028' date='Aug 23 2009, 08:30 AM']Strange.. not my experience at all!

The thing is, if it's a solid maple neck you need a skunk stripe. If it's rosewood, you don't...[/quote]

Yeah. I've just had a quick look at some of the pictures I've got saved of 70's Fenders, and all the rosewood necked ones showing the headstock or back of the neck have a skunk stripe or walnut plug. Not that that means anything of course, other than maybe I happen to like rosewood necks with a skunk stripe. :)

I've just noticed that Fender had a neck code for both rosewood necks [i]and[/i] rosewood necks with a skunk stripe. Quite why they would have decided to make both sorts is anyone's guess. Maybe there was a market for people that had a particular preference?