Why become a member? ×

CIJ Sting P bass input jack & cup comes out...

Noisyjon

This is the main design flaw on telecasters so stands to reason it could happen on a Sting bass or a 51 P style bass. Take the volume / tone control plate off and you can get to it from the back. Then you can tighten up the washer from the outside without twisting / breaking the wires. Once it's tightened it'll be good for a long while. Touchwood my 51 P-bass hasn't been a problem. It's a relatively simple proceedure though. Good luck.

Just to clarify it's the jacksocket [i]AND[/i] housing that comes out of ther bass, not just the nut & washer!
Will dismantle it & investigate properly this evening.

Cheers,
Jon

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='576525' date='Aug 21 2009, 11:26 AM']This is the main design flaw on telecasters so stands to reason it could happen on a Sting bass or a 51 P style bass. Take the volume / tone control plate off and you can get to it from the back. Then you can tighten up the washer from the outside without twisting / breaking the wires. Once it's tightened it'll be good for a long while. Touchwood my 51 P-bass hasn't been a problem. It's a relatively simple proceedure though. Good luck.[/quote]

Hey Jon, seems this is not uncommon with this model of bass. One Harmony Central review - [url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/Fender/Sting+Precision+Bass/50/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...ision+Bass/50/1[/url] - said the following

"One thing I do not like, and which has been widely commented on, is the tendency for the jack assembly to come loose. I tighten it with a needlenose pliers before the gig and it usually holds up; wrap the cord through your strap to avoid any potential catastrophies."

THis doesn't solve the problem but I bet if you went on to a Fender blog site someone on there would know how to fix it, given it is not seemingly a rare occurrence

You're talking about the mounting ferrule as well as the jack socket - mine spun round a lot so I made a pre-emptive strike and epoxied it in.

The jack itself - nail varnish on the threads and the washer will stay put - loctite can 'lock tight' so I avoid it.

[quote name='jonthebass' post='577595' date='Aug 22 2009, 02:40 PM']Had a look last night and can't really see down the back of the hole well enough to see what needs sorting.
Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Cheers,
Jon[/quote]

late question

is the housing meant to be a tight fit in the body?
if its coming out then i suspect you may need to make it 'stay' in the hole drilled for it
would some epoxy hold it
sounds like a desoldering job as well

[quote name='mrcrow' post='578320' date='Aug 23 2009, 04:48 PM']late question

is the housing meant to be a tight fit in the body?
if its coming out then i suspect you may need to make it 'stay' in the hole drilled for it
would some epoxy hold it
sounds like a desoldering job as well[/quote]

Hi McCrow,
It is indeed meant to be tight in the hole (ooh-er!)
Epoxy is something else I've read about as an alternative fix.
At the moment the Electrosocket is looking to be my fave option as it screws into the body so will sort this problem out once and for all.
[attachment=31438:Electrosocket.jpg]
Soldering is not a problem for me so not too bothered about de-soldering it to fix it.
Cheers,
JTB

• 3 weeks later...

The electrosocket is exactly what I've used in both my Warmoth basses for the same reason - the original fitting is very fiddly and difficult to make it stay where it should.

Hold the jack from the inside, screw the socket onto it until its tight, then drill 2 small holes for the screws, screw them in and its tighter than a tight thing. Because the screws enter the body at a different angle to each other, they won't come loose

Edited by Delberthot