Why become a member? ×

Misunderstanding with Triads

arabassist

[quote name='Eight' post='570132' date='Aug 15 2009, 06:56 PM']G D A E... er.. G6/9

maybe a Emin11b5 without the Bb. I have no idea where my brain was going with that one...[/quote]

im sorry i didnt understand any of that :)

[quote]Generally yes I would say the notes GCE would be thought of as a second inversion C major ( so C major with the 6th, G, in the bass)[/quote]

but i did understand that :rolleyes:

[quote name='arabassist' post='570112' date='Aug 15 2009, 05:30 PM']let's take this random chord. I play 1st, 4th and 6th note of G major, so:

G
D 2
A 3
E 3[/quote]

[quote name='Eight' post='570132' date='Aug 15 2009, 05:56 PM']G D A E... er.. G6/9

maybe a Emin11b5 without the Bb. I have no idea where my brain was going with that one...[/quote]

[quote name='arabassist' post='570368' date='Aug 16 2009, 12:30 AM']im sorry i didnt understand any of that :)[/quote]

The confusion here is that the first post is written out as a sort of Tab. G(open) = G, D2 = E, A3 = C, E3 = G.

The second post dealt with the notes G, D, A, E instead of G, C, E, G.

Alun's right that GCE would usually be the second inversion of C major but I think there's a typo in there. G is the 5th, not the 6th.

[quote name='arabassist' post='570112' date='Aug 15 2009, 06:30 PM']Hello,

let's take this random chord. I play 1st, 4th and 6th note of G major, so:

G
D 2
A 3
E 3

isnt that the same as the 1st, 3rd and 5th notes of C major? but with the 5th lowered an octave? (is this an inversion?)

which chord would it be then?

Thanks
Ahmed[/quote]

Looks like you are using tab there.
Its just a C second inversion.
Or as is usually written in chord charts,
C/G........[ C over G bass ]

Garry

alright so its a second inversion of C major - but whats stopping it from being a chord of G major? because G, E and C are all in G major as well

i mean if other instruments are playing in C or in G, would that chord harmonise with both situations?

Edited by arabassist

Although technically a triad, GCE would not normally be considered a diatonic chord in the key of G major because the major part assumes a major third B and perfect 5th D. The notes C and E would be diatonic as third and fifth of Amin (ACE), the second diatonic triad in the key of G major. CEG is also the fourth triad of G major. Most western harmony is built in thirds, so the perfect fourth above the root G suggests either a second inversion C chord or some kind of suspended chord.

It helps to think of the notes as they would appear in the alphabet rather than the voicing (arrangement to harmonise with the music) when trying to work out chords. In most cases, if someone played a random G, C and E on the piano then a C triad is the most likely - CEG. There are always other possibilities, but these are usually obvious in context (i.e., the harmony is based on suspended chords).

Edited by XB26354

[quote name='arabassist' post='570828' date='Aug 16 2009, 05:15 PM']alright so its a second inversion of C major - but whats stopping it from being a chord of G major? because G, E and C are all in G major as well[/quote]

Nothing is stopping it.
But what key are we talking about here?
C or G ? or even F.
If you are in the key of G....
The triad you are talking about would be chord 4 [IV] of the scale/key of G.
If in the key of C the triad you are talking about would be the root/tonic chord.
Also in the key of F, it would be chord V [dominant chord]

In my head i know what i am banging on about,
Maybe one of the teachers around these parts, [Jakesbass] might be able to explain better.

This might be of help [or not :) ]
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_scale"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_scale[/url]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='RhysP' post='570491' date='Aug 16 2009, 10:56 AM']Oh, it's a music theory question.
I saw the title & thought somebody had gotten into a spot of bother with a Chinese gang....... :)[/quote]

Exactly what I thought. Couldn't see those guys elbowing in on the guitar market but - given the fact that I'm pretty sure about 50% the vintage Fenders you see on ebay (and occasionally on here) come out of China - I guess it's a possibility! I saw the thread title and thought a BCer had grassed a Chinese seller to ebay and was regretting it :rolleyes:

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='571489' date='Aug 17 2009, 11:47 AM']Exactly what I thought. Couldn't see those guys elbowing in on the guitar market but - given the fact that I'm pretty sure about 50% the vintage Fenders you see on ebay (and occasionally on here) come out of China - I guess it's a possibility! I saw the thread title and thought a BCer had grassed a Chinese seller to ebay and was regretting it :)

Chris[/quote]

If he had had a misunderstanding with the Triads,
He would not be posting on Basschat.
But would be on the menu in Chinatown.
:rolleyes:

Garry