Why become a member? ×

An emarrasingly nerdy question for fans of old style P-basses

Cat Burrito

I saw a beautiful combination of the white pickguard on a CIJ Fender 51 P-bass and have got one on order myself - I own the bass so it's just the white pickguard coming from the US on order. I actually use a thumb rest as part of my style situated above the E string between the pickup ashtray cover and the last fret. My question :) is what colour, ahem, should the thumb rest be? Is black plastic going to look tacky or traditional? Bear in mind it's not in the traditional place. Should I hide this addition by getting a white one OR should I go for a wooden one? Not *my* bass but it will look something like this

Edited by BurritoBass

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='570067' date='Aug 15 2009, 05:20 PM']Black and TBH I think a black pickguard would look great too.[/quote]

It does but I like to chop & change as it makes my basses look fresher & reduces GAS! At present my bass looks like the attached. I just fancy a change for some gigs...

[quote name='bythesea' post='570073' date='Aug 15 2009, 05:24 PM']I like black but if you want something different you could have a look [url="http://www.classicguitarboxes.com/thumb_rests.php"]here[/url] :)[/quote]
They are really nice, I had an ebony one on my headless.