Why become a member? ×

Aguilar ag500 users ? ?

fenderiko

Hi All ,
any Aguilar users out there ?
Im thinking of purchasing an aguilar ag500 and not 100% as for what cab/s to go with it ?
how did you find the aguilar on gigs ? did the 500w was enough for a big gig ? how reliable was it ? what cab did you use to get the most efficient power of the amp (
would love to hear your AG experience

cheers
Rachel

[quote name='fenderiko' post='568759' date='Aug 14 2009, 10:42 AM']Hi All ,
Im thinking of purchasing an aguilar ag500 and not 100% as for what cab/s to go with it ?
how did you find the aguilar on gigs ? did the 500w was enough for a big gig ? how reliable was it ? what cab did you use to get the most efficient power of the amp (

cheers
Rachel[/quote]

Great amp for gigs - good quality DI (FOH soundman has always commented on that) plenty loud enough for me and we are a pretty loud band with the added challenge of a loud keyboard player. Totally reliable. Always used Aguilar cabs which I think are the perfect complement as the AG500 is a little "middy" which when combined with the slightly mid scooped GS cabs makes a good match.

Dropping the amp off in a couple of hours to thedontcarebear, so you can get a second opinion on that soon as well :)

Hi Rachel,

I have been using my AG500SC with an Epifani UL210 for a few years now and have been really happy with it - I would say that it is quite an honest sounding amp and does not colour your sound too much at all. My Epifani cab runs at 8 ohms so effectively I have been running at 250w and I have never found it underpowered even in some big pubs.

A while ago I bought a 1x15" 8 ohm cab to get the full 500w and to be fair it did not make much difference - certainly did not sound noticeably louder.

I tested the amp with Aggie cabs when I bought it but for me the Epi cabs sounded much better just a deeper tone if that makes sense?

Mark

[quote name='fenderiko' post='568759' date='Aug 14 2009, 10:42 AM']Hi All ,

cheers
Rachel[/quote]

I turned my new one on earlier and there was no sound! But after a few seconds of calm thinking, I remembered that there is a mute on it, haha. Sounds cool so far, looking forward to using it at a practice.

DOH!!!

You can get a footswitch you know??!!

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='569226' date='Aug 14 2009, 04:55 PM']I turned my new one on earlier and there was no sound! But after a few seconds of calm thinking, I remembered that there is a mute on it, haha. Sounds cool so far, looking forward to using it at a practice.[/quote]

[quote name='fenderiko' post='568759' date='Aug 14 2009, 10:42 AM']did the 500w was enough for a big gig ?... ...what cab did you use to get the most efficient power of the amp[/quote]

Bear in mind that the loudness of the rig is much more dependant on the 'speakerage' than the wattage. So 500W into 2x15" will be far far louder than 500W into 1x12". Also there aren't many small cabs that can actually handle more than 250W so a modular rig of one or two smaller cabs could be an effective solution.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='569022' date='Aug 14 2009, 01:55 PM']My Epifani cab runs at 8 ohms so effectively I have been running at 250w and I have never found it underpowered even in some big pubs.

A while ago I bought a 1x15" 8 ohm cab to get the full 500w and to be fair it did not make much difference - certainly did not sound noticeably louder.[/quote]

That's a classic example of where the whole is not equal to the sum of the parts. Two matching cabs would sound a lot louder, about 6dB which once you figure in the human ear's oddities in the low end that's getting on for twice as loud. Likewise two non-matching but phase coherent cabs would be similarly effective. However two cabs which were 100% out of phase (not possible but it's a useful illustration) could actually cancel each other's sound out entirely! Any different cabs will have different phase response, and the more different the phase response, the less well they will combine. In this case you've obviously happened upon a particularly bad pairing.

Alex

Good points Alex and you are probably right - when I have some more cash I may invest in an Epi 1x15" that is unless I am blown away by your cab when it finally gets here on the tour! :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='569379' date='Aug 14 2009, 07:12 PM']Bear in mind that the loudness of the rig is much more dependant on the 'speakerage' than the wattage. So 500W into 2x15" will be far far louder than 500W into 1x12". Also there aren't many small cabs that can actually handle more than 250W so a modular rig of one or two smaller cabs could be an effective solution.

That's a classic example of where the whole is not equal to the sum of the parts. Two matching cabs would sound a lot louder, about 6dB which once you figure in the human ear's oddities in the low end that's getting on for twice as loud. Likewise two non-matching but phase coherent cabs would be similarly effective. However two cabs which were 100% out of phase (not possible but it's a useful illustration) could actually cancel each other's sound out entirely! Any different cabs will have different phase response, and the more different the phase response, the less well they will combine. In this case you've obviously happened upon a particularly bad pairing.

Alex[/quote]

Hi ALL ,
Wow , big thanks for your detailed response !!! I would love to hear more if possible !
my main worry is that 500W wont be enough for those big gigs ,,, im trying to figure out what would be the best cab solution with out buying too many cabs ,, so for example buying 2x12 of 4ohm would be god enough ? or would i really need to get 2 cabs of 8ohm to get the best result : )
would I be right to think that I need a cab that would be twice the power of the amp ?
big thanks again ,

xRachel

How big is a big gig? And how loud is your band? What are you up against on the guitar front, what genre are you in? And what are you currently using? And what sound are you going for? Any key tonal influences?

Regarding your choice of cab, I consider the most cost effective match to go for something that is within a 2:1 ratio either way. So with a 500W amp I'd be looking at cabs rated at between 250W and 1000W. The rating on the cab is a thermal rating and it doesn't take into account how much the speakers have to move to produce the lows. Fortunately speakers kindly start making nasty noises when you ask them to produce too much bottom, so you can back off before you cause damage. The amount of bottom a cab can produce is fairly closely tied in with how large it is, so don't expect anyone near as much bottom at gigging volumes from a 500W 1x12" as from a 500W 4x10". With my range of cabs I don't even bother quoting a 'power handling' rating - instead I just suggest a recommended range of amplifier power ratings, for instance 100W-500W for the Compact.

Alex

[quote name='fenderiko' post='570010' date='Aug 15 2009, 03:50 PM']Hi ALL ,
Wow , big thanks for your detailed response !!! I would love to hear more if possible !
my main worry is that 500W wont be enough for those big gigs ,,, im trying to figure out what would be the best cab solution with out buying too many cabs ,, so for example buying 2x12 of 4ohm would be god enough ? or would i really need to get 2 cabs of 8ohm to get the best result : )
would I be right to think that I need a cab that would be twice the power of the amp ?
big thanks again ,

xRachel[/quote]

It depends what type of cabs you are after overall.

I love the tone of the AG with the GS and more so the DB Aguilar cabs. They match very well. Perhaps a 4 ohm 2x12 or 2 1x12.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='570077' date='Aug 15 2009, 05:32 PM']How big is a big gig? And how loud is your band? What are you up against on the guitar front, what genre are you in? And what are you currently using? And what sound are you going for? Any key tonal influences?

Regarding your choice of cab, I consider the most cost effective match to go for something that is within a 2:1 ratio either way. So with a 500W amp I'd be looking at cabs rated at between 250W and 1000W. The rating on the cab is a thermal rating and it doesn't take into account how much the speakers have to move to produce the lows. Fortunately speakers kindly start making nasty noises when you ask them to produce too much bottom, so you can back off before you cause damage. The amount of bottom a cab can produce is fairly closely tied in with how large it is, so don't expect anyone near as much bottom at gigging volumes from a 500W 1x12" as from a 500W 4x10". With my range of cabs I don't even bother quoting a 'power handling' rating - instead I just suggest a recommended range of amplifier power ratings, for instance 100W-500W for the Compact.

Alex[/quote]

yes Alex , I suppose you right :
bib gig for me is probably 200ppl up ... - you reckon that the ag500 would do it ? medium jazz clubs and medium rock stages.
you reckon the getting 4x10 or 2x12 would do the trick for getting amplified both electric and double ?
i am currently GK (300w ) head and ashdown cab 2x10
thanks for cab - much much appreciated
Rachel