Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Relay G30 Digital Wireless Guitar System

dave_bass5

Ive just noticed this on Stringsdirect.

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/5589-line_6_relay_g30_digital_wireless_guitar_system?utm_medium=email&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20software&utm_content=382146383&utm_campaign=Line+6+Prize+Draw+-+Win+a+G30+Relay+Wireless+System+_+ktjjtd"]Line 6 radio system[/url]

I didnt know they made this. Is it new?
It seems a bit cheaper than some of the recent digital systems like X2.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Tinman' post='567060' date='Aug 12 2009, 06:05 PM']Now that looks like a possibility. Still, it's a lot of cash to spend if it doesn't work out.
I think I'll sit and wait for the reviews, I've been disappointed too many times.[/quote]

Got the Relay G30 on Order. Will receive it tomorrow. If there´s somer Interest, I´ll write a short Review

Definitely interested in your opinion on it, as I'm in need of a wireless and a second cab to complete my live rig for the new band.
If possible could you try it with a nice high-output active bass? My Status has an 18V circuit and runs pretty hot, I'm always having to play with the gain on other people's amps, makes me leery of hitting headroom problems on a transmitter.

Cheers,
Nick

Edited by NickH

[quote name='AREA' post='665329' date='Nov 25 2009, 05:05 PM']Got the Relay G30 on Order. Will receive it tomorrow. If there´s somer Interest, I´ll write a short Review[/quote]

Yep, very interested in a review. Even more so a gig review but anything you can tell us will be useful.

Thanks.

In the German Bass Boards like "Bassprofessor.de" or "Bassic.ch" are many Members who use this System since it´s available. The Reviews are all very positive. Very good Dynamic Range and no Difference in Sound compared to a Cable.

But when I get home after Work today, it should be waiting for me.... :)

I´ll test and review, but I only have passive Fender 5-String Basses to test...

[quote name='AREA' post='665993' date='Nov 26 2009, 10:27 AM']In the German Bass Boards like "Bassprofessor.de" or "Bassic.ch" are many Members who use this System since it´s available. The Reviews are all very positive. Very good Dynamic Range and no Difference in Sound compared to a Cable.

But when I get home after Work today, it should be waiting for me.... :)

I´ll test and review, but I only have passive Fender 5-String Basses to test...[/quote]

Thanks, look forward to reading what you think.
I used to use my Fender P5 through my 2 AKG systems and it all worked fine. I find they handle the low notes pretty well.

[quote name='Finbar' post='666023' date='Nov 26 2009, 11:07 AM']Knowing nothing about the product...

As Line 6 bought X2, is this just the same technology as the X2, rebranded?[/quote]

I think its a different frequency. The us x2 is on 924 and the relay on 2.4

Digital Wireless got me....

Here´s a short Review.

At First, let me say I´m impressed.

As I said, when I come home the Parcel was waiting for me.

The G30 is real "Plug & Play" nothing you have to adjust or something. Just connect the receiver to the Power Supply, wich is included of course. What I like is, that you can power the Receiver with a Daisy Chain Cable also, when it´s added to your Pedal Board. The Receiver is very light. You feel it´s Plastic. Line 6 says ist not just Plastic, it´s Polycarbonate, wich is more sturdy. Time will tell, but what will you do to, or with the Receiver? Nothing. You won´t step on it or something. Little green Led Chains informes you about the Transmitting Status/Quality/Level/Strenght and about the Battery Status.
With one of the little silver Sliders you can select One of Six selectable Channels, with the other you can simmulate "Cable Tone" of a 15 or 30 Feet long Cable. Just have checked it very fast and it seems, that you loose some little Highs with Cable Tone, but you have to listen very exactly.

The Bodypack Transmitter is also "Bonehead-Simple". Two Signal LEDs show you that you a.) got an Audio Signal and b.) about the Battery Status. You also got a little silver Slider to select one of the six Channels. The Transmitter requieres two AA Size Batteries or Akkus. What I like about the Bodypack Transmitter is, that you can use every Mono Patch Cable to connect the Transmitter to your Bass or Guitar. You don´t have a special and expencive Cable or need one to buy if you like one as a Backup. Just use a Patch Cable in good Quality and about 50cm Length. By the Way, the Cable wich is delivered with the System, is a little bit stiff. It´s not the one you see on the Picture below.

Okay. So far so good.

Plugged in my passive Fender 5-String Bass and the first Thing you notice is: It´s absolut deadly quiet. You hear absolute nothing, if you don´t play. It´s like playing with Cable and it sounds like playing with Cable. I can´t hear any Difference. Same Dynamics, same Signal Quality, same Output Level. I´ve checked and compared it 2-3 Times. I can´t hear any Difference. Really. Tone is as punchy, warm as played through Cable and also the Low B shows no Compression like it does, if you play with analogue UHF Systems.

Then I went through my whole Appartement. From Living Room to Bedroom, Kitchen. Through 2-3 Walls. I still have had a Signal. No Drop Outs. Must be enough for every Stage we´re playing on.

That´s my first Impression and I have to say: I like it.
We´ve got Practice this Evening and of Course I will test it in our Bandroom too. But until now I lke to say: Recommended!!!

Thanks for the review AREA, looking forward to hearing more about it! :)

I've copied your review to [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=68730&pid=666302&st=0&#entry666302"]this thread in the Reviews section[/url]... if you have any further comments to add after your practice tonight, could you update that thread too? Thanks!

[quote name='Finbar' post='666277' date='Nov 26 2009, 03:38 PM']Be interested to hear about the battery life. Using 2 AAs is much better than 9vs. That's the only thing that would sway me from the X2 I have though, as they sound very similar otherwise.[/quote]

Practice Yesterday. We´ve played 2,5 Hours and the Batterys are still working. Can´t say how long they will last, but for me it´s long enough, because in our Gigs we play 2-3 Sets, so I can change Batterys between two Sets. No Problem at all.