Why become a member? ×

Where can I hear a BFM cab?

Mottlefeeder

There is a growing band of Basschatters who have built Bill Fitzmaurice speaker designs, and are pleased with the results. There is also a band of Basschatters who would not buy something they had not played or played through. This thread is an attempt to bring both groups together.

If you have built (or bought someone else's) BFM design, and are happy to talk about it, and allow others to try it out, please use this thread to tell people what you have, and the county or town in which you live.

It would also be useful if you gave details about whether you would prefer to meet at a gig, a rehearsal room, or at home, and a rough indication of your availability, e.g. evenings and weekends only, etc. Mentioning whether you use speakons, jacks, 4mm plugs, or any other connector might also be a good idea.

If anyone wishes to audition your gear, they should PM you, and between you, you sort out the date and venue.

Please do not use this thread to ask technical questions about BFM designs. There is a forum on Bill's website for that - http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/

To start the ball rolling, I have an Omni 12, and I live in the Warrington area, and I am around evenings and weekends. The cab is based in a church, which is available some evenings, or I can bring the cab home relatively easily. My amp and speaker are both jack based. There is a review here - http://billfitzmauri...opic.php?t=3324

The Omni 12 goes deeper than an Omni 10, but has three speakers and a crossover, which puts the price up a bit, however with a dedicated midrange unit, the clarity of the mids is stunning. It can also be built as a two way design, and mine is switchable to be 2 or 3 way.

2008 update: The Omni 12 has been sold and is now down in the Hertford area. I am now using a pair of Jack 10s

2020 update: The Jack 10s have been sold and I'm currently BFM-less

Edited by Mottlefeeder
Sold

Hi
I have a Omni 10 with no tweeters (didn't feel I needed them so left 'em out) and I have just completed an Omni 10.5 out of left over bits. this one has 2 tweeters. I use them independently and together with huge success (as far as I'm concerned!). Deals with my 5 string fine.
I also have a wedgehorn monitor - takes a bit of getting used to (6" driver - no bass at all so it's a 'cut through the crap' middly sound - not accurate but you can hear it with few feedback problems) but it is without doubt the most effective vocal monitor I have ever used.
Location, Norfolk/Suffolk border. (Diss)
max

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='60351' date='Sep 14 2007, 12:31 PM']There is a growing band of Basschatters who have built Bill Fitzmaurice speaker designs, and are pleased with the results. There is also a band of Basschatters who would not buy something they had not played or played through. This thread is an attempt to bring both groups together.

If you have built (or bought someone else's) BFM design, and are happy to talk about it, and allow others to try it out, please use this thread to tell people what you have, and the county or town in which you live.

It would also be useful if you gave details about whether you would prefer to meet at a gig, a rehearsal room, or at home, and a rough indication of your availability, e.g. evenings and weekends only, etc. Mentioning whether you use speakons, jacks, 4mm plugs, or any other connector might also be a good idea.

If anyone wishes to audition your gear, they should PM you, and between you, you sort out the date and venue.

Please do not use this thread to ask technical questions about BFM designs. There is a forum on Bill's website for that - [url="http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/"]http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/[/url]

To start the ball rolling, I have an Omni 12, and I live in the Warrington area, and I am around evenings and weekends. The cab is based in a church, which is available some evenings, or I can bring the cab home relatively easily. My amp and speaker are both jack based. There is a review here - [url="http://billfitzmaurice.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3324"]http://billfitzmaurice.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3324[/url]

The Omni 12 goes deeper than an Omni 10, but has three speakers and a crossover, which puts the price up a bit, however with a dedicated midrange unit, the clarity of the mids is stunning. It can also be built as a two way design, and mine is switchable to be 2 or 3 way.[/quote]
The aim of this tread was to provide a list of cabs that could each be heard at several locations. It obviously isn't working.

If you are still thinking about whether to post here, please do so in the next week. If we do not get a better representation, I will ask the Mods to remove the glue.

I think you have to realise that not acctualy that many basschatters have BFM cabs. Its mostly finnbassers who have them about to try at this point in time.

I'll shortly be building a pair of omni 10.5 cross fires (no backing out now woods been ordered) so once they are done more than happy for anyone around manchester to try them.

Think this may have to stay here for awhile if you want a serious response while more basschaters own them or finish building them.

Edited by Sugden

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I have built an Omni 15 ( without the horn ) for bass guitar.

[attachment=3604:DSCF0354.JPG]

Anyone in the Leeds area thinking of building one is welcome to come and try it out with my Markbass Little Mark 2, or bring your own head.

It sounds superb, but come and judge for yourself.

Im retired so available almost anytime

Regards --- Will.

I have a BFM Omni 10 cab, its the first one built by Bills authorised builder, Thumper, whom some of you may know. Being the first attempt, there are a couple of minor flaws, such as the handles are slightly off balanced, and the carpet finish has got a bit untidy if you look hard enough, but that doesn't worry me, because it sounds F*cking Brilliant!! I've been chucking it in the back of the car twice a week for the last few weeks, for gigs and rehearsals in rooms of varying sizes and this cab has never failed to deliver a decent sound. What strikes me is the clarity where every nuance of your playing is heard, there is no harshness at the top end and it has handled the lowB without any farting out in normal playing at gigging volume. I would say this is the best 2x10 I’ve ever used, and it outshines my previous Schroeder 1210 in so much as it doesn’t have the annoying (to me) mid bump, yet still cuts through the mix in a band situation. I use it with a LM2 head and a DHA VT-1 purist. I’m in Swindon, if anyone wants to have a go with it, preferably before my kids go to bed! I really rate these cabs and I know Thumper has sorted the balance out and I reckon the build quality and finish is now comparable to (and probably better than) high-end cabs at nearly double the price. If, like me, you haven't the time/space/inclination/skill/tools etc, its the ideal solution to getting a quality hand built cab at a very reasonable price

• 3 weeks later...

I've got 2 Omni 10.5 with switchable tweeters courtesy of Thumper over in the other place.

I'm in Bristol, available by appointment....

I'm still getting to grips with these cabs but so far i'm very impressed. They sound particularly good with upright bass.

Edited by TheRev

Listen to you guys whinging about making one little omni cab!... We are currently working on our 4th Titan 48 sub and have another 5 DR250s to make!!! :huh:

I can think of worse ways to spend my days. Although actually, I wouldn't recommend trying to make so many in such a short time period. You never have time to actually listen to the things :huh: :)

Edited by NJW

[quote name='BeLow' post='103460' date='Dec 12 2007, 06:01 PM']Finished tested briefly - work really well with my 15 speaker[/quote]

What 15 are you using it with? I've got a nemesis 15" cab at home and I've been wondering how well it would work with an omni 10.5 for a while, now

• 1 month later...

I have 4 DR280's, a pair of Titan 48's and a wedgehorn.

The DR280 is an amazing cab both as PA mid/top cab and also as a bass cab.

Any body is more than welcome to call and hear the cabs for themselves. I am in Chorley, Preston M61 Junction 8

Some photos:-

Old SWR amp shown here, I now use a little Mark Bass LMK

Wedgehorn:-

Here is link to a sound bite of the DR280 and Omni 15 recorded at the exact same level/ same bass head, same bass:-

DR280 (deltalite 12" driver and 12No 1016 piezo's) 8ohm
[url="http://www.pjltd.plus.com/DR280%20bass.wav"]http://www.pjltd.plus.com/DR280%20bass.wav[/url]

Omni 15 (6 piezo melded array) 8ohm
[url="http://www.pjltd.plus.com/Omni%2015%20bass.wav"]http://www.pjltd.plus.com/Omni%2015%20bass.wav[/url]

Link over at Bills forum on this very test:-

[url="http://billfitzmaurice.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4653"]Omni15 / DR280 comparison[/url]
Dave

Edited by david_l_perry

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='126412' date='Jan 23 2008, 08:09 PM']As soon as he has the new one built with the throat fillers and CPC piezos.......
And looking forward to it..... :huh:

Tell him to get his arse in gear :)

Dave[/quote]

Hi Dave

Welcome to the Forum.

Have you built any DR250s yet?

Regards -- Will. (Omni 15 Leeds )

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='126412' date='Jan 23 2008, 08:09 PM']As soon as he has the new one built with the throat fillers and CPC piezos.......
And looking forward to it..... :huh:

Tell him to get his arse in gear :)

Dave[/quote]

Hi again Dave

Just noticed the error on OMNI 15 sound bite data.

There are no Piezos, Just the Eminence sealed back MR8 mid range unit, and the Kappalite 3015LF Neo 15" drive, plus crossover units.

Will.

[quote name='2x18' post='126793' date='Jan 24 2008, 12:00 PM']Hi again Dave

Just noticed the error on OMNI 15 sound bite data.

There are no Piezos, Just the Eminence sealed back MR8 mid range unit, and the Kappalite 3015LF Neo 15" drive, plus crossover units.

Will.[/quote]

It must be your age Will, your memory is fading...... :huh:
I brought along my own 6bank piezo melded array if you remember and plugged it into the cab. It was certainly plugged in during the sound bite recording or wWithout it you would not be hearing that top end sizzle that both cabs have in abundance.

Sorry Mottlefeeder, managed to add noise to this thread :)

Back on topic

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='127677' date='Jan 25 2008, 12:41 PM']It must be your age Will, your memory is fading...... :)
I brought along my own 6bank piezo melded array if you remember and plugged it into the cab. It was certainly plugged in during the sound bite recording or wWithout it you would not be hearing that top end sizzle that both cabs have in abundance[/quote]

Ahh -- Yes you certainly did, I was thinking you were showing the specs for the cabinets. Sorry Dave!

Regards -- Will.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Im, in Leicester area, and have a Omni 10,
which I use as a top for my 15 inch bottom end, sounds unreal, dont realy need the 15, but hey,
here most evenings and weekends, more than welcome to try ect, bring your own bass, ect, if you like,
appointment essential, and ill arrange plenty of time, and so on,
Nothing compares to an omni, !!!!! a bit larger than most 2x10s, but , hearing is believing, !! :)

Mark

UPDATE, Now have 015 lowboy with comp horn, and a AutoTuba in the van !!!!!!!!!

Edited by thylacine23