Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* Ernie McMillen 5 String Jazz *SOLD*

Gareth Hughes

Hey Folks -

Up for sale is my Ernie McMillen Custom 5 String. Ernie's builds guitars for the Avalon Guitar Company. Recently he has been working on Zematis guitars at Avalon, which retail at $15,000. Before that he worked for 15 years for Lowden Guitars, during which time he built many of the Goodfellow Basses that were there between 1992-96. All this to say that the construction is top notch.

Enough about Ernie and now the bass:

Body is a regular jazz shape (taken from a mid 70's Fender template) and is mahogany. Unique feature is that the body wings are completely hollow to reduce weight. The pickups, bridge and neck block are on a solid center piece. The resulting weight is an even 9lbs, weighed on my local post office scales. Like the early Fender Tele basses this bass has no body contours - in order to allow for the hollow wings.

The neck is one piece maple, with a maple fingerboard. Scale length is 36" and has a tight and powerful B, and the other strings benefit enormously too. Neck is thin front to back, and has a flatter fingerboard than your average Fender.

The headstock has lightweight Gotoh tuners with a maple cap and rosewood veneer underneath for the logo. Bridge is by ABM with 17-18mm string spacing.

The pickups are by Bill Lawrence, the J45 model. These pickups have a huge frequency response and are very from low to high.

The preamp is an Audere JZ3 model, in a Vol/Vol/stacked Bass and Treble configuration and with the Z-mode switch to change the impedance. Combined with the pickups there are a huge range of tones available.

And now the only downside to this bass, and it's purely aesthetic. On the back of the bass there is some staining, coming from the center block out into the paint. As its only on the back of the bass it didn't bother me too much so I left it alone.

And finally - the price: All in, with the pickups and pre, this bass cost £1500 to get made. I'm selling it for £850 shipped to the UK. Selling as I have a few too many electric basses as I'm now playing mainly upright. No trades.

Thanks, Gareth

Edited by Gareth Hughes

Good point indeed. Edit done.

[quote name='largo' post='565282' date='Aug 10 2009, 07:16 PM']That's a very nice looking bass. I have one word of advice. If you say the back has some "staining" then you should probably show a picture of it, if you can. Other than that, good luck with the sale.[/quote]

Then you know you want it :) Or the torture will continue!!!

Good to hear from you Dave.

[quote name='LettuceFunk' post='565333' date='Aug 10 2009, 08:08 PM']Gareth i saw you play this one night in Bellini's in Newry with Matt McGinn and fell in love with it then. Now you are just torturing me.
Dave[/quote]

I had a noodle on this bass at Gareth's gaff a few months back. It's a corker! Didn't know it was a 36" - it was very comfortable.

I also have Gareth's Ernie Macmillan 4 string on loan at the minute. That man knows what makes a good bass. Blows the Wal I used to own right out of the water!

Deal with confidence here chaps. Gareth's a star!

[quote name='Captain Rumble' post='567223' date='Aug 12 2009, 07:47 PM']That is one beutiful bass
tell me is it still possible to sell children for scientific experiments -_-[/quote]

I think it depends on what the experiments are. I'm sure we at Basschat would understand such actions and the authorities need not be notified.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='569112' date='Aug 14 2009, 03:05 PM']Lowden made the other GB basses as well didn't they?[/quote]

Yep - from 1992 to 1996. I'm not sure of the model names/variations but I've seen a few that Ernie made, including his own personal one, and they really are a perfect blend of function and craftmanship.