Why become a member? ×

Lake District Mini-Bash

niceguyhomer

We had a mini-Bash last night at Greeneking's splendid pad in the beautiful Lake District. I took a few pics I thought I'd share. This is our 3rd or 4th Bash - can't remember and we meet to play with each other's new toys and then head for the pub for a pie, a pint and a Basschat discussion. It's always a totally civilised activity.

Last night, there was Peter's jaw dropping new 62 RI Precision - without doubt, the best P I've ever played bar none and his simply amazing M*X")?!Z>**% - check the headstock, even the guy who made it couldn't spell it so he put a symbol there. Russ brought his Kinal - a joy to play and one of the nicest sounding basses on the planet. I brought my Shuker and CMD102P.

Russ and the M*X")?!Z>**% - sounded so nice, the lady in the picture top left had an orgasm

Peter and the Kinal..

Russ' groin and Peter's chocolate rig

Some fat git pretending he can play a bass

That 62RI

Russ n Peter

Forgot to take pics of my Shuker, but it looks remarkably like this...

A very enjoyable night last night guys. Two lovely basses the Shuker and the Kinal.

I'm glad it wasn't just me with loving the retro passive AV 62 RI and the Maruszczck Elwood, I thought I was going bonkers :)

Edited by GreeneKing

Great fun once again, although I didn't realize I was quite [i]that[/i] fat, I really must get on a diet.

The Maroosh thingy jazz was [i]really[/i] tasty as was the P bass, and of course the Shuker was sublime. Big range of tones available from it, and very easy to play, lovely bass. Good score that one Al, I [i]really[/i] hope you can find the tone you want from it, because it's a cracker.

[quote name='Rayman' post='562064' date='Aug 6 2009, 04:27 PM']the Shuker was sublime. Big range of tones available from it, and very easy to play, lovely bass. Good score that one Al, I [i]really[/i] hope you can find the tone you want from it, because it's a cracker.[/quote]

Hmmm......... does this suggest you're not finding the tone you want from the Shuker Al or is it me putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5??

It does look a cracking bass - with the amount of control over tone it appears to have from the number of pots and 2 pups I imagine it's in there somewhere - it took me a while to find 'my' tone on my Shuker and I only have half the pots and switches you have. With it being quite a refined , smallish instrument I struggle to use it as a hammer. I fear the basic truth is it's too subtle for me. I gives me no end of joy at home , just having it in my hands pleases me , but under battle conditions I just want to hit things so it tends to loose out to the reish single coil P and the Shukerised Status - the latter having such silly massive bottom end I miss it when it's not there.

At some point in the near future I'll get stage 2 of the Status upgrading done - side LED's and smoother working pots .Daft as it seems that will pretty much make the Shuker redundant so far as my current types of gig goes.

Well Dave - where to start....it's quite bright sounding soloed but not unpleasantly so but I find myself knob twiddling like a possessed erm...person when I play with the band as its character completely changes in the mix. The pups are angled further away from the E/B strings and I think this is causing the lack of presence and punch I'm experiencing. I'm going to take it to Jon and get it fettled - even going as far as changing the pups if necessary.

It's a lovely bass and I don't regret buying it at all - it's just going to take a bit of time, money and effort to get it how I want it.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='562150' date='Aug 6 2009, 06:41 PM']The Markbass combo looks wicked. How did it compare to those little Aggies?

Wow at the 62![/quote]

I would swap my Markbass combo and a fair amount of cash for Peter's rig but I strongly suspect he wouldn't be interested. I bought the combo cos I was fed up humping a big rig around and heard good things about it. It has a sound of its own - very mid prominent but it's loud enough to gig most places and it's as light as a feather.

So I would say Peter's rig is superb and my combo is a good compromise for geriatrics like me who value their back more than their sound.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='562123' date='Aug 6 2009, 05:58 PM']Well Dave - where to start....it's quite bright sounding soloed but not unpleasantly so but I find myself knob twiddling like a possessed erm...person when I play with the band as its character completely changes in the mix. The pups are angled further away from the E/B strings and I think this is causing the lack of presence and punch I'm experiencing. I'm going to take it to Jon and get it fettled - even going as far as changing the pups if necessary.

It's a lovely bass and I don't regret buying it at all - it's just going to take a bit of time, money and effort to get it how I want it.[/quote]

Chippin' in here as that beauty was built for me. I miss looking at it, for sure.

I asked Jon to built a bass that had that "solo bass Marcus Miller sparkly highs and piano sound bass strings" type sound to compliment and contrast with the 5 string passive Precision he built for me before.
Well he really achieved that but I found I'd not really thought about my needs and abilities enough.

I too was knob twiddling endlessly during the few gigs I played it on simply trying to make it sound like my other Shuker. That's really why I decided not to keep it. I just don't play the kind of gigs where it would be able to shine.
It just needed to get out there and get some exercise and get infused with some gig vibes. It will improve with age and playing, I am sure.
As it is it can do a million tones and sounds great if your band leaves you sonic space to work in.
I am sure Jon can help achieve a more punchy tone as it's basically the tone woods of a JJB Shuker P bass so a different pickup set will probably make a large difference.

Stick with it Al.

[quote name='OldGit' post='562542' date='Aug 7 2009, 08:59 AM']Chippin' in here as that beauty was built for me. I miss looking at it, for sure.

I asked Jon to built a bass that had that "solo bass Marcus Miller sparkly highs and piano sound bass strings" type sound to compliment and contrast with the 5 string passive Precision he built for me before.
Well he really achieved that but I found I'd not really thought about my needs and abilities enough.

I too was knob twiddling endlessly during the few gigs I played it on simply trying to make it sound like my other Shuker. That's really why I decided not to keep it. I just don't play the kind of gigs where it would be able to shine.
It just needed to get out there and get some exercise and get infused with some gig vibes. It will improve with age and playing, I am sure.
As it is it can do a million tones and sounds great if your band leaves you sonic space to work in.
I am sure Jon can help achieve a more punchy tone as it's basically the tone woods of a JJB Shuker P bass so a different pickup set will probably make a large difference.

Stick with it Al.[/quote]

I'm sure Alan that the tone you want is in there and that Jon will be able to extract it whatever it takes :)

Yeh - thanks fellas - I have absolute confidence. As I said I have no regrets buying this bass - all the boxes are ticked and I'm sure it's only going to take a slight tweak to make it perfect.

Since we got together I've started being a bit bolder with the EQ and have got it sounding a lot better playing along to cds in my Tascam and that is a real indication of how it'll sound with the band.

I'm going to have a dabble at the weekend with the mid trim pot and maybe raise the pups a midge's ar5e on the B string side and see what that does.

I just need to find a decent back up bass so I can leave it with Jon for a while and we happy. :)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='562563' date='Aug 7 2009, 09:22 AM']Yeh - thanks fellas - I have absolute confidence. As I said I have no regrets buying this bass - all the boxes are ticked and I'm sure it's only going to take a slight tweak to make it perfect.

Since we got together I've started being a bit bolder with the EQ and have got it sounding a lot better playing along to cds in my Tascam and that is a real indication of how it'll sound with the band.

I'm going to have a dabble at the weekend with the mid trim pot and maybe raise the pups a midge's ar5e on the B string side and see what that does.

I just need to find a decent back up bass so I can leave it with Jon for a while and we happy. :)[/quote]

How about a '57 P like in Homer's ear?
I may be able to help there :rolleyes:

I would recommend trying before buying. I know that I was totally struck by how good this is put together and sounds but I'm no Fender connoisseur. Alan reckons it's the best P he's heard and others say that 08/09 Fenders are as good as any made, ever.

I've just done my 1st gig (ever) with it through a LMII, 2 x Aggire DB112's and an MXR M-80 D.I. and several bass players commented on how good the tone was.

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='564151' date='Aug 9 2009, 02:14 PM']I would recommend trying before buying. I know that I was totally struck by how good this is put together and sounds but I'm no Fender connoisseur. Alan reckons it's the best P he's heard and others say that 08/09 Fenders are as good as any made, ever.

I've just done my 1st gig (ever) with it through a LMII, 2 x Aggire DB112's and an MXR M-80 D.I. and several bass players commented on how good the tone was.

Peter[/quote]

Sounds good!

Im glad the rig is working out as well.