Why become a member? ×

Superfly questions?!?!?!?

waynepunkdude

I have recently bought a Superfly as a backup/small gig amp, I have it on my desk and I'm pondering additional uses.

1. Where can I download the editor from ? the link on the Ashdown website is broke.

2. Can I use it as an interface for my Ampeg software?

3. Could I use it as a headphone amp if I got an XLR to Jack converter and plugged into the balanced output?

4. What would I use the MIDI for?

5. Why didn't they put a tuner in this thing? Would have made sense.

Much love

Wayne

Edited by waynepunkdude

1. Try emailing Ashdown. They're usual helpful in these matters. Failing that I'm sure someone here will be able to sort you out. There's a copy of version 1.28 available to download [url="http://www.bassemporium.com/pdfs/SuperFly1.28.zip"]here[/url] but you should really be looking for v1.4 which I believe is the last version produced. The editor allows access to parameters not found on the front panel such as extra compressor controls and a parametric EQ instead of the graphic. Pity Ashdown weren't forward thinking enough to provide a Mac version of the editor.

2. According to the manual the USB connector is for interfacing with the editor program only and is not an audio interface.

3. The DI XLR socket is at microphone level (-20dB) so it probably won't be hot enough to drive a set of headphones on its own.

4. The MIDI socket allows you to change presets using a MIDI footswitch. Another missed opportunity by Ashdown, they could have used MIDI to access the parameter information using MIDI sys ex commands. Then any programmable editing software could have been used and we wouldn't have to rely on proprietary software running on a single platform only.

5. No idea. Although it does appear to be fairly packed with components as it is, and tends to run pretty hot. A tuner would probably require more circuitry and an extra button on the front panel. One more thing to wrong.

BTW If you don't have the manual you can download it [url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/tech/manuals/SuperflyManual.pdf"]from here[/url]

Great reply, I understood all except '4' but then I've never understood MIDI and always though it best to stear clear.

I have the software now but it doesn't like Vista not even in compatability mode so I'll have fire up my old XP laptop later. Can you make real time adjustments with it? because if you can't whats the point?

Last night I pluged the effects send into the Line in of my Perfect Ten, would that cause any problems?

MIDI's easy. The MIDI implementation on the Superfly is so basic they didn't even bother to supply a MIDI implementation chart with the manual. AFAICS it's MIDI in only to allow you to change between presets from another MIDI device. The only thing you can change is the MIDI channel that the Superfly will receive on, there's no even program mapping. Unless you need a hands-free way of switching between presets you won't need it.

No idea about what the editor is capable of as I use Macs rather than Windows and therefore all I know about the editor is what it says in the manual. Access to the extra parameters might be useful but without trying it, I could say for sure.

If you want to use it as a programmable EQ though, IMO you'd be better off with a Bass Pod.

A couple of things:

You can get the editor (v1.4) from Ashdown just by going to the legacy products page and going to the [url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=199"]Superfly 500 page[/url] where you will find a link to the [url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/software/SuperFly1.40.zip"]v1.4 editor[/url] and [url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/software/SuperflyUSBWindows.zip"]the USB driver[/url] (presumably for XP).

From my own experimenting, I would say that you need to connect the Superfly direct to your computer, not go through a USB hub.
You should also use XP, because Vista is a resource-hungry pile of poo that Microsoft can't wait to supersede, but that's not important right now.

If you have the Superfly connected to a PC, you can make changes on the fly, although it doesn't look very rock'n'roll.

I use mine with a Korg AX3000B which sends out program change messages on MIDI. As the Superfly's first ten slots are fixed presets, I use bank 4 (and upwards, if I start getting ambitious), patch 1 of which corresponds to program 12. I suppose if I was really ambitious, I could get an Arduino and program it to output some different program change but I think my needs are satisfied for now.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='558275' date='Aug 2 2009, 04:27 AM']it does appear to be fairly packed with components as it is, and tends to run pretty hot.[/quote]Get rid of the aluminum outer casings. If they'd been properly machined with fins for heatsinking the amp would run cooler, but being the slabs they are they retain heat instead of sloughing it away. They also double the weight of the amp. :)
I rack mounted mine, and with a computer style fan ventilating the rack it's never more than slightly warm to the touch.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='561171' date='Aug 5 2009, 01:20 PM']Get rid of the aluminum outer casings. If they'd been properly machined with fins for heatsinking the amp would run cooler, but being the slabs they are they retain heat instead of sloughing it away. They also double the weight of the amp. :)
I rack mounted mine, and with a computer style fan ventilating the rack it's never more than slightly warm to the touch.[/quote]

i noticed today that after playing for about half an hour there was a slightly funny smell, and inside i can see a very tiny orange glow. I'm guessing this is bad, would removing the casing help in any way?

Edit: should I make this a separate thread in the technical issues section?

Edited by Zach

[quote name='Zach' post='637520' date='Oct 27 2009, 12:29 AM']i noticed today that after playing for about half an hour there was a slightly funny smell, and inside i can see a very tiny orange glow. I'm guessing this is bad, would removing the casing help in any way?

Edit: should I make this a separate thread in the technical issues section?[/quote]

the orange glow is normal afaik. Happens in mine.