Why become a member? ×

Hi from Stirling

garry

hi everybody, thought i'd say hi after many months of informative & entertaining lurking! :)

been playing for about ten years, though had a couple of years of lazyness i'm now back with a bit of time to play with. involved with a couple of bands, im hoping one of them will be a good originals project to keep me entertained for a few years..... into all sorts of music rock/alt/punk rok/singer songwriter stuff

i sold a lot of gear a few years ago, so i am more or less starting out from scratch, currently playing a warwick corvette $$, and a proper cheapo frankenbass, which was the first p.o.s. i ever played, but i use to experiment with various pups etc.

Im planning to build a couple of BFM cabs in the near future, cos i love nothing more than spending hours in my shed hammering things! should have been a drummer.

currently looking out for a budget 2x10 to sit under my 1x15 - the credit crunch restricting my GAS big time.

great forum, hope to chat soon

cheers :rolleyes:

garry

hi bassmonster.... early days yet I have went through the audition stage with a few bands, a couple of them seem a good fit but the projects are quite different & i have yet to decide! will have to keep it under my hat till then.....

one band is early stages, a handful of good originals, quite relaxed a lot of room for creative input but not sure how long it would take to get the project off the ground.

the other is more developed, their last bass player left so i would be stepping into his shoes, they are a regularly gigging originals band, seem like a good bunch of people, but the material is already more or less complete, they are planning to record first album at end of the year. thing is they are (imho) a really talented group, thought the current songs dont have masses of bass parts - will have to change that for second album!

i will update the story as it develops!

i am waiting to see what musical situation i find myself in before buying new gear - i will be asking a lot of advice on here at that point.....

Whereabouts are you bassmonster? will i have seen you play by any chance?

Not gigged in stirling for a few years now, there is a big indy scene in stirling at the moment which makes it hard for a metal band to get a gig to be honest, my band HATCH played quite a few places a few years back, but we've been fairly inactive for the past few years just started gigging again, but it looks like most of our gigs will be in glasgow, which i prefer anyway. you won't have a problem getting help on here, lots of folk on here really know their stuff, and can play a bit too

[quote name='Bassmonster' post='554477' date='Jul 28 2009, 10:00 PM']Not gigged in stirling for a few years now, there is a big indy scene in stirling at the moment which makes it hard for a metal band to get a gig to be honest, my band HATCH played quite a few places a few years back, but we've been fairly inactive for the past few years just started gigging again, but it looks like most of our gigs will be in glasgow, which i prefer anyway. you won't have a problem getting help on here, lots of folk on here really know their stuff, and can play a bit too[/quote]

yeah i tend to end up in Glasgow/Edinburgh for music - i got in touch with the people im currently playing with through good old Gumtree - almost no Stirling based action there.....

Cool i will keep a look out for Hatch gigs!

Cheers

Garry

Welcome to the forum Garry.

I used to be a Stirlingite (or whatever we're called), but moved up here. The music scene in Perth is pants too.
Most of our gigs have been in the Dunblane area! We did a support gig in the boating club in riverside which was a good little gig a few weeks back, but other than that we haven't played in Stirling.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='554813' date='Jul 29 2009, 09:49 AM']Welcome to the forum Garry.

I used to be a Stirlingite (or whatever we're called), but moved up here. The music scene in Perth is pants too.
Most of our gigs have been in the Dunblane area! We did a support gig in the boating club in riverside which was a good little gig a few weeks back, but other than that we haven't played in Stirling.[/quote]

aye not a lot going on in stirling, or perth either for that matter, was in glasgow last night for a rehearsal, the traffic on the M80 is shocking right now though!

any gigs again in stirling drop me a line and ill be sure to check yoos out.....

Yup, I used to be a Stirling man too.

Only moved through to edinburgh last year. Seems this forum is made up of people who have lived in or around Stirling.

I was never in a band in the 7 years I stayed in Stirling but that's prob more to do with the fact I was never pro-active at all. There was never anything going on though short of the same old guys playing their covers in o'neills every month. Edinburgh's better though. Maybe nothing like Glasgow in terms of live music but a good change anyway.

I'm back in stirling every now and then too so you should definitely get everyone on here to come to your gigs.