Why become a member? ×

Hartke LH1000?

plumbob

Thinking I may need a spare amp head , are these still a good deal compared to when they first came out .dont know what the original price was ,best I've seen so far is this

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180356634457"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=180356634457[/url]

Currently using an old 1973 Ampeg B4B Valve head into a 4x10 cabinet , I dont expect the Hartke to be as warm sounding ,but what are users opinions.

Cheers

It's a great price - only slightly more than an LH500. Things to be aware of; the power's split into two feeds - unless you use the speakon bridge out which then delivers so much power, you'll prob blow the cones out of your single cab. The LH500 is a single feed. Apparently they LH1000s a fair bit heavier too. Reverb doing the LH500 for £299 at the mo.

If you're running a couple of cabs though, this would prob sound HUGE.

Edit: first impressions of the LH500 (at low level) is that it is very warm sounding; creamy almost. Mert will prob be along in a minute to back that up!

Edited by stingrayfan

[quote name='plumbob' post='553597' date='Jul 28 2009, 09:29 AM']Thinking I may need a spare amp head , are these still a good deal compared to when they first came out .dont know what the original price was ,best I've seen so far is this

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180356634457"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=180356634457[/url]

Currently using an old 1973 Ampeg B4B Valve head into a 4x10 cabinet , I dont expect the Hartke to be as warm sounding ,but what are users opinions.

Cheers[/quote]

That looks a decent price!

I'm not sure why you doubt how 'warm sounding' the Hartke will be; I've played some SS amps that are far warmer sounding than valve amps and by all accounts the Hartke does a decent impression of valve 'warmth'.

Looking at that eBay listing, one thing I'd want clarifying is; what power is the Hartke delivering into what loads?

Dual Parallel Mode: 2 x 225 watts @ 8 ohms, 2 x 320 watts @ 4 ohms, 2 x 545 watts @ 2 ohms

I'm thinking/typing out loud here but I'd have to assume that 2 x 545 watts @ 2 ohms = a pair of 4 ohm cabs releases the full power and that you'd be getting 320 watts into a pair of 8 ohm cabs... yes that has to be it! :)

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='553609' date='Jul 28 2009, 09:45 AM']It's a great price - only slightly more than an LH500. Things to be aware of; the power's split into two feeds - unless you use the speakon bridge out which then delivers so much power, you'll prob blow the cones out of your single cab. The LH500 is a single feed. Apparently they're a fair bit heavier too. Reverb doing the LH500 for £299 at the mo.

If you're running a couple of cabs though, this would prob sound HUGE.

Edit: first impressions of the LH500 (at low level) is that it is very warm sounding; creamy almost. Mert will prob be along in a minute to back that up![/quote]

Doh! Must type quicker.

Similar line of thought though. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='553610' date='Jul 28 2009, 09:45 AM']That looks a decent price!

I'm not sure why you doubt how 'warm sounding' the Hartke will be; I've played some SS amps that are far warmer sounding than valve amps and by all accounts the Hartke does a decent impression of valve 'warmth'.

Looking at that eBay listing, one thing I'd want clarifying is; what power is the Hartke delivering into what loads?

Dual Parallel Mode: 2 x 225 watts @ 8 ohms, 2 x 320 watts @ 4 ohms, 2 x 545 watts @ 2 ohms

I'm thinking/typing out loud here but I'd have to assume that 2 x 545 watts @ 2 ohms = a pair of 4 ohm cabs releases the full power and that you'd be getting 320 watts into a pair of 8 ohm cabs... yes that has to be it! :)[/quote]

Think its 2 x (225w at 8ohm) to equivalent to 550w split between 2 cabs.

If you're sensible you shouldn't have a problem bridging the LH1000 into a single medium to large cab, just don't expect to be able to crank it all the way up without the cab complaining (and then damage occurring if you ignore the bad noises). If that much power scares you then you can just use one channel. Then again the LH500 is lighter and has plenty of power.

Alex

I know this is a bit of and old topic

If I run two 8 Ohm cabinets, one each side ill get 225 watts per side meaning 450 all together right?

I think I answered my own question there, but just needed to check as I can't find a definitive answer anywhere as im new to looking at heads & cabs.

Cheers

Just been reading the LH1000 technical review in Bass Gear Magazine.. seems this head is a very able little beast. At that price, I would get one just to have a 1000W power amp for a set up!