Why become a member? ×

London Jazz Festival at the Barbican

toneknob

Check out [url="http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/series.asp?id=761"]http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/series.asp?id=761[/url] - London Jazz festival has some brilliant shows in store. There's two performances on the same day by Chick Corea/LennyWhite/Stanley Clarke, supported by a cut-down Flecktones - Bela Fleck/Victor Wooten/Regi Wooten. Then a week later Marcus Miller is performing his "Tutu Revisited - The Music of Miles Davis" show.

get practising...

Edited by toneknob

I look forward to seeing some old friends I hope they have improved on their scales... etc

Jazz

[quote name='toneknob' post='548979' date='Jul 23 2009, 02:52 PM']Check out [url="http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/series.asp?id=761"]http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/series.asp?id=761[/url] - London Jazz festival has some brilliant shows in store. There's two performances on the same day by Chick Corea/LennyWhite/Stanley Clarke, supported by a cut-down Flecktones - Bela Fleck/Victor Wooten/Regi Wooten. Then a week later Marcus Miller is performing his "Tutu Revisited - The Music of Miles Davis" show.

get practising...[/quote]

• 3 months later...

Travelled down for this today, id had my ticket bought well in advance...

Not a great Jazz fan but to see Wooten and Clarke in action was fantastic... and the grace with which Chic Corea plays piano is a joy to watch.

They finished with an all out jam; Clarke offered out Wooten on a "thump off" and Clarke took it down!

I was at the Wooten/Clarke gig - was great to see them together and the Flecktones won out the battle of the bands as the Corea trio was a bit 'jammy' but Chick is still one of the greatest living pianists - and Wooten's solo on the Sinister Minister was pure class, 360 degree spin and bass chucking and all - a really fun couple of hours.

More bass gigs this week (I previewed the lot in BGM this month BTW) - but here they are:

Janek is playing at Zigfrid von Underbelly tomorrow

Dom Dipiazza at Charlie Wright's on Wednesday

Dave Holland at the Queen Elizabeth Hall on Friday

Esperanza Spalding at Ronnie Scott's on Saturday (but it's sold out)

Marcus Miller at the Barbican on Sunday

I'm so glad there's this lot in town as I'm missing Bass day - should be wicked! See you there

M

[quote name='Ray' post='656328' date='Nov 16 2009, 08:05 PM']I heard that Lenny White's mobile phone rang during Stanley Clarke's solo![/quote]

Yeah - he looked sooooooo embarrassed - Chick had gone to the back of the stage to let Clarke have the spotlight for a bit and then this phone starts and then Lenny W got up and ran to the back of the stage to hide his head in Chick's shoulder... he was laughing and Stan took it well and made a joke but it was a bit like... er dude, leave your phone in the dressing room...

I managed to meet Vic after the gig - he had come to the stage door and was signing a few things for people - I've met him before and I was pleasantly surprised he remembered me - in person he's one of the coolest and nicest guys on the planet and one of the best of all time too.

M

I was there Sunday night......good grief what a show!

Clarke's instrumental piece was absolutely spell binding! Anyone else there on Sunday was also treated to an incredible rendition of Amazing Grace on the Harmonica.

Best bit: Wooten crept in and sat in a vacant seat by the aisle during Chick Corea's set, one song later a woman walked in and quite rudely stepped over Wooten to get to the next seat which was hers, sat down and....... promptly fell asleep.....for the ENTIRE 2nd set!

Haha, unreal! There is ignorance, and there is ignorance but THAT I stuggle to understand. Sleeping whilst sitting next to THE MAN to watch THE GUYS play a blinding set at a great venue. Maybe she was just overcome by the excitement.

Crazy!

[quote name='RaNoFuNkY' post='657614' date='Nov 17 2009, 11:07 PM']I was there Sunday night......good grief what a show!

Clarke's instrumental piece was absolutely spell binding! Anyone else there on Sunday was also treated to an incredible rendition of Amazing Grace on the Harmonica.

Best bit: Wooten crept in and sat in a vacant seat by the aisle during Chick Corea's set, one song later a woman walked in and quite rudely stepped over Wooten to get to the next seat which was hers, sat down and....... promptly fell asleep.....for the ENTIRE 2nd set!

Haha, unreal! There is ignorance, and there is ignorance but THAT I stuggle to understand. Sleeping whilst sitting next to THE MAN to watch THE GUYS play a blinding set at a great venue. Maybe she was just overcome by the excitement.

Crazy![/quote]

The poor woman probably got dragged along by her bassist husband and couldn't have been more bored....let her sleep lol.
At least she'll go away thinking "I had a great sleep", rather than "I was so bored" haha

oh, and for the equality people:
She probably had been on tour gigging for the past 2 weeks, let her rest! :)

Si

I traveled up from Brighton to the Barbican on Sunday. The trains were screwed up beyond belief and I only caught Flecktones encore. I took over 4 hours to get there when it should have been 56 mins ! Gutted.
Really loved Stanley's playing. I've always preferred his upright playing and he didn't disappoint.
What was the deal with Chick's wife doing the vocal standard bit ? I thought it was pretty terrible and messed up the continuity of the gig plus she fell flat on her arse by falling over a monitor.