Why become a member? ×

6 string basses....

Rumble

I recently bought a great Status 6'er. I'd always wanted a Graphite necked Status and this one really lives up to all my expectations; great feel to the neck, fab electrics and a brilliantly low action, but........ I'm........well, I'm just not sure what to do with all those high notes in a musical, playing in a band context.

I know it may sound a bit silly, but I'm coming to the conclusion that you really do have to be playing a certain type of music to utilize the upper register to it's full extent. I've enjoyed learning chords and it's made me a bit more fretboard concious, but I'm not into tapping and never get the opportunity to do the whole solo up the neck bit.

So what do you use yours for and can you give me some tips on other ways I can utilize a fab bass a bit more? Should I persevere?

I mostly play jazz and funk.

But I think that once you've got used to the extra notes then you can use it for any genre of music.

I couldn't manage now with just a 4 string bass, I was playing a 5 string for many years, and a 6 for the last few years. I'd really miss the low notes, the lowest E flat on a 4 string is only a semitone lower than the low E on a guitar, a lot of stuff I play is in E flat.

And the high C string is there when you need it, a lot of people now play a 5 string with a high C and a detuner.

Definately stick with it.

Definitely stick with it! As it happens, I really love prog, which seems to lend itself to all those lovely techniques you mention. However, I used to play in a female fronted acoustic/rock band and used tapping / chords and the extended range to play 'acoustic guitar' or piano like parts to fill out the sound. On a few songs I tried to make the bass less 'bass-like', using more of a pecussive, even harpsicord type tone (using additional effects). Big swooshy stereo echos and reverbs sound awesome up the scale, in the same way as they do on our thin stringed cousins.

I also love being able to harmonise with another soloing instrument. Even just a bar or 2 sounds great, for example, whilst Mr guitar slinger is doing his best Brian May impression, find a phrase that stands out in his solo and work out a harmony for it. Brings a solo to life when you play it live, as you can get right up into the same range (give or take..)

[quote name='BassManKev' post='58296' date='Sep 10 2007, 04:56 PM']any links to some good sites explaining and demonstrating the various amounts of chords? im new to the 6 string thing too[/quote]

[url="http://www.guitar-and-bass.com/"]http://www.guitar-and-bass.com/[/url] I like Dave's site. Very helpful and some great tools available for use.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='58296' date='Sep 10 2007, 04:56 PM']any links to some good sites explaining and demonstrating the various amounts of chords? im new to the 6 string thing too[/quote]

I found www.studybass.com really useful. Loads of different bits'n'bobs on there.

[quote name='dood' post='58306' date='Sep 10 2007, 05:06 PM']Definitely stick with it! As it happens, I really love prog, which seems to lend itself to all those lovely techniques you mention.[/quote]

By "those lovely techniques" are you referring to tapping?! For those, such as yourself, who have mastered the art so that it sounds the dogs whatsits (love your bass BTW, so cool it's almost arctic!), it's great, but TBPH I have no inclincation to learn it and no opportunity to use it if I was to learn it. The chords are the only bit I really have the chance to play with, so I guess I'm asking whether it's worth keeping a 6'er just for that?

[quote name='Rumble' post='58391' date='Sep 10 2007, 07:16 PM']By "those lovely techniques" are you referring to tapping?! For those, such as yourself, who have mastered the art so that it sounds the dogs whatsits (love your bass BTW, so cool it's almost arctic!), it's great, but TBPH I have no inclincation to learn it and no opportunity to use it if I was to learn it. The chords are the only bit I really have the chance to play with, so I guess I'm asking whether it's worth keeping a 6'er just for that?[/quote]

Thank U ;o) very kind sir! Well, I wasn't just refering to tapping alone, but it is just one. I like using the high strings for pecussive and strumming techniques as well. Hell! I have even played rhythm guitar parts all the way through a song to give it a bit more energy. I think chords are a great technique on bass, as you can really dig deep! Especially if you can get an open low string in there too!

Another style you could look at is maybe arpeggiating chords? From a guitar point of view, an excellent example would be Andy Summers' playing in the Police. "Every Breath You Take" or "Message In A Bottle" show how chords such as 9ths and other extensions can be split into pleasing riffs and turn arounds. Something to try on the bass too?

mmmm you got me thinking now! I'm off to play!!!!

I use my six for probably 95% of gigs, ranging from widdly jazz stuff to rock and function work. On some gigs, it may be overkill but just because those higher notes are there, it doesn't mean you have to play them. It's a funny thing with bassists - a pianist wouldn't worry that their piano was too much for the pop songs they play on it :)

One big advantage of the six string is that you have two octaves in one hand position, which I find really useful for sigh reading gigs as I'm not worrying about shifting all the time.

Cheers,
Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='59778' date='Sep 13 2007, 11:31 AM']It's a funny thing with bassists - a pianist wouldn't worry that their piano was too much for the pop songs they play on it :)

Cheers,
Alun[/quote]

Yes, another reason why I can't understand the whole 'how many strings' debate!

Alun, Dood,...... How long did it take you to get used to playing the sixer?

I know what you mean about the "isn't it overkill to have all those strings for doing covers" thing. My problem is that people might automatically assume that I'm part way decent to have something so fancy with all those strings.......and then they hear me and the illusion is swiftly broken to my shame and embarrasment!

I first got a six 11 years ago and set myself a goal to play it on a gig I had a fortnight later which got me learning quickly ( I had been playing four string for about seven years at that point). I don't think I played that well on the gig, but it got me started. I don't remember exactly how long it took to feel really comfortable with it, I guess a few months to stop playing the low B instead of the E and to feel "at home" on it. Getting my muting and picking technique up to where it was on four string did take a while ( my picking hand is my weakest area and one I still struggle to get as I want it sometimes!).

I love the six because I do quite a bit of dep work and, as well as the reading thing I mentioned earlier, I know I'll have the range to do whatever the gig entails, whether it's pumping roots all night or covering come chord parts/soloing/whatever.

Regarding tapping, I actually used to do much more on four string than I do on the six as I now have the wider range in one position and can play chordal parts "normally". I still do some tapping sometimes but generally play chords fingerstyle now. I did try tapping chords on a gig a couple of weeks back and realised how rusty that side of my playing is!

Cheers,
Alun

See, when you start talking about dep'ing, sight reading and tapping chords, I'm thinking to myself, this guy's good; no wonder he plays a 6. So the most obvious question that springs to mind is do you really need to have the 4 and/or 5 string sorted, with regards to fretboard knowledge and technique before progressing onto a 6?

Hi, I have been playing the 6er for around 8-9 years possibly. I sort of dumped myslef into the deep end really, as I had been playing 4 string for years then stopped completely to play lead guitar in a fairly successful band. When the band in question split, I went back to bass with a new view. I wanted to carry on using those guitar techniques I had been using. Interetingly, my first 'outing' was to find a really good 5er, but it was a partne at the time who spotted the 6 string and simply said, "bet you can't play that!" - The gauntlet was laid!

I picked the bass up and had a good rattle about on it, basically fell in love then and there! I played dozens of other 6ers around that time.. but, to cut the stroy short, I still have the very same 6er to this day, years later!

It took me a little while to get used to the feel of the bass, considering I'd been playing nothing but guitars for the 6 years before. However, on the flipside, it did mean that I was learning frsh and hadn't gotten used to the EADG of a 4 string prior to picking the 6er up.

In short.. no, I don't think you have to be proficient on a 4 string to take on a 6er. You don't have to be able to drive a car to learn to drive a lorry, after all!

Go for it and don't let 'opinions' cloud your judgement. ;o)

Good Luck!

Dan

[quote name='dood' post='60032' date='Sep 13 2007, 07:07 PM']In short.. no, I don't think you have to be proficient on a 4 string to take on a 6er. You don't have to be able to drive a car to learn to drive a lorry, after all![/quote]
Really?! I thought you did, but then I suppose they have a separate HGV test, so I bow to your greater knowledge.

[quote name='dood' post='60032' date='Sep 13 2007, 07:07 PM']Go for it and don't let 'opinions' cloud your judgement. ;o)

Good Luck!

Dan[/quote]

Ta for the encouragement! The odd thing is, the people I play, and have played, with think I'm pretty reasonable, but it's a personal confidence thing and just wondering whether I 'need' a 6 to do what I enjoy doing, after all, like I've said before, I don't want to do the tapping or really fiddly solos bit, but...

Hi, I've just got my first 6er and as everyone has said, it's a whole new pan of cuttlefish to deal with.
I've been playing on and off for 20 years so if anything it will probably be harder to adjust from 4 to 6 strings.
That said I play acoustic guitar and I thought that would help me, wrong. Playing bass and playing guitar are two totally different things.
The more you have the bass in your hands and the more you play it the easier it will come.

As has already been said, you don't have to use the entire fretboard just because it's there. I've only been playing bass for about 15 months, but 6 (and now 7) stringers for at least half of that, so never become a 4 string expert before moving on.
The longer you play on ERB's the more comfortable you will become with them, generally the tuning is always in 4ths, so the same scale/chord patterns apply all over the neck. I don't do much tapping (still in early learning), but I use chords all the time.
One of the things I did to "discover" the range a bit more was to transpose some music from other instruments (classical guitar, cello, piano) to play on my 6 & 7.

Good luck & keep at it.
Pete.

[quote name='tempo' post='60298' date='Sep 14 2007, 11:05 AM']One of the things I did to "discover" the range a bit more was to transpose some music from other instruments (classical guitar, cello, piano) to play on my 6 & 7.[/quote]

Thanks Pete,

I must admit this is one of the things I'd recently thought about doing this. Where can I find nice pieces of music to have a go at?

Ta

Andy

[quote name='Rumble' post='60414' date='Sep 14 2007, 02:28 PM']Thanks Pete,

I must admit this is one of the things I'd recently thought about doing this. Where can I find nice pieces of music to have a go at?

Ta

Andy[/quote]

I am taking it you don't read much standard notation from earlier post, [url="http://www.classtab.org/index.htm"]http://www.classtab.org/index.htm[/url] has loads of Bach cello pieces (and other classical guitar stuff) written in tab for guitar, you just need to make slight adjustment in fingering due to guitar tuning (not straight 4ths).
Alternatively, if you do read (and its always good to), there are scores for most instruments and styles everywhere.

Cheers, Pete.

Hello lads im hoping to buy a 6 string fairly soon (when i,ve sold off enough gear im not really using)

just looking for some advice

1. would it be wise to play a 5 then move on to 6

im a bit lost on the 5s ive tried so i figure why not be lost on the 6
i need the B to cover some of the stuff i like to play
as for the C i used to play guitar so it would be nice to have the option to play chords

2. I feel i would need to swap completely to the 6

how many of you still play 4 or keep one around for certain gigs
im unwilling to part with my jazz bass and will only do so to get enough cash to get the 6
but would i be better off to get rid of it

3. is there a certain amount of pressure when you walk into a gig or new band rehersal with a 6

do people expect you to be a monster player or do they even notice

4.whats the general time frame from getting the 6 to gigging it

5.some of the bands i play with do covers that are tuned down a half step

some the lads bring extra guitars, some of them move the song to a key their happier with,
some of them play it as they hear it ,using standard tuning (which dosent sound great on certain songs)

so im hoping having the extra range will leave me in a position where i can use standard
tuning all the time no matter what the guitars are doing
does it sound strange to play like this or does it depend on the song

Im also not sure what bass to go for but ill save that debate untill i get the cash together

[quote name='frank' post='60637' date='Sep 14 2007, 10:47 PM']1. would it be wise to play a 5 then move on to 6[/quote]

If you want to play a six then go for a 6... if you want to play a 5, go for a 5. Either way you will be confused for some time.

[quote]how many of you still play 4 or keep one around for certain gigs[/quote]

I have a 4 string I use for teaching purposes, but I have only used it for gigs a few times in the last ten or more years when my six string was getting repaired. I was able to play it no problem at all. I also use a 4 string EUB for most of my current gigs - swapping between 4 and 6 is not a problem.

[quote]3. is there a certain amount of pressure when you walk into a gig or new band rehersal with a 6
do people expect you to be a monster player or do they even notice[/quote]

I've never noticed this pressure - my focus is on playing the music well and making a connection with the other musicians. Sometimes they notice an unusual instrument, sometimes not. However, they usually always notice whether you play well or not. So, it's not the instrument, whatever it is, it is how well you play it that matters.

[quote]4.whats the general time frame from getting the 6 to gigging it[/quote]

It depends on how much time you spend practicing. The sooner you get gigging with it, the sooner you'll get used to it, but you may have to be prepared to go through of phase of not playing as fluently as you are used to.

[quote]5.some of the bands i play with do covers that are tuned down a half step
so im hoping having the extra range will leave me in a position where i can use standard
does it sound strange to play like this or does it depend on the song[/quote]

The six works well for this - the extended range is fantastic, especially if you are transposing on the spot. I've never needed to use any tuning other than standard with my six string.

Jennifer

[url="http://www.jenniferclarkbass.com"]http://www.jenniferclarkbass.com[/url]

Edited by endorka

[quote name='Rumble' post='60028' date='Sep 13 2007, 06:56 PM']See, when you start talking about dep'ing, sight reading and tapping chords, I'm thinking to myself, this guy's good; no wonder he plays a 6. So the most obvious question that springs to mind is do you really need to have the 4 and/or 5 string sorted, with regards to fretboard knowledge and technique before progressing onto a 6?[/quote]

I wouldn't say you need to have previous knowledge of other bass types, in some ways it may even be easier to not have any habits from 4 or 5 string basses. Ultimately, if you're comfortable with the six and producing good music, it's not important what other people's preconceptions are.

Cheers,
Alun

[quote name='frank' post='60637' date='Sep 14 2007, 10:47 PM']Hello lads im hoping to buy a 6 string fairly soon (when i,ve sold off enough gear im not really using)

just looking for some advice

1. would it be wise to play a 5 then move on to 6

im a bit lost on the 5s ive tried so i figure why not be lost on the 6
i need the B to cover some of the stuff i like to play
as for the C i used to play guitar so it would be nice to have the option to play chords

2. I feel i would need to swap completely to the 6

how many of you still play 4 or keep one around for certain gigs
im unwilling to part with my jazz bass and will only do so to get enough cash to get the 6
but would i be better off to get rid of it

3. is there a certain amount of pressure when you walk into a gig or new band rehersal with a 6

do people expect you to be a monster player or do they even notice

4.whats the general time frame from getting the 6 to gigging it

5.some of the bands i play with do covers that are tuned down a half step

some the lads bring extra guitars, some of them move the song to a key their happier with,
some of them play it as they hear it ,using standard tuning (which dosent sound great on certain songs)

does it sound strange to play like this or does it depend on the song

Im also not sure what bass to go for but ill save that debate untill i get the cash together[/quote]

Hi Frank, here are my thoughts on this one....

1, I was considering a five string when I found my first six and thought the same as you - if I have to learn one new string, I might as well learn two :) I've never owned a five string, just went straight from four to six, so I don't see a problem

2, I did use a six pretty much exclusively for a few years, but now switch between that, a Jazz, a violin bass, an Ashbory and now an EUB depending on the gig and the sound I'm after. I don't find it too weird but do occasionally forget I don't have the extra strings on the Jazz when doing chord stuff.

3, There can be a bit of a "vibe" sometimes but often more from punters than musicians. Some people do listen with their eyes unfortunately :huh:

4, As Jennifer said basically. I set myself a goal of being able to play a few songs on it at a gig I had a fortnight later, just to get the first one out of the way really.

5, The six is ideal for covering drop D and Eb tunes without retuning. Only time I've detuned was with a band who did a lot of riffs with pulloffs in drop D which were a nightmare to play in standard tuning so I did drop the E down - BDADGC.

Cheers,
Alun

Thanks for the help everyone

Swapping straight to 6 is the thing for me
im not giging much at the minute so that should give me space to get my head round it

neck dimensions, string spaceing, scale lenght and pickup layout is fairly much down to personal taste,

but does anyone know of some good info along these lines