Why become a member? ×

Show us your double neck

Mr Bassman

I remember playing a single fretted one of those, and being really disappointed in the sound, it had a very thin sound and no sustain.

I believe Ned Steinberger had the same experience when he first came up with the design, until he clamped it down to a work bench, obviously the bass he ultimately built was made of carbon fibre to overcome the poor sound.

I bet you don't have that trouble with this one though, that's very nice !.

I bet you get a few odd looks when you open the case and take that out.

Superb.

Headless, Stein style body, 2 necks, fretless and fretted - pretty much ticks al the boxes :-)

Being an old prog fanboy I love double necks - I'm just in the middle of making my 2nd double necked guitar and I toying with a double neck bass as next years project.

Do you gig it?

[quote name='ZPQ' post='57721' date='Sep 9 2007, 01:45 PM']Superb.

Headless, Stein style body, 2 necks, fretless and fretted - pretty much ticks al the boxes :-)

Being an old prog fanboy I love double necks - I'm just in the middle of making my 2nd double necked guitar and I toying with a double neck bass as next years project.

Do you gig it?[/quote]

I don't gig it nowadays, although I did take it out to an open mic session a couple of months ago.

• 2 years later...

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='57669' date='Sep 9 2007, 11:17 AM']I bought this in the mid eighties.

According to Washburn there were only six brought into U.K.

Anyone else got one?

[attachment=33488:misc_078.jpg][attachment=33487:twin_cropped.jpg][/quote]

Now up for adoption, [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=61427"]sale or trade[/url]

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='57669' date='Sep 9 2007, 11:17 AM']I bought this in the mid eighties.

Anyone else got one?

I've got two `separate' Bantams, one fretted, one fretless - I could always glue them together! I recall the Guitarist mag review of one of these twin necks back in around '86.

Anyone else got one?

:lol: While I've got the camera out. . . . . . I've got one of these!
Does it count having too many strings on the other neck? :) :rolleyes:

[attachment=33580:MrLee.jpg][attachment=33581:RicF.jpg][attachment=33582:RicBac.jpg]

Flat Eric :lol:

[quote name='FlatEric' post='609854' date='Sep 27 2009, 10:04 AM']:lol: While I've got the camera out. . . . . . I've got one of these!

[attachment=33580:MrLee.jpg][attachment=33581:RicF.jpg][attachment=33582:RicBac.jpg]

Flat Eric :lol:[/quote]

Wow, thats cool, never new they made a Ric 4080 copy, its got straight through necks too....

I'm pretty sure someone on BC has one the wonderful Wal double necks.

I remember seeing Jonas Hellborg a couple of time with one and speaking to Ian Waller about them - I think at the time Wal had only made a couple and Ian wasn't sure where the other one went (if I recall - I am getting on a bit and the old memories are fading). Jonas was amazing and Ian was such a nice guy. Great instrument also !

[quote name='purpleblob' post='609860' date='Sep 27 2009, 10:12 AM']I'm pretty sure someone on BC has one the wonderful Wal double necks.

I remember seeing Jonas Hellborg a couple of time with one and speaking to Ian Waller about them - I think at the time Wal had only made a couple and Ian wasn't sure where the other one went (if I recall - I am getting on a bit and the old memories are fading). Jonas was amazing and Ian was such a nice guy. Great instrument also ![/quote]

I used to own this Wal twin neck - there were around 7 made:

Fantastic bass - one (or is that two!?) that I should have kept!

Nick

[quote name='FlatEric' post='609854' date='Sep 27 2009, 10:04 AM']:lol: While I've got the camera out. . . . . . I've got one of these!

reminds me of this I saw at a Rush tribute band.
Its a Rick with a special made rick guitar bolted to it.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='612336' date='Sep 29 2009, 06:56 PM']reminds me of this I saw at a Rush tribute band.
Its a Rick with a special made rick guitar bolted to it.
[/quote]
I now wish I had joined this thing ages ago - so much info!! :) :rolleyes: :lol:

Have a look at [url="http://www.planetbravado.com/"]http://www.planetbravado.com/[/url] there are
more pics and info on this band. Looks good, may go
and check them out.

P.S I guess this may be cheating but I would just like to highlight
that I have a posting in Wanted, for a case to fit a 70's Ibanez Destroyer bass!
Any ideas would be great.
Thanks. :lol:

Flat Eric :lol:

[quote name='FlatEric' post='612911' date='Sep 30 2009, 12:42 PM']I now wish I had joined this thing ages ago - so much info!! :) :rolleyes: :lol:

Have a look at [url="http://www.planetbravado.com/"]http://www.planetbravado.com/[/url] there are
more pics and info on this band. Looks good, may go
and check them out.

P.S I guess this may be cheating but I would just like to highlight
that I have a posting in Wanted, for a case to fit a 70's Ibanez Destroyer bass!
Any ideas would be great.
Thanks. :lol:

They are really good, the guitarist is my mates guitar teacher at Electromusic in Doncaster. He wasnt impressed by 2 loud mouth guys shouting YYZ between each song. They did a really good version of it tbh. Well worth a watch! Solid band

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for Bravado.

They're from Doncaster and are excellent. In fact they actually got me into Rush!

Pod (Geddy) works in Electro Music in Doncaster and sold me my first Trace Elliot head (back in the day)...
Think some of the others might work there too.