Why become a member? ×

My wonderful wishbass

alembic1989

Here are some pics of my wishbass purcahesd last year. I have refined it by finishing it properly, adding the wooden control plate..and groovy vol. control..and finally having the fretboard smothed and lined. It really is a lovely bass to play and sounds great. The neck is a delight even for my small hands, it has a huge range....count the frets! and in spite of the other very distinguished basses I own I love playing it. They seem to really attract hatred (mostly by people who have never played one)..but I love this bass (gnarly knots an' all !!!!!)

Edited by alembic1989

That's looking good!

Did you thin down the neck any? Reshape the body? And how long did all that work take you?

My problem with Wishbasses is the variable finish and the fact that Mr Wish doesn't appear to know when a straight line is actually a requirement.
There's potential in them as this one and the one that Thunderritter owns both show, but for me, I'm not sure that all the extra work is actually worth it.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' post='544166' date='Jul 18 2009, 05:36 PM']That's looking good!

Did you thin down the neck any? Reshape the body? And how long did all that work take you?

My problem with Wishbasses is the variable finish and the fact that Mr Wish doesn't appear to know when a straight line is actually a requirement.
There's potential in them as this one and the one that Thunderritter owns both show, but for me, I'm not sure that all the extra work is actually worth it.[/quote]

Nice to hear from you.
I've kept the neck profile the same...it is actually pretty fat but for some reason feels very nice (not sure why that should be). I have done a little reshaping but nothing major, mainly in the vicinity of the lower horn area..initially it was really pretty sharp...sharp enough to scuff the back of my left hand when playing in the upper registers. Also I smoothed out some of the lines using my dremmel.
You are quite right about the finish...it is poor BUT I liked the idea of sitting down with some sandpaper and teak oil. The bass now feels like MY bass and the end results seem worth it to me.

Wishbasses come unfinished, having him finish it is an extra, and he doesn't advise it (I wouldn't either), much better to consider them a blank with all the machinery requiring part done for you. I took a week ever christmas saning mine and then a few evening over a month feeding it oil, pretty pleased with how it came out. I like the thick neck, like a big classical guitar.

What woods are there? Mines a purpleheart/maple neck with maple walnut sandwich body wings.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='544199' date='Jul 18 2009, 06:40 PM']Wishbasses come unfinished, having him finish it is an extra, and he doesn't advise it (I wouldn't either), much better to consider them a blank with all the machinery requiring part done for you. I took a week ever christmas saning mine and then a few evening over a month feeding it oil, pretty pleased with how it came out. I like the thick neck, like a big classical guitar.

What woods are there? Mines a purpleheart/maple neck with maple walnut sandwich body wings.[/quote]

Hi,
I like the fat neck too.
The woods are nicely figured mahogany for the top...and some really cool green poplar for the back..it is a really amazing green colour with some nice figure.
I think the neck is the same as yours (maple/pupleheart).
I did the same as you..about a week of sanding and feeding it with oil (teak oil) and then finally finishing wax.

[quote name='ped' post='544198' date='Jul 18 2009, 06:40 PM']Great bass and obviously one you feel really 'at home' on because of the time you have spent working with it. It looks very tactile and funky. I would love to try one!

ped[/quote]

next time you are in the windsor/slough area pop round for tea and play it...