Why become a member? ×

colour conundrum!

rasher80

although i spend a good bit of time whingeing about how injust it is that i can't get hold of a lefty CIJ Jazz bass, i've unexpectedly come into a wee bit of money and so i can now start looking at picking up my much GASed after 75 RI Jazz bass.

I've narrowed it down to either 3TS or NAT, both with rosewood neck. Obviously i don't expect you guys to make up my mind for me, but i'd like your thoughts if you didn't mind?

I like the look of the 3TS, but sunburst Fender Jazzes are fairly ubiquitous, however i think the burst is really nice. I've always liked the look of the natural, but i'm beginning to think it's a bit bland. Having said that, i saw Simon Jones from The Verve playing his NAT '75 back in the day and thought i'd never seen a cooler bass!

hmm, what to do, what to do :)

I've always loved the 75RI in natural with the maple neck, although it's become an ubiquitous look with the popularity of the Squier VMJ. If I was going rosewood, I'd probably have to go sunburst, mostly because I've never been keen on rosewood necks against natural finish bodies.

Err...where are you in Manchester - I have a natural '76 (but with maple neck and pearloid blocks), and a Masterbuilt fretless in 2TS (just one layer missing!) - it has an ebony board so you could kind of get the picture. You're welcome to come and take a look when I'm around (but I'm afraid availability is limited). Oops (edit), I have a Sei Jazz in natural ash too - rosewood board with abalone blocks and rosewood binding.

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='lozbass' post='540109' date='Jul 14 2009, 10:46 AM']Err...where are you in Manchester[/quote]

i work at the MRI so i'm fairly central most of the time! might take you up on that offer :)

I've had some fairly interesting replies - i did think that the emergence of the VMJs would make the natural option a bit more common, i know of a bassist who has one so that could be another reason to go 3TS. Cheers for your input though!

I have a friend who has the 75 reissue in natural with roswood neck. It looks pretty damn lovely. I used to have a thing for natural basses, but now I only have 1 (Stingray) and that is a stunning natural finish. I also have a USA Telecaster in natural and that looks awesome.

I wouldn't get anymore now; I personally really like sunburst and olympic white.

If I were you.....hmm....Id go for 3TS...:)

i work at the MRI so i'm fairly central most of the time! might take you up on that offer

I'm at the Uni so close by (I live just down the road) - you're more than welcome to come along (though I'm not around too much at the moment).

Cheers, Lozbass