Why become a member? ×

Question about strings

Got a question for the string geeks - I recently changed the strings on my MIM Jazz IV. On the strength of reviews and a bit of local buzz I tried some Thomastik Jazz roundwounds - my god, what a difference! Not just 'new for old' syndrome, but a genuine transformation in the sound. Can't remember the previous set's identity, but don't recall feeling there was much wrong with them at the time.

On the strength of this I had Martin Petersen put a set on my SEI Original headless V when I had serviced a couple of weeks ago, in place of the Elite DBE's that it had previously been home to.... Yeughh! I hate them! All the sparkle is gone, and they sound limp & lifeless by comparison. I'm gonna stick with them for a bit cos they were pricey at £45 a set, but unless things improve dramatically they'll go in the bin and back on with some Elites.

Any thoughts?

Anyone?

I would agree with your finding that strings tend to go with basses. I'm also presuming that one is passive, the other active, so processing of the strings' output is very different. As I only use passive basses, I've found that I can use the same strings across all of them (it helps that they are all varieties of Precision!).

I am a convert to TIs I like the sound and tension, but I have found I sort of prefer them on an active bass, and I do think it depends on the bass.

I dont like rounds on my Jerry Scheff, but I have rounds on a stirling, I have several precisions with rounds, but one with a steve rabe preamp with flats.

If you take them of your Sei you can probably keep them till another bass comes along.

[quote name='bumnote' post='540108' date='Jul 14 2009, 10:44 AM']I am a convert to TIs I like the sound and tension, but I have found I sort of prefer them on an active bass, and I do think it depends on the bass.

I dont like rounds on my Jerry Scheff, but I have rounds on a stirling, I have several precisions with rounds, but one with a steve rabe preamp with flats.

If you take them of your Sei you can probably keep them till another bass comes along.[/quote]

I'm on the verge of taking them off TBH. It's a headless so I'm basically stuffed unless & until I can get another one to put them on. Just annoyed at the cost of the strings + cost of setup. Guess I'll just have to put it down to experience.

Take your point too Telebass: MIM Jazz is of course passive while SEI is active. Slight worry now is that I'm planning to upgrade the Jazz with an Audere active circuit! :)

Ah well - guess I'll findout in the next week or so.

Watch this space...or not.

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='540041' date='Jul 14 2009, 09:26 AM']Got a question for the string geeks - I recently changed the strings on my MIM Jazz IV. On the strength of reviews and a bit of local buzz I tried some Thomastik Jazz roundwounds - my god, what a difference! Not just 'new for old' syndrome, but a genuine transformation in the sound. Can't remember the previous set's identity, but don't recall feeling there was much wrong with them at the time.

On the strength of this I had Martin Petersen put a set on my SEI Original headless V when I had serviced a couple of weeks ago, in place of the Elite DBE's that it had previously been home to.... Yeughh! I hate them! All the sparkle is gone, and they sound limp & lifeless by comparison. I'm gonna stick with them for a bit cos they were pricey at £45 a set, but unless things improve dramatically they'll go in the bin and back on with some Elites.

Any thoughts?

Anyone?[/quote]

TI are nickel...perhaps your SEI needs stainless

for my 2p they are the best flat on a 4 i have ever used including the old elites from 1990's with the black tapes

[quote name='mrcrow' post='540506' date='Jul 14 2009, 05:24 PM']TI are nickel...perhaps your SEI needs stainless

for my 2p they are the best flat on a 4 i have ever used including the old elites from 1990's with the black tapes[/quote]

Whatever the cause the SEI doesn't like 'em. As I said before though, they've transformed the Jazz - didn't think a simple change of string could have such a dramatic effect.

[quote name='iamapirate' post='541768' date='Jul 15 2009, 10:48 PM']i'd reccommend that if you have some spare cash lying around (LOL) then go and buy different makes/guages, etc. until you find something better than your regulars... but always have a spare set of your normal ones just in case![/quote]

Thanks for that - will probably do so over the next couple of months to see if there's anything I prefer, but will go back to the Elites in the meantime. Had quite an interesting PM from the SEI's previous owner that shed some useful light on the subject. Best thing I can come up with is a combination of wrong material and wrong weight. (Thomastics are of course lighter gauge-for-gauge than other makes.)

It's funny, I have always used the same strings on all my basses! Fretted, fretless, active, passive... but I never liked the sound of my active basses, it honestly never occurred to me that maybe it was because of the strings, I feel like such an utter tit!

:blush:

Edited by beardybass

I used Elite blue labels for years until I bought my first warwick - after using warwick strings I just buy Warwick black labels now! Sound great on all the basses I've got and far less dead strings (winding tension seems nice and uniform on all the sets I've had).

I used Rotos years ago and they sounded great but didn't last very well.

Oh - the warwicks clean up with meths a treat. Saves a fortune!!

Edited by basexperience

I bought 4 sets of Status light ( 30 - 90 ) off eBay for a good price to try them.
Finally stuck the first set on me Wal yesterday and they are bloody hopeless!
Can barely see them never mind find them to play so off they came for Black Label Warwicks 45s!

Now have 3 sets of single end Status lights gathering dust.

BB

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='541950' date='Jul 16 2009, 09:23 AM']I bought 4 sets of Status light ( 30 - 90 ) off eBay for a good price to try them.
Finally stuck the first set on me Wal yesterday and they are bloody hopeless!
Can barely see them never mind find them to play so off they came for Black Label Warwicks 45s!

Now have 3 sets of single end Status lights gathering dust.

BB[/quote]

When Pete Stevens serviced my Wal he put Roto 45's on it. Seemed a bit odd at the time, putting such everyday strings on something like that - didn't half sound good though!

Edited by leftybassman392