Why become a member? ×

Jaco Re-Incarnate

dunetune_jazz

I was having a chit chat with one of my ole bass buds from back in the day and he pointed me to this clip....
And the guy in the clip plays guitar .... man o man this gives me a new outlook on guitarists ... other than being just dumb blondes :)
Ouch I nearly had a Dejavu......Man can the guy play...... bring back Jaco...
Reminds me of Mr Cottle....

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY_wH15a7C0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY_wH15a7C0[/url]

Hope you cats like it as much as i did.

Jazz

Edited by dunetune_jazz

Saw this a little while ago - he is pretty good - must see if he is on Spotify.

He toured with Jaco and something obviously rubbed off. Love the sound of it but it is so far away from what I can do it isn't one of those things that makes me want to give up thankfully. Almost like another instrument :)

Edit: and a Jazz bass without the scratchplate - wonder where he got that idea :rolleyes:

Edited by bythesea

Makes me want to take up the gitar ..... naaaaa :rolleyes:

[quote name='bythesea' post='539833' date='Jul 13 2009, 10:40 PM']Saw this a little while ago - he is pretty good - must see if he is on Spotify.

He toured with Jaco and something obviously rubbed off. Love the sound of it but it is so far away from what I can do it isn't one of those things that makes me want to give up thankfully. Almost like another instrument :)

Edit: and a Jazz bass without the scratchplate - wonder where he got that idea :lol:[/quote]

[quote name='dunetune_jazz' post='539842' date='Jul 13 2009, 10:47 PM']Makes me want to take up the gitar ..... naaaaa :rolleyes:[/quote]
:) I've been playing just acoustic guitar for the last few years. Makes me glad I've come back to bass!

Just been watching some of his other stuff. There was one where he was aged 13 playing the Montreux Jazz festival. He was out of tune, but still pretty amazing.

Imagine...this is just him playing bass like joe public ... imagine if he really wanted to play...Get the man a GB :)
Bernard if your reading this pump these out like milk from a cows uddder I will take one... :rolleyes:

[quote name='bythesea' post='539847' date='Jul 13 2009, 10:53 PM']:lol: I've been playing just acoustic guitar for the last few years. Makes me glad I've come back to bass!

Just been watching some of his other stuff. There was one where he was aged 13 playing the Montreux Jazz festival. He was out of tune, but still pretty amazing.[/quote]

Simply amazing...... look really nice off youboob on my plasma..... :)

[quote name='bythesea' post='539867' date='Jul 13 2009, 11:10 PM']Haven't heard all of it, but some of these tracks are on Spotify. [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001KQXAT6"]Stuttgart Aria[/url] - an album by BL and JP.[/quote]

Not forgetting to out put it through the Bose 321 Series II eyie mama .... that Jaco vibe amplified stereo... :lol: The neighbours will love it.... :)

[quote name='bythesea' post='539892' date='Jul 13 2009, 11:28 PM']:rolleyes: really must get the right lead to connect mine![/quote]

Edited by dunetune_jazz

Yes totally agree.... you can definately tell that his bass playing is on another level to most gigging and studio bassists... but it also comes down to raw talent too at the end of the day... without that you are bass joe public.

The jaco-esq influence or style he has is really hard to pull off not many players out there that can get the sound, rhythm, feel and tone just right to get your feet and senses moving... and the fluidity just makes you want to go out and buy a Fender Jazz Fretless... or start ripping the frets out of the jazz that you currently own.
Bireli Lagrene one of the best kept secrets in the bass world and I have know that for a while.

I also noticed a couple of fretless Jazz Basses pop up now for sale .... makes me want one real bad but I have the 7 string fretless to keep me busy...: :)
So many strings great for hanging clothes, cutting cheese and as a harp. :rolleyes:

Jazz

[quote name='Chris2112' post='540669' date='Jul 14 2009, 08:26 PM']I've always been much more a fan of Birelli's bass playing than his guitar playing, it has to be said! Awesome video though.[/quote]

[quote name='dunetune_jazz' post='540900' date='Jul 15 2009, 01:19 AM']I also noticed a couple of fretless Jazz Basses pop up now for sale .... makes me want one real bad[/quote]
:rolleyes: Me too! Keep thinking about picking up one of those Squier VMJs just to play around on :)

[quote name='Jase' post='539905' date='Jul 13 2009, 11:45 PM']He's been playing since the age of 4 and he was something like 18, 19, 20-ish when he toured with Jaco. Mad or what? His talent is awesome.[/quote]

Exactly - Bireli was a child prodigy and has always had sick chops - the clip is of him age 13 (albeit on a slighty out of tune guitar) his playing is just crazy - but his Jaco bass stuff is IMHO one of closest most sincere 'impressions' of JP anyone has ever done - and yes he was close to Jaco for many years and obviously absorbed all his phrasing and technique first hand;

Cheers

M

[quote name='urb' post='541095' date='Jul 15 2009, 10:58 AM']Exactly - Bireli was a child prodigy and has always had sick chops - the clip is of him age 13 (albeit on a slighty out of tune guitar) his playing is just crazy - but his Jaco bass stuff is IMHO one of closest most sincere 'impressions' of JP anyone has ever done - and yes he was close to Jaco for many years and obviously absorbed all his phrasing and technique first hand;[/quote]
That's the one :rolleyes:

Amazing stuff, I think I had just bought my first acoustic at that age :)

I think I started to play around on bass at 13 i remember the music teacher at school saying something along the lines of Jaco was a God or something to that effect when he was alive. My reply was who the ell is Jaco and then she sat me down and laid it all out ... and the bass stuff too.
I will never be the same again. Besides the bass playing aint half hot mum...

Talking about Squier VJM's... I have one for sale and I am asking between 10-15k and it is worth every penny... No offers too :rolleyes: Come on you know you wan it... ;)
For an extra 5K i will throw in a butler :lol: :rolleyes:

[quote name='bythesea' post='540928' date='Jul 15 2009, 07:34 AM']:D Me too! Keep thinking about picking up one of those Squier VMJs just to play around on :)[/quote]

Edited by dunetune_jazz

Risking to be pitchforked I have to say that I consider Birelli amazing in guitar but his bass playing is a pretty lame Jaco impersonation. He could have taken all those influences and made something else with them but he just settled to be a mere impersonator. That's pretty sad when you realise the huge talent that Birelli posseses.

Sorry guys I saw that video long time ago and haven't changed my mind.

Edited by Mcgiver69

So true this is why the phrase Prodigy was coined... a true genius in every respect.

[quote name='Hector' post='542257' date='Jul 16 2009, 02:22 PM']I really dig bireli's playing.

This video, I feel, is much more tasteful (while still showing he has sick chops!):

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qHja9i9C4Y"]Here.[/url][/quote]

Edited by dunetune_jazz

Sounding like Jaco is and always was a fool's errand (even when I was trying it). Yes it's great but it was great because it was fresh and exciting. Now its superficial and tranparent.

Birelli should know better. I prefer his playing on The Super Guitar Trio cd

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Guitar-Trio-Live-Montreux/dp/B000QJMSUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1247753349&sr=1-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Guitar-Trio-...3349&sr=1-1[/url]

PS didn't watch the clip - can't on my work PC.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='542300' date='Jul 16 2009, 03:10 PM']Sounding like Jaco is and always was a fool's errand (even when I was trying it). Yes it's great but it was great because it was fresh and exciting. Now its superficial and tranparent.

Birelli should know better. I prefer his playing on The Super Guitar Trio cd

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Guitar-Trio-Live-Montreux/dp/B000QJMSUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1247753349&sr=1-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Guitar-Trio-...3349&sr=1-1[/url]

PS didn't watch the clip - can't on my work PC.[/quote]

While I agree with you 100% Bilbo my take on Bireli's JP impression is more of a party piece to be performed once in a blue moon, not as some kind of "look at me, I've copped on Jaco's licks and sound, so I must be good...", seeing as he's primarily known as a guitarist and doesn't exactly need to prove his skills as a bassist. Hadrien Feraud loves what Bireli does on the bass and rates him as a player, I'm sure he can play pretty much whatever he wants too.

Just a thought - but I think you're right about 99% of the other Jaco-wannabes out there.

Mike

Usual Jaco negatives, has it occured to anyone that perhaps Bireli was maybe tipping his hat to Jaco and maybe doing it just because he can, just like when he plays a violin, because he can. What else do you expect a musical genius to play when he picks up a bass or a violin, Alright now and Three Blind Mice?