Why become a member? ×

6 string tuned E to E (or F)?

haruki

Hi - looking for some advice.

Just bought a new toy - my first six string (thanks Russ) . I'm interested in trying to string it up as E to E (or F) for two reasons..

1. I'm playing a piece at the moment that needs to me go so high up the neck I get nose bleeds...seriously dusty 21st fret of C string.
2. I like the sound of simple chords - these work better on higher notes - reckon I dont use the B string enough.

Does anybody tune a sixer this way?

Any ideas what strings/guages to use - or where to get a high E that will match?

All advice gratefully received.

Martin

E to F would make more sense, kind of like the tuning on the top 6 strings of a 7 string bass missing out the low B .

I think overwater do a 7 string set.

Or check out this site [url="http://www.extendedrangebassist.com/"]http://www.extendedrangebassist.com/[/url]

There's a wealth of information on there. This site has a lot of 4 string bass weilding fuddy duddies who find any sort of ERB an anathema.

Edited by 6stringbassist

Thanks guys ...the links looks useful. Must admit not heard the expression ERB before....

Having played my six- er with others for first time this pm (jazz ish stuff) thing I'm gonna explore more.

bw

Martin

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='533323' date='Jul 5 2009, 08:11 PM']I think ERB's are cool. I pretty much only use my 6 string bass. I even used it on a gig with a trad jazz band last night. :)[/quote]

That makes sense actually i mean the 7 string guitar was developed by jazz players so yeah.

TS if you don't use the low B then yeah good idea tuning it like that. I was thinking of doing it myself lol. If you're looking for strings i should imagine you'd find what you want on thomann they have loads of bass strings and that.

Edited by EdwardHimself

• 3 weeks later...