Why become a member? ×

I'm recording

odub

Hi guys,

Right I'm "in the studio" next week, and am debating putting new strings on my bass. I use flatwounds, I play erm indie folk I guess and what a nice smooth warm sound, so im thinking i stick. I've had these on now for about 7 months.

[quote name='odub' post='531904' date='Jul 3 2009, 06:35 PM']Hi guys,

Right I'm "in the studio" next week, and am debating putting new strings on my bass. I use flatwounds, I play erm indie folk I guess and what a nice smooth warm sound, so im thinking i stick. I've had these on now for about 7 months.[/quote]

7 months is a very long time but given they are flatwound... Key is do you like the tone you are currently getting. If you do, leave them, if not, change them!

[quote name='odub' post='531918' date='Jul 3 2009, 07:05 PM']Well yeah I like it but is it the best I can do?[/quote]

The best is the sound you like best. It's subjective. What's the best chocolate? There is no best. Only subjective opinion. If the sound you like best is dead flatwound strings then leave them as they are. If you prefer fresh nickel roundwounds, put them on.

Edited by Rimskidog

[quote name='iamapirate' post='532020' date='Jul 3 2009, 08:58 PM']I'm sorry, but the best chocolate is clearly ASDA smart price white chocolate!![/quote]

Maybe we should have a little poll. What do you think everyone? What is the [i]best[/i] type of chocolate?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='532043' date='Jul 3 2009, 09:26 PM']7 month-old flatwounds? They're not even broken in, sonny!

Mine have been on over 7 YEARS and they sound great.

Stick.[/quote]

My Bass Collection has had the same strings on since at least 2002 - round wound Rotosounds. Sounds awsome with the P pickup solo'd!

Cant comment on flats, but roundwounds record best for me if they are just played in, no more than 30 mins of warm up.

You can always take the treble out, it still leaves all the juicy extra harmonic content in lower down - sounds the dogs.

I hate bass sounds that go (muffled) ' donk ' though.....

[quote name='odub' post='531904' date='Jul 3 2009, 06:35 PM']Hi guys,

Right I'm "in the studio" next week, and am debating putting new strings on my bass. I use flatwounds, I play erm indie folk I guess and what a nice smooth warm sound, so im thinking i stick. I've had these on now for about 7 months.[/quote]

so how did it go ? did you put new strings on ?

I left my old ones on, reasoning that it wasn't worth changing and taking the risk. Glad I did, the recordings sounded really good (to my ears), The engineer did a great job, basically using a Joe Meek compressor, my EBS preamp, straight D.I. and an Ashdown mic'd and cranked in various combinations, when I have the finished artcile, which'll be a while I'll post on here.

[quote name='odub' post='537936' date='Jul 11 2009, 03:28 PM']I left my old ones on, reasoning that it wasn't worth changing and taking the risk. Glad I did, the recordings sounded really good (to my ears), The engineer did a great job, basically using a Joe Meek compressor, my EBS preamp, straight D.I. and an Ashdown mic'd and cranked in various combinations, when I have the finished artcile, which'll be a while I'll post on here.[/quote]

I LOVE Joe Meek comps on bass when recording.

I usually go straight in to the HD24 via a Joe Meek TwinQ at my mates studio - it sounds just superb!

Not surprised you like the result at all :)