Why become a member? ×

Squier VMJ Fretless *SOLD*

Clarky

Hi all, got carried away in a tide of BC enthusiasm a couple of weeks ago and ventured into the fretless world by buying AlexLong's Squier VMJ Fretless. Soon dawned on me that (1) I'm barely good enough to play a fretless, (2) I should actually concentrate on just getting better at fretted bass, and (3) in the type of music I currently play there's virtually never a call for a fretless. It quickly moved to the back of my bass rack :) So I am moving this on (also helps make up shortfall on selling my MarkBass combo to buy Mesa combo).

Looking for what I paid - £150 plus postage (or can be collected in London; I live nr Hammersmith). It was bought new by Alex in 2009 and is in absolutely pristine condition. Incidentally, Alex told me that GAK in Brighton swapped the stock round strings for their favoured flats which I assume to be LaBella's (they are slightly too thick to be TIs even though they have very similar red silk windings).

Here are a couple of photos from Alex' original FS thread ( [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=49740&hl=alexlong"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=alexlong[/url] ) which I hope she won't mind me borrowing:

[attachment=28109:fretlessbass02.JPG][attachment=28110:fretlessbass03.JPG]

Here are the specifications

* Model Name: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass Fretless
* Model Number: 032-6608-(500)
* Series: Vintage Modified Series
* Colors: (500) 3-Color Sunburst, (Polyurethane Finish)
* Body: Agathis
* Neck: Maple C-Shape (Polyurethane Finish)
* Fingerboard: Fretless Ebonol with Inlaid White Celluloid Fretlines, 9.5 in. Radius (241 mm)
* No. of Frets: 20 Medium Jumbo
* Pickups: 2 Duncan Designed JB101 Single-Coil Pickups with AlNiCo 5 Magnets
* Controls:
* Volume 1. (Neck Pickup)
* Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup)
* Master Tone
* Pickup Switching: None
* Bridge: Standard 4-Saddle
* Machine Heads: Standard Open-Gear Tuners
* Hardware: Chrome
* Pickguard: None
* Scale Length: 34 in. (864 mm)
* Width at Nut: 1.50 in. (38 mm)
* Unique Features:
* Black Bound Fingerboard with Black Block Position Inlays
* Knurled Chrome Dome Control Knobs

Edited by Clarky

Drat. I was hoping you'd hold on to this a little longer - then I would have had time to sell enough gear to make space and money for it. If it's still around at the back end of August I'll be taking a trip to West London.

[quote name='deaver' post='530556' date='Jul 2 2009, 01:11 PM']Drat. I was hoping you'd hold on to this a little longer[/quote]

Was a bit of an impulse buy and I quickly realised its not for me. I will never be Jaco or frankly any better than a pub bassist, so fretted bass suits me just fine!

There have been a few of these FS in recent months and they have generally hung around so you never know, John - we may be talking at end August!

Last pre-summer holiday bump - if not sold tonight, will not be able to post until I return from La bella Italia

Please PM me in between times and I will respond 'come io arrivo ancora in Inghilterra' (or something like that :) )

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Clarky' post='551178' date='Jul 25 2009, 03:47 PM']Another bump. Sorry but I want shot of this for Mrs Clarky appeasing purposes (5 basses cluttering house right now)![/quote]

bump again...its a cool bass...the lines are a good help better than dots...

bella bella...where did you go in italia?

[quote name='mrcrow' post='551327' date='Jul 25 2009, 07:22 PM']bump again...its a cool bass...the lines are a good help better than dots...

bella bella...where did you go in italia?[/quote]
ta for bump - visitiamo Roma e Sorrento

[quote name='mrcrow' post='551346' date='Jul 25 2009, 07:36 PM']thought so...roma is hot!
and sorrento...well i enjoyed it but wouldnt like to drive there
capri?[/quote]
Rome was very hot, took kids to see Pantheon, Colosseum etc
Paid for private transfer to Sorrento - no way would I drive there either! Sorrento is lovely, a total time warp, like an Italian resort from the 1950s
So glad to be back in UK, errr :)

Hey Clarky, if you dont sell this by the time you play in Gosport, i might have it if you want to bring it with. I live in Portsmouth so could meet up. Not too sure, so if it goes by then all the best. but if you still have it by then get in touch.

Edited by bassmeg

[quote name='bassmeg' post='551602' date='Jul 26 2009, 10:15 AM']Hey Clarky, if you dont sell this by the time you play in Gosport, i might have it if you want to bring it with. I live in Portsmouth so could meet up. Not too sure, so if it goes by then all the best. but if you still have it by then get in touch.[/quote]
Hi there - these are not flying of the shelves right now so I reckon I will still have it by the time we play Gosport! Will drop you a PM that week if thats the case. Cheers Clarky