Why become a member? ×

1979 Musicman Sabre TRADED

joegarcia

[quote name='joegarcia' post='529244' date='Jun 30 2009, 11:43 PM']Thinking of parting with my beloved 1979 Musicman Sabre. It is a pre Ernie Ball model with two humbuckers, active bass and treble, 3 way pickup selector and a series/parallel switch. It used to have a completely useless bright switch too which did nothing (I've read most of them were inaudible) but I have had it professionally rewired to be an active/passive switch to bypass the preamp and EQ which is much more useful. I made sure the mod was fully reversible and the bass is otherwise completely stock and all original.

It sounds and plays amazing and can be set for a really super low action. It has a gorgeous neck (which is what I'll miss most) which is incredibly fast and smooth. It has plenty of vintage mojo with a fair few dings and some lacquer cracking on the body, none of which is structural at all.

As can be seen below it is in a rare but beautiful chocolate brown. I bought it two years ago from an American Ebay seller who was also selling a matching Stingray from the same year. I paid about £1200 after shipping and customs charges. It has the original Musicman hard case which has a few cracks.
It also came with what may be the original strap, as seen in the first pic. Anyone know if they originally came with straps? It's brown leather and feels like it could well be 30 years old.

It is very likely I will change my mind about this but am offering it up for trades while I make my mind up. I am in no rush to part with it so am happy to sit on it until something interesting comes along.
Only reason for this post is that it hasn't really been played in a few months as it doesn't really suit any of the projects I have going currently.

Interested in unusual old basses such as Gibson RD's or EB-2's, Guild B302's, Kramer Aluminium necked basses, Rickenbackers etc. Also interested in nice valve amps such as SVT's, Matamps, Sunns, Burmans, Fenders etc.

Try me, although I'm not really interested in modern basses generally.
May take cash if the offer is tasty enough.

Viewing can be arranged in Bristol but it could probably use a new set of strings and a set up. I'll get this sorted if there is any definite interest.

Edit: Prepared to sell for £1100.[/quote]
Hello would you be intrested in custom shop kubicki factor bass in candy apple red (Vail Johnson) sounds incredable...

[quote name='The Funk' post='584900' date='Aug 30 2009, 03:36 AM']Bloody lovely looking bass! Fender 400PS + cash?[/quote]

Hmm, very interesting offer indeed. Need to think how I could use the three outputs of the 400PS though. How do the inputs/outputs work? It doesn't have different speaker outs for the different inputs (bass/guitar) does it? Do you have to have three speakers attached at all times? How much cash you reckon?

[quote name='hatori' post='585167' date='Aug 30 2009, 03:36 PM']How about my two vintage Marshall JCM800 heads. Superlead and Superbass Mk2's ?
You can see them 'For sale or trade' on (I think page 4 ).[/quote]

Oooh. Damn tempting. Damn tempting indeed. I think in reality I have enough 100w> valve amps at the moment. Doesn't stop me thinking about it though..
To be honest though any trade is gonna need to have some cash on top as I'm in desperate need of some money at the moment.

And you're only over in WSM too!

[quote name='joegarcia' post='585205' date='Aug 30 2009, 04:33 PM']Oooh. Damn tempting. Damn tempting indeed. I think in reality I have enough 100w> valve amps at the moment. Doesn't stop me thinking about it though..
To be honest though any trade is gonna need to have some cash on top as I'm in desperate need of some money at the moment.

And you're only over in WSM too![/quote]
Well sir if its any comfort Im in need of dosh too but that bass is well tempting.
I just cant bring myself to put the boys on the bay.
Have a think and as you say Im just next door should you want a look I can bring them up to you.
Fraid Im strapped for extra cash though.
All the very best.
Steve

Joe, the 400PS only needs one cab attached at a time. It sends out 145W per output (I think at either 4 or 8 ohms - but I'd need to check). It doesn't have separate speaker outs for the guitar and bass channels. That would be bloody brilliant.

I'm not sure how customisable it is under the hood. If there was a way to re-route some of the innards to get full power to one or all of the speaker outs or to separate speaker outs into guitar and bass cabs, that'd be fantastic but I'm not sure how feasible that is.

In terms of cash, maybe I should PM you...

(The two Marshalls offer sounds amazing as well, I have to say!)

PM's replied to.

Sticking with what I said in my last post I reckon. After cash or trades with cash (SVT, 400+, GT200, Burman Pro4000/Ricks,RD's, EB2's, Guilds etc etc)..
I appreciate that I am asking for things people are unlikely to be shifting really but can't blame a guy for trying eh?