Why become a member? ×

1979 Musicman Sabre TRADED

joegarcia

Thinking of parting with my beloved 1979 Musicman Sabre. It is a pre Ernie Ball model with two humbuckers, active bass and treble, 3 way pickup selector and a series/parallel switch. It used to have a completely useless bright switch too which did nothing (I've read most of them were inaudible) but I have had it professionally rewired to be an active/passive switch to bypass the preamp and EQ which is much more useful. I made sure the mod was fully reversible and the bass is otherwise completely stock and all original.

It sounds and plays amazing and can be set for a really super low action. It has a gorgeous neck (which is what I'll miss most) which is incredibly fast and smooth. It has plenty of vintage mojo with a fair few dings and some lacquer cracking on the body, none of which is structural at all.

As can be seen below it is in a rare but beautiful chocolate brown. I bought it two years ago from an American Ebay seller who was also selling a matching Stingray from the same year. I paid about £1200 after shipping and customs charges. It has the original Musicman hard case which has a few cracks.
It also came with what may be the original strap, as seen in the first pic. Anyone know if they originally came with straps? It's brown leather and feels like it could well be 30 years old.

[attachment=31084:DSCF0119.JPG]

[attachment=31085:DSCF0130.JPG]

[attachment=31087:DSCF0127.JPG]

[attachment=31088:DSCF0128.JPG]

[attachment=31089:DSCF0129.JPG]

[attachment=31090:DSCF0121.JPG]

It is very likely I will change my mind about this but am offering it up for trades while I make my mind up. I am in no rush to part with it so am happy to sit on it until something interesting comes along.
Only reason for this post is that it hasn't really been played in a few months as it doesn't really suit any of the projects I have going currently.

Interested in unusual old basses such as Gibson RD's or EB-2's, Guild B302's, Kramer Aluminium necked basses, Rickenbackers etc. Also interested in nice valve amps such as SVT's, Matamps, Sunns, Burmans, Fenders etc.

Try me, although I'm not really interested in modern basses generally.
May take cash if the offer is tasty enough.

Viewing can be arranged in Bristol but it could probably use a new set of strings and a set up. I'll get this sorted if there is any definite interest.

Edit: Prepared to sell for £1100.
Edit: New pics up.

Edit: TRADED

Edited by joegarcia

Guest BassKS

[quote name='vispo' post='531542' date='Jul 3 2009, 11:46 AM']all vintage axes look so similar![/quote]`

True that, Just some are worth paying money for and others are used as doorstands. This one though is something that Id consider selling a kidney for.

This looks like a really fantastic bass for the money, even in these hard-up times..especially as it comes with the original case, strap etc..

I've always preferred the flexibility of the Sabre to the Stingray..had the pleasure of playing a friend's 1980 model some years back) and the tonal variety is superb!

If I wasn't such a die-hard 70's Wal fanatic (and I had the spare cash), I'd really be wanting to buy this...

No help to the OP, but have a free bump on me anyway :)

Thanks for the comments, they really are fantastic basses. It does Stingray sounds, extra beefy Stingray sounds, an amazing slap tone and loads of in between sounds between the two pickups, EQ, phase and active/passive options.

Should clarify though that I don't think it is the original strap.

Bump, do you want to be more specific on your trades, it may raise a few interesting objects from the members vaults. I know you did at the top of the thread... :)

Edited by nig

Can you be interested in a fender jazz made in usa , factory special run , lake placid blue with matching headstock , rosewood neck with white blocks and binding...only 1000 produced in this colour....let me know...thanx

Edited by Hiperi0n

Sorry, already got a Jazz I'm really happy with, don't really like the newer ones either I'm afraid. Have some interest but nothing definite yet. Will post some more pics and hopefully the weight tomorrow. I'd prefer a sale now really as I have my eye on a few bits. Don't really have much else in mind trade wise apart from perhaps an old Jetglow Ric or big old quality valve amps.

Not sure if it helps anyone but I will be in Birmingham next weekend and Utrecht in the Netherlands on the 8th and 9th of August so if anyone wants to try it out I can bring it with me.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I'm not in the market.. but just have to say I think this is gorgeous.. for the price of an aneomic boarded new EBMM offering you could have this... no contest.

Good luck... (actually I think you'd have the best luck by keeping it :) )

Andy

Sorry I'm not in the market.. but just have to say I think this is gorgeous.. for the price of an aneomic boarded new EBMM offering you could have this... no contest.

Good luck... (actually I think you'd have the best luck by keeping it :) )

Andy