Why become a member? ×

Putting a high gloss on bass??????

bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='528055' date='Jun 29 2009, 07:59 PM']Was just wondering who near where to i am could put a high gloss on a bass and its head stock?

Also would this be expensive to have done?

Any info welcome
By the way im in Gloucestershire[/quote]

This guy is in Bristol but it's custom paint jobs so a plain high gloss may not be his cuppa
[url="http://www.randomworx.co.uk/spraypaint%20gallery.html"]http://www.randomworx.co.uk/spraypaint%20gallery.html[/url]

However any custom car or bike shop should be able to do it.

[quote name='OldGit' post='528138' date='Jun 29 2009, 09:20 PM']This guy is in Bristol but it's custom paint jobs so a plain high gloss may not be his cuppa
[url="http://www.randomworx.co.uk/spraypaint%20gallery.html"]http://www.randomworx.co.uk/spraypaint%20gallery.html[/url]

However any custom car or bike shop should be able to do it.[/quote]

+1 on the car/bike shop.
any garage should be able to do it tbh, my dads a mechanic/body repair man. and he did mine and made a good job of it.

Automotive paints don't normally allow for the expansion and contraction of wood so there's a risk that if a paint designed for metal car bodies is used on wood, it might crack with the next sudden change in temperature or humidity. There are spray paints that are available for wood though which do allow for this expansion and contraction.

[quote name='small_lump_of_green_putty' post='528368' date='Jun 30 2009, 09:48 AM']Automotive paints don't normally allow for the expansion and contraction of wood so there's a risk that if a paint designed for metal car bodies is used on wood, it might crack with the next sudden change in temperature or humidity. There are spray paints that are available for wood though which do allow for this expansion and contraction.[/quote]

Not sure that they were suggesting that he should use car paint...

[quote name='small_lump_of_green_putty' post='528368' date='Jun 30 2009, 09:48 AM']Automotive paints don't normally allow for the expansion and contraction of wood so there's a risk that if a paint designed for metal car bodies is used on wood, it might crack with the next sudden change in temperature or humidity. There are spray paints that are available for wood though which do allow for this expansion and contraction.[/quote]

Wouldnt a metal car body expand and contract more that wood?

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='528375' date='Jun 30 2009, 09:52 AM']Not sure that they were suggesting that he should use car paint...[/quote]
Point I was making (badly) was that its worth checking the spray painter knows the difference. Spray paint for wood is designed to be a bit more flexible. I'm not saying this will definitely happen but there is a RISK that if the body expands and contracts too much then it will crack the finish. Both poly and nitro bodies are known to do this although nitro bodies are much more sensitive.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='528448' date='Jun 30 2009, 11:07 AM']High gloss poly lacquers are totally fine for wood.[/quote]
If you say so, I know some who disagree.

Edited by small_lump_of_green_putty

[quote name='bumnote' post='528392' date='Jun 30 2009, 10:06 AM']Wouldnt a metal car body expand and contract more that wood?[/quote]
Wood is porous and cellulose based. Its filled with little pockets of air that expand and contract with temperature. The fibres in the wood also swell and contract with moisture content. Any of you who have needed to tweak necks in winter will know about this already.

[quote name='bumnote' post='528392' date='Jun 30 2009, 10:06 AM']Wouldnt a metal car body expand and contract more that wood?[/quote]
By and large, no, but it might depend on the wood. Check out [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_thermal_expansion#Thermal_expansion_coefficients_for_some_common_materials"]Wikipedia's table of thermal expansion coefficients[/url]. Essentially, the bigger the number, the more expandy it is as heat increases. Steel has coefficients around a third to a fifth of the wood coefficients, but they're oak and pine. If you've got a more dense wood involved, like bubinga or ebony, it might well have less propensity to expand in increasing heat, making its properties a bit more in the range of metal. Pure speculation there, by the way.

So it looks like the lesson from that table is that for ultra-stable bass necks in changing weather, we should be using quartz or diamond. :) :rolleyes: One for Ritter, perhaps? :lol:

There's no shame in using car paint. Fender used Dupont automotive spray for their custom colours throughout the fifties and beyond. But car nitro [i]can[/i] craze if the guitar's exposed to a very sudden shift in temperature.

Which is why some 'relicers' shove a nitro'd body into the freezer for a few hours, then whip it out and stick it in front of the fire.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='528505' date='Jun 30 2009, 12:01 PM']To be honest (and no disrespect intended) i wouldnt want a car shop spraying an expensive bass..I would rather a luthier do it..I think i may have just answered my own Q...But who?[/quote]

Have a look through here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=26654&view=findpost&p=1780"]Recommended Luthiers Post[/url]

Mind you not all will paint basses.