Why become a member? ×

How important is it spending money on hardware???

Skywalker83

Ok, so by the end of this year i will have my first custom bass built. At the moment im sourcing hardware to send to the luthier.
I'm going to be having a two-tone black and gold hardware set up.

3 black tuner, 3 gold tuners, black and gold bridge and possibly black and gold knobs or wooden knobs.

Ok, so im really keen on getting this schaller bridge

[url="http://gitarrenwissen.de/hp193253/Bass-Bridge-2000.htm?ITServ=C5006682bX1221dfedc79XYbe5"]Schaller bridge[/url]

and also the kind of Warwick styled tuning pegs.

The thing is with the tuning pegs is it really worth spending around £100+ for the two sets of coloured tuning pegs form Schaller or Gotoh when the likes of places like bassguitarpartsuk do import parts for a fraction of the price?

[url="http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/bassguitarpartsdirectuk_Import-Bass-Machine-Heads_W0QQ_fsubZ170485013QQ_sidZ795398863QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322"]bassguitarpartsuk[/url]

I have a westfield 5 string that probably uses jap/chinese/tawain made parts and the tuners on it are solid enough.

So are you paying for a name, or are you actually paying for a product that is much better quality????

ALSO

Does anyone know anywhere that stocks the Schaller bridge that im looking for??

Edited by Skywalker83

Alan of ACG basses has contacts and an account with most hardware manufacturers. He's also extremely helpful.

I'd say that decent hardware is important but it is a law of diminishing returns. i.e. a Goth 201 bridge copy is a world better that a Chinese bent tin bridge and buying a genuine Gotoh won't add anything perceptable to your sound. More expensive bridges will possibly give you more adjustment and the option to load strings without threading them but so far as tone is concerned it's less bang for your bucks.

But if you have a high quality custom bass it makes sense to have the hardware commensurate with the quality of the instrument itself.

ABM are good enough for me personally although I do admire Schaller gear.

Edited by GreeneKing

My question is more aimed at the tuning pegs, i'm definitely going for a Schaller bridge, i would want a really good quality bridge, it's something i wouldn't want to cut costs on. but the tuning pegs is there such a huge difference in quality that is noticeable? between an import and a branded part?

You probably won't notice [u]that[/u] much difference in day-to-day operation for the more expensive sets, but the thing that make them really worthwhile, IMHO, is that in 20 years time (presumably the intention is that this bass will be a keeper) you'll most likely still not be noticing the difference, as opposed to putting yet another replacement cheap set of machines on.

The shop where I work deals with Stentor, hence Schaller.. that bk/gold bridge shows as being a shade over £120.. I can check on Monday whether Stentor actualy have one in the country.

[quote name='Skywalker83' post='525689' date='Jun 27 2009, 06:56 AM']It's just the way he rolls. i buy the hardware i want and send it to him, he builds the bass and puts the hardware on.[/quote]

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but...

That strikes me as kind of lazy.

Any decent luthier should have contacts with the various hardware suppliers that firstly gives them a better deal in both cost and waiting times than you as an ordinary customer are able to get, and secondly should have a decent knowledge of the different types of bridges, machine heads etc so that they can make recommendations based on experience of what will both look good and perform properly and reliably.

If this was my build I'd be walking away right now.

The guy who is building my bass is not a full time luthier, he just does it most of the time at weekends. So i dont think he can get better deals and waiting time on parts (i will check with him) all of the parts i'm getting apart from the bridge i was going to order from bestbassgear.com in America, the only problem is that as im in Finland i'll have to pay customs on top of the purchasing price.

2 x Bartolini G6 pickups (6 string version)
Aguilar OBP-3 preamp (4 knob/switch) (Stacked Basic kit, includes pots, jack, battery clips, switch etc)
3 x black gotoh tuners (bass side)
3 x gold gotoh tuners (treble side)
gold pickup screws
black pickup screws

All in this comes to around $375 (265€ or £227) with shipping

plus custom tax which is around 20% then in it comes to just over 300€

Am i likely to get these cheaper from the UK?

[quote]....How important is it on spending money on hardware?....[/quote]
What do people change first when they buy a cheap bass? I would think it's the bridge, pickups, electrics, strap buttons, etc, basically the hardware. This is where manufacturers usually make a big saving on unit cost, so this is an area where you can improve most basses. I think you should get the best hardware you can afford, then your new bass will look, sound, feel and operate at a higher level.

• 1 month later...

Hello. I don't want to start new thread so I'm asking here. It's pretty similar question.

I'm considering changing chrome hardware at my Warmoth for black. It's pretty weird bass but it doesn't matter now :) It has Les Paul headstock type so there are 2+2 tuner positions. Currently I'm having chrome Gotoh's and crappy Fender bent tin bridge installed.
I'd like some decent black tuners and bridge with some more mass to it. Ideal bridge would have some kind of quick release mechanism but it's not necesarry. I really don't want to drill some more holes to body (awesome finish) so bridge needs to be kind of Fender replacement.
I know the ideal scenario: buy new black Gotoh's and Hipshot A style bridge (the one with Fender mounting holes), but there's a catch. It's quite expensive. I know it's not the best way to save on hardware. I don't want crap, I know it's going to cost me, but there must be something of similar quality at least bit cheaper.

So could you help me to choose some kind of bridge and tuners for reasonable price which are not piece of crap? I'm dependent to eBay, basschat, talkbass or similar sources - music shops at Czech Republic don't have very usefull supply of bass stuff. And the stuff they have is WAY overpriced :wacko:

Thanks to all!

Have you thought about the ACG pre instead of the Aguilar OBP-3?
I cant speak more highly of it! im sure guys on here may back me up on that. ive played loads of eq's with bass/mid/treb but imho you cant beat a filter based eq.

[url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=4"]ACG pre for jazz type pickups[/url]