Why become a member? ×

Apeg SVT4PRO

stevieb85

[quote name='Musicman20' post='525101' date='Jun 26 2009, 06:04 PM']They seem like the prices they SHOULD be! hahahah[/quote]

for anyone who owns an svt4pro, could you tell me how many spaces it takes up in your rack case? just so i know if i need to buy a new one or not

[quote name='coasterbass' post='527490' date='Jun 29 2009, 10:15 AM']Its a 3u.

Please note: Its also one heavy mothercrumble, so make sure you rack it in something with comfy handles.

I do miss mine in some ways....

PS> Thats a bargain and a half though!!!![/quote]

cheers

got her today and your right, its a heavy beast of a thing. have took your advice and invested in a flight case with comfy handles

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Murph_Orpheus' post='545951' date='Jul 21 2009, 04:17 AM']What are you running it through dude? How are you finding it so far? Thinking of picking one up myself.[/quote]

Ran mine through a 4x10HLF. It hold the bottom end much better than a standard 410. Stupid shape though which makes it a pain to transport.
The ideal rig for the SVT though is a 1x15 + 4x10 stack... times two and run in stereo!! :) It really is quite a workhorse.
You do need to let it breathe though... running it through my single cab never really grabbed me, even though its a 4ohm. But I took it along to a gig and borrowed another cab and it really gave it some. It really is a case of more = better with the SVT4.

[quote name='Murph_Orpheus' post='545951' date='Jul 21 2009, 04:17 AM']What are you running it through dude? How are you finding it so far? Thinking of picking one up myself.[/quote]

running it through a svt-410hlf, love the sounds of it, i also run through an tech21 for overdrive and its just the sound i want

[quote name='JTUK' post='554501' date='Jul 28 2009, 09:19 PM']can a single HLF handle that amp...?[/quote]

IMO NO WAY. The 4 PRO is 1200w bridged mono IIRC & I used to 'over-excurse' read- make fart like a flatulent ol bat!! EASILY with a SVTII on 11:00 sure 1:00 was pretty much full vol. with more lovely tube OD comin on as U went further on the volume, but THE SVT410 HLF IMO aint a really capable cab for LOUD stuff. YMMV of coz.
Also AFAIK the SVT4PRO is 4 RU same as SVT2- again I could be WRONG :)

yes..never rated the speakers in Ampeg cabs and many a old 8x10 sounded tired from the hammerings they took...IME

I certainly wouldn't match a single Amppeg 4x10 up myself without a great deal of care..just asking for trouble, IMV

I don't know what they rate at these days but I assumed they have upped the power rating somewhat...

[quote name='JTUK' post='554501' date='Jul 28 2009, 10:19 PM']can a single HLF handle that amp...?[/quote]

I never had a problem. Ran exactly that rig for 9 years and it never blinked. Used it in pubs/clubs without PA support through to backline behind a 25kw PA. No problem.

Sure, if you run it bridged then you are going to fracture the cab, but who puts 1200w through a 600w (1000w peak) cab!!??!

The whole purpose of the HLF is that it goes lower in terms of response (28Hz?) from a single 4ohm cab. Therefore you can happily run one side of the SVT4 into a single 4x10 and get a lot of bang. You'll bet 600w at 4ohms there.
If you want to run it bridged then you'll need to get some more cabs and link them together. It only runs bridged down to 4ohms so get 2 x 8ohm cabs and you're laughing.
The key thing (IMO) regarding the SVT4 is not its phenomenal (rated) power output but its flexibility to drive different cab combinations. Anything from a single 410 to 2 x 115+410.

In answer to the other post about the SVT2, you really can't compare the two. Yes, you'd be very silly to drive a single 410 at volume with an SVT2, but its a valve power stage. SVT4 really shouldn't give you problems.

The 410HLF was revolutionary when it came out in 1998(?) in terms of its handling and range, but I have no doubt that more modern cabs (partic Schroeder) would be able to handle more juice if you were really concerned about the handling.

Nick

i totally agree that the cab is to small for the power of the svt4, however once the limiter is on and the amp is only turned up half way it is loud enough, all the gigs my band play the head is put through a di and out through the pa so i dont need to crank the amp. even when we have practice it cuts through the drums and guitars just perfect, and we jam LOUD. anyway if you have to crank your volume to 10 its time for a new set up imo