Why become a member? ×

New Bahama Green Fretless

BASSISACE

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='519963' date='Jun 21 2009, 01:17 PM']Thats an amazing collection! Gotta say the Green Fretless is my fave! Do you know anything about the key factors?[/quote]

I had a Key Factor for many years - what do you want to know about them?

Forgot to say - the green one is lovely, never seen one in that colour before :)

Edited by molan

[quote name='crez5150' post='520101' date='Jun 21 2009, 04:37 PM']Do they make these in 5 string?[/quote]

Key Factor definitely comes in a 5 but I don't think I've ever seen a 'regular' Kubicki in a 5 format.

I've hunted around and can't see any 5's - Seems odd though, maybe the 5's are just very rare!

Edited by molan

[quote name='voxpop' post='519999' date='Jun 21 2009, 03:34 PM']Fantastic collection.
Can I ask what is a fair price for an X Factor. I've seen a white one for sale and was wondering if it is worth a try.

Thanks.[/quote]

I've seen them selling anywhere between £600 & £900 depending on condition and/or if they were earlier models or not.

I'm loving that Bahama Green one, always a great colour. There are definitely a few rare Kubicki colours, my coral pink Fender was one of 3 when I spoke to Phil in 1993 so I wonder if he ever did any more in that colour. Nice collection though, great stuff!

Mike

Hello all, thanks for the great comments.
I've had no dealings with the Key Factors at all, you do see them come up for sale on ebay every so often,
the Phillipines seen to sell a lot for some strange reason.

Yeah you would expect to pay from £600 upwards for an Ex-Factor and that'll be a Fender Custom model,
my black one is the only new one I own paying full price for it, £1600 if I remember.
The red one was probably the most expensive 2nd hand at £1200, from Ed "Murder To Deal With" Roman,
I REALLY wanted a red one at the time so was blinkered to price & ER's dubious sale.

This will probably pee off the fretless heads but the natural I got last year for the best steal of all.....£600, it's imaculate.

Phil's Kubicki is still making them by hand, bass by bass, I would recommend anyone who really wanted one to email him and get your name on the waiting list. It's worth paying the extra to get a new one, just the sheer pleasure of owning a new one of these awesome basses.

None are for sale, I'd rather sell a kidney than sell one of these! :)

Superb collection!

I had a metallic black one some years ago - so powerful! I recall the first time I ever saw one on TV, John Taylor was playing with `The Power Station' with his white one! Mark Griffiths (the Shadows current bassist) used to own a pink one like yours Mike - it was up for sale some time ago at Phoenix Soundworks near Northampton.

[quote name='crez5150' post='520101' date='Jun 21 2009, 05:37 PM']Do they make these in 5 string?[/quote]

There was only ever one Ex-Factor made in a 5 string configuration, but I'm not sure where it is now. Maybe Phil still has it? I just remember the photo of it and that it was a prototype. It might have ended up in the hands of a Yahoo group member...

As for the Bahama green being a limited run colour, I'm not so sure, I have seen a fair few in that colour (as gorgeous as it is). Jeff Trout (admin @ stuarthamm.net) used to have a Bahama Green Fender Kubicki and the now defunct Australian TB member Kubicki_Heath had a Bahama Green Kubicki that Stuart Hamm used when he was touring Australia with Satch in the early 90's.