Why become a member? ×

Effects for a covers band

Apex

I too have toyed with getting effects when playing in all the covers bands I'm in but decided against it (so far...GAS still going strong tho) but in the original band it's effects-ahoY!! Used Amplitube2 via my MacBook and have now gone and got Guitar Rig and the Midi floor pedal as well!

Takes A LOT of tweaking but u can get some amazing sounds!!!! Only thing is, taking my beloved MacBook to a gig, setting it up for soundcheck, then walking away and leaving it???!! Not on yer life !!! Yes i've bought a kensington key lock to lock it to my rig but nah. And way too much hassle to de-rig after soundcheck only to re-rig prior to going on, sometimes after an intro tape this aint gonna work/too many possibilities to go wrong....

So for the moment i'm simply using the tone&pick up controls on my beloved warwick jazzman to dial in the tone i need for covers songs, going well too, can get a nice P bass sound from the neck pup and a crackin musicman sound from the bridge pup with some added bottom from the o/b eq.

G

I've never felt the need for effects on bass with any covers band that I've played with.
It's all in the fingers maan!
Well that and playing in different right hand positions relative to the neck/bridge and the odd tweak of a tone control, switching from fingers to pick, and very occasionally using the VLE or whatever the other one is on my Markbass amp does it all for me.
Suppose I could do with an octave pedal and a compressor for Sledgehammer although no one's asked for their money back so far so I won't bother.

Yeah, I've always used effects in my covers band.
Can you imagine the intro to For Whom The Bell Tolls without a bit of Wah?

For most songs in my current band I don't really need effects but I use a Zoom B2 and it gives a very handy muted tuner between songs. It was only £35 of evilbay so it was no huge investment.

• 4 weeks later...

yeah i like the idea of using effects while i play,

i have the mb50b and a bootsy fuzz wah, i havent actually used them live yet and only rarley use them in rehearsals. As we are a power trio i think adding a bit of fuzz and or reverb will def add a bit of warmth and fuller sound to the set,,,in saying that, on our gigs we have had no problems with sound and have always had a great responce.

so there you go,,,a completely indecisive word from the monkey man in scotland ahahaha

I found recently that I was only using 2 of my 4 pedals while gigging. Fannied about a bit at practice but never really felt the need live.

Because of that I am selling all but my Tuner and have played 2 gigs without any of those 4. We had to drop Spread your Love by Black Rebel because that just plain wouldnt work without Fuzz but it never really got a reaction anyway.

I find I can get most of the variations I need for a gig playing with my tone/preamp controls and a pick when needed.

Horses for courses though.