Why become a member? ×

Difficulties setting action on a P-bass

Clarky

Hi all, I am normally competent enough to fiddle around with truss rods and string saddle heights to set the action how I like it (nice and low but no buzz [FYI, I play pretty fast punk/rock with a pick])

On my CIJ P-bass, try as I might I cannot get the action very low. Have played around with truss rod, with shims etc etc and still cannot get action anywhere near as low as my old US P-bass (its probably around 2 or even 3mm higher).

Any ideas what I am doing wrong - could it be a warped neck? The buzz is hardest to get rid of on the D and G strings around the 10-13th fret region.

Or should I stop being mean and take it to a luthier?

[quote name='Beedster' post='514243' date='Jun 15 2009, 02:40 PM']Could be, but more likely to be poor fretwork. I'd get it checked out mate
C[/quote]
Cheers Chris

PS, can't believe how cheaply you are selling your mongrel Jazz for - an absolute steal for someone

Sound like high frets... unless you trust yourself with a hammer, get it off to a luthier. Get them to do a full fret job... They should be able to level and dress the frets, get the set angle of the neck right and lower that action right down.

I recently had a similar issue with my G&L Asat. Took it to a local luthier and it turned out the body end of the fretboard was just slightly kicking up, like a ski jump.
He whipped the frets out, shaved a millimeter or so off the fingerboard and refretted it and it now plays like a dream.
Cost something just over a hundred quid, but well worth it if it's a bass you love and the rest of the neck is spot on.

Mind you, with a P you have a few more options in terms of getting a new neck cheaper than that I think?.
It's definately worth getting it looked at properly though.

I have taken it to a local guitar technician (Dave Mason at Guitar Tree in Putney) as its a bit of a schlep over to the Bass Gallery. I should have a report tomorrow or Friday and will let you know.

Edited by Clarky