Why become a member? ×

Ibanez basses

Spyke

So, I got a 5 string SRX705 and an SR500 already and love them.
I like the thin necks and the powerful sound they bring out.
I've been looking at the iceman bass guitars and am thinking of getting one in the future but, are they worth it, is there much of a difference handling wise between the SR series basses?
I'm primarily a Heavy Metal bassist and the way its described sounds ideal to me.
Don't bash me here, mr Jazz and Blues bass players, you were young and energetic once too! :)

I also play with a pick. *runs and hides*

So I'm wanting to know the ups and downs of the ice man series and if its suitable for a bass player of my style. (I'm just a student on the BTEC music course, not a professional musician! lol)
Also, I want a Rickenbacker, bad, but that day will have to wait, or I can call up on a favour for my birthday or xmas and get one via the pity system. :rolleyes:

So.
Iceman Basses, good for picking metal bassists or total craaaaaaaaaaaap?

I've tried a couple of iceman specimens in istanbul last summer, and I have to say they're great basses for the price. Let's say I've had the chance to try out some other Ibanez basses in the same occasion, eg a couple of BTB's, which in my opinion were clearly superior. as far as i can remember the pirice tag was similar, but sound-wise it wasn't really a fair comparison. If i were in your shoes I'd consider picking up a four stringer btb. It's a great looking bass, and has a great sound. Plus, the 35" scale lenght allows for higher string tension, which is a great thing if you are into picking styles and perhaps dropped tunings. then, keep in mind that we're still talking of fairly cheap korean-made basses, thus they're not exactly flawless. Though, I enjoyed the BTB's a lot. give it a try, I don't think you will be disapointed.

[quote name='biro' post='513919' date='Jun 15 2009, 10:30 AM']I've tried a couple of iceman specimens in istanbul last summer, and I have to say they're great basses for the price. Let's say I've had the chance to try out some other Ibanez basses in the same occasion, eg a couple of BTB's, which in my opinion were clearly superior. as far as i can remember the pirice tag was similar, but sound-wise it wasn't really a fair comparison. If i were in your shoes I'd consider picking up a four stringer btb. It's a great looking bass, and has a great sound. Plus, the 35" scale lenght allows for higher string tension, which is a great thing if you are into picking styles and perhaps dropped tunings. then, keep in mind that we're still talking of fairly cheap korean-made basses, thus they're not exactly flawless. Though, I enjoyed the BTB's a lot. give it a try, I don't think you will be disapointed.[/quote]

+1 to what biro said.

i was considering buying an iceman a while back, it was really nice, BUT not as nice as most of the other ibanezes i've tried. sure, they're suitable for a metal bassist, and look so much cooler than the SR series, or the BTB series (absolutely hideous), but for soundwise and playability, the BTBs, SRs and ATKs ive played have been better. in fact, have you thought about an ATK? i'd say they'd be great metal basses, but they havent got the thin neck you said you like, and are bloody heavy. tbh, i don't think you're going to get much better than an SR500 and a SRX705 (if the 705 is the one i'm thinking of - the neck through one, with an ash body?) for metal. i might also add i love my SR500, its one bass i'd never sell, and have had GAS for a SR700 several times.

[quote name='Spyke' post='513784' date='Jun 15 2009, 01:14 AM']I'm primarily a Heavy Metal bassist and the way its described sounds ideal to me.
Don't bash me here, mr Jazz and Blues bass players, you were young and energetic once too! :lol:

I also play with a pick. *runs and hides[/quote]

I'd like to see anyone bash a metal bassist with an actual use for doing so...You should never feel that way, what you play is what you play.
I play metal and damn, I'd like to see some bassists play what some metal bassists can!

I don't play with a pick but likewise, what's wrong with it?
You need to enter a place with confidence.
YOU play metal, YOU play with a pick...YOU don't care it's YOUR instrument. :)

Thin necks...More of a now thing...I find as long as the necks not silly wide, like a 6-string, I can play just as fast with a fat neck than thin...I fact, I prefere that now, so that's a matter of taste.
[quote name='Tait' post='513997' date='Jun 15 2009, 11:34 AM']+1 to what biro said.

i was considering buying an iceman a while back, it was really nice, BUT not as nice as most of the other ibanezes i've tried. sure, they're suitable for a metal bassist, and look so much cooler than the SR series, or the BTB series (absolutely hideous), but for soundwise and playability, the BTBs, SRs and ATKs ive played have been better. in fact, have you thought about an ATK? i'd say they'd be great metal basses, but they havent got the thin neck you said you like, and are bloody heavy. tbh, i don't think you're going to get much better than an SR500 and a SRX705 (if the 705 is the one i'm thinking of - the neck through one, with an ash body?) for metal. i might also add i love my SR500, its one bass i'd never sell, and have had GAS for a SR700 several times.[/quote]

Got an Ibanez BTB405QM and BTB556MP and used both for metal in the past.
They work very well becuase...there's no such thing as a metal "tone" per se...I use a more snappoy, biting, liquid steel funk sound really.
What IS a metal tone I wonder? I hear so many metal bassists with different tones I don't think there is one.

Go for the Ibanez though if you like em, the build quality it unmatched by most companies...Only reason they are in rock and metal more than anything is just stigma, they are known for metal, therefore a Jazz player wont be seen dead with one because...I dunno maybe he'll look uncool or something...Maybe...I use my BTB for anything, anywhere.

Might be getting an RD soon too. :rolleyes:

I've got a K5 and playability wise its fantastic. The pre-amp is garbage in my opinion and needs swapping out to give it a bit more oomph! but apart from that they're great.
If its metal and its Ibanez then you should check out the SRX range They're designed for metal and are relatively cheap.

Ah!
Cheers, for the tips.
tbh, I'd go for the Iceman all in all, my SRX might be a 5 string but it has its uses, now...
TWO Ibanez basses, that's just not enough.
Sod it, if I keep thinking like this I'll have 50 basses by next year! lol

[quote name='Rayman' post='514688' date='Jun 15 2009, 08:22 PM']Barry44 is selling my old K5 on here, with an ACG pre fitted, total bargain, awesome bass if you're interested.[/quote]

+1

I tried the Fieldy (Korn) sig model K5... Not a big Korn fan, but thought the Bass played awesome!! And at under £650 new... a bargain bit of kit.

[quote name='bartelby' post='514742' date='Jun 15 2009, 09:04 PM']I acquired a BTB405 on Saturday. I love it. Once I get used to the wide neck I'll really love it...[/quote]

Same spacing as the 4-string (19mm) so yes, it takes some getting used to.
If you slap you'll have unlimited room!

[quote name='Kongo' post='515283' date='Jun 16 2009, 01:41 PM']Same spacing as the 4-string (19mm) so yes, it takes some getting used to.
If you slap you'll have unlimited room![/quote]

I'm getting there!

I notice you have a 6 string BTB. What's the string spacing on that?

[quote name='bartelby' post='515488' date='Jun 16 2009, 05:10 PM']I'm getting there!

I notice you have a 6 string BTB. What's the string spacing on that?[/quote]

17mm spacing. Slightly less than the 5-string but DO NOT rely on numbers on paper like I used to, it's hardly a noticable difference.

The neck is UBER wide but as it tapers out it gets thinner.
So near the headstock the neck is thin enough but at the last fret it becomes thinner and almost flat!
So under your hands the neck plays the same all along.
It's actually one of my easiers basses to play...I'd use it in my band still but the tone doesn't work for me in this style...But I play it alot at home for Primus and Piano style tapping.

The Ibanez BTB556MP is the 6-string of the generation after your BTB405 which I also have, but just like this it is discontinued so good luck!
It's one of my best built basses too!
I took it completely appart once to have a nose around and when I took the neck off I was shocked! I expected to catch and maybe sand down some of the rubish that gets caught and compressed over time when they drill the holes etc...NOPE it was COMPLETELY CLEAN!
Not ONE fault with this bass, even the frets are perfect as you can get and unlike my BTB405QM, it's almost completely free of deadspots too so will sustain like no other.

Obviously I LOVE it :) I will never sell this one, and my 5-string is one to my collection.
I must get a picture up here to ya.

[quote name='Kongo' post='516632' date='Jun 17 2009, 05:10 PM']17mm spacing. Slightly less than the 5-string but DO NOT rely on numbers on paper like I used to, it's hardly a noticable difference.

The neck is UBER wide but as it tapers out it gets thinner.
So near the headstock the neck is thin enough but at the last fret it becomes thinner and almost flat!
So under your hands the neck plays the same all along.
It's actually one of my easiers basses to play...I'd use it in my band still but the tone doesn't work for me in this style...But I play it alot at home for Primus and Piano style tapping.

The Ibanez BTB556MP is the 6-string of the generation after your BTB405 which I also have, but just like this it is discontinued so good luck!
It's one of my best built basses too!
I took it completely appart once to have a nose around and when I took the neck off I was shocked! I expected to catch and maybe sand down some of the rubish that gets caught and compressed over time when they drill the holes etc...NOPE it was COMPLETELY CLEAN!
Not ONE fault with this bass, even the frets are perfect as you can get and unlike my BTB405QM, it's almost completely free of deadspots too so will sustain like no other.

Obviously I LOVE it :) I will never sell this one, and my 5-string is one to my collection.
I must get a picture up here to ya.[/quote]

Cheers.

I am seriously tempted by the BTB676, but it'll have to wait. I've got the ok from the wife to get a VMJ Fretless in the next couple of months. I may wait until the end of the year for a 6 string...

I'm getting used to the 405 pretty quickly. I've just changed the jack socket as the old one had a loose connector in it and the pots need changing. I'm going to see about changing the hardware for black stuff, the current hardware is a bit pitted and corroded.
[attachment=27238:bridge.jpg]

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='bartelby' post='516651' date='Jun 17 2009, 05:24 PM']Cheers.

I am seriously tempted by the BTB676, but it'll have to wait. I've got the ok from the wife to get a VMJ Fretless in the next couple of months. I may wait until the end of the year for a 6 string...

I'm getting used to the 405 pretty quickly. I've just changed the jack socket as the old one had a loose connector in it and the pots need changing. I'm going to see about changing the hardware for black stuff, the current hardware is a bit pitted.[/quote]

I was going to change the hardware but realised it's not good for me because of the neck. If I was to get some replacement parts for this bass if I have kept it, I would either of:

- Located an Ibanez dealer and asked for the parts I need
- Source parts from 3rd party companies. I heard hipshot make replacement bridges for the BTB? Check our www.bestbassgear.com (in U.S though but ordered through them before and they are excellent!)
- As for the tuners and knobs, i was going to go with Hipshot tuners (or maybe gotoh ones?) and just normal standard knobs.

Glad you are getting used to the fat neck!

[quote name='erisu' post='516659' date='Jun 17 2009, 05:30 PM']I was going to change the hardware but realised it's not good for me because of the neck. If I was to get some replacement parts for this bass if I have kept it, I would either of:

- Located an Ibanez dealer and asked for the parts I need
- Source parts from 3rd party companies. I heard hipshot make replacement bridges for the BTB? Check our www.bestbassgear.com (in U.S though but ordered through them before and they are excellent!)
- As for the tuners and knobs, i was going to go with Hipshot tuners (or maybe gotoh ones?) and just normal standard knobs.

Glad you are getting used to the fat neck![/quote]

I was thinking Hipshots for the knobs and tuners and, for simplicity, Ibanez bridges.

Cheers for the link too, looks like a good place.
:)

[quote name='bartelby' post='516651' date='Jun 17 2009, 06:24 PM']Cheers.

I am seriously tempted by the BTB676,[/quote]

I know that temptation, and I have been very close to yield to it. Such a great sounding sixer is a steal at that price. Not that I need another sixer, but I've already started telling lies to myself. You know, the ones that go like "what if a string brokes. I may need a backup". in short, the dangerous ones!

Finding parts for Ibanez are hard! And Ibanez themself are very scetchy about selling to you.
Cause of all these Chibanez's I guess.

I wanted black hardware on my BTB556 because it's maple and very bright...the crhome wants to be black.
But good luck finding a black Ibanez MR-2 bridge!
Lemmie know if you do! :)

The rest is all standard stuff.
Expect the Vari-mid to go at some point, they all do. But you only need to replace it with a better pot and voila, it'll never fault again!
My 6-string vari-mid crackles and my 5-string vari-mid is actually bent! No I didn't do it, my friends brother did and I still havn't got round to replacing it.

[b]Kongo[/b] I think I've tracked some black hardware down.

A dealer has got back to me saying the MR-2s in Cosmic Black are £15 each and there's a 10 week lead time. He's coming back to me for the price on tuners...

[quote name='bartelby' post='517512' date='Jun 18 2009, 04:13 PM'][b]Kongo[/b] I think I've tracked some black hardware down.

A dealer has got back to me saying the MR-2s in Cosmic Black are £15 each and there's a 10 week lead time. He's coming back to me for the price on tuners...[/quote]
:)

I heard these fit:

[url="http://www.warmoth.com/Single-String-Bridge-C719.aspx"]http://www.warmoth.com/Single-String-Bridge-C719.aspx[/url]
and
[url="http://www.bestbassgear.com/single-string-bass-bridges.htm"]http://www.bestbassgear.com/single-string-bass-bridges.htm[/url]

I think you would need to cut off the string holes on the first link if they don't come off with force =/

[quote name='erisu' post='517588' date='Jun 18 2009, 05:09 PM']I heard these fit:

[url="http://www.warmoth.com/Single-String-Bridge-C719.aspx"]http://www.warmoth.com/Single-String-Bridge-C719.aspx[/url]
and
[url="http://www.bestbassgear.com/single-string-bass-bridges.htm"]http://www.bestbassgear.com/single-string-bass-bridges.htm[/url]

I think you would need to cut off the string holes on the first link if they don't come off with force =/[/quote]

Ibanez BTB isn't string thru body so that ferule would get in the way.
They are mono-rail bridges, I have some in my Peavey 6-string.

The MR-2 has you hook the ball-end into the bridge and then a magnet pulls it and it hooks in place so it's in the body and under the brig=dge but not a string thru.