Why become a member? ×

Bittersweet symphony... help please!

LukeFRC

yo yo helpfull basschat crew

I'm playing bass at a wedding in two weeks, the ceremony bit not the party after.
The songs are no problems, old celtic hymns and contemporary christian worship songs...

but....

they are walking out to a instrumental version of bittersweet symphony, the bass part is no problem, it seems to just be root notes E B D and A

but how on earth does the guitist get the guitar sound? he's a brilliant guitar player but will be borrowing a pedal board cos he doenst normally use effects... any clues how to dial a similar sound?
I ask because im sure there are similar guitar-chat forums where its been discussed but damned if google will show me where they are!

ta

there's a few guitars in there.

there's the chord picking (compression and chorus i guess)

and the slide part, which is a tempo-matched delayed overdriven guitar, played with a slide, or even a lap steel. prolly through a spce echo if i remember mccabe's setup.

i just tried

guitar >> compressor >> overdrive >> ehx stereo memory man with hazarai >> ehx holy stain.

add slide/ebow to taste...sounded good

:)

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='513731' date='Jun 14 2009, 11:35 PM']Jesus Christ, Bittersweet Symphony at a wedding I thought it was suppose to be a happy occasion.[/quote]

yes, that is what i thought too! I guess without vocals it sounds quite nice with a string quartet? its a bit strange though.

[quote name='ahpook' post='513740' date='Jun 14 2009, 11:49 PM']there's a few guitars in there.

there's the chord picking (compression and chorus i guess)

and the slide part, which is a tempo-matched delayed overdriven guitar, played with a slide, or even a lap steel. prolly through a spce echo if i remember mccabe's setup.

i just tried

guitar >> compressor >> overdrive >> ehx stereo memory man with hazarai >> ehx holy stain.

add slide/ebow to taste...sounded good

:)[/quote]

and thanks! pookie!

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='513592' date='Jun 14 2009, 09:24 PM']....they are walking out to a instrumental version of bittersweet symphony, the bass part is no problem, it seems to just be root notes E B D and A....[/quote]
The bass line is actually E B A.