Why become a member? ×

Jaydee Supernatural

cd_david

[quote name='ben_eat_pie' post='515795' date='Jun 16 2009, 09:58 PM']Are they 'Humbug'ing pups...

Don't worry, I've got my coat on already![/quote]

MB1. :)
Is it a Trench Coat? :rolleyes:

BUMP!.....For a rather nice Jaydee (which isnt a GA24!)....Does have 24 frets though!

Edited by MB1

[quote name='crez5150' post='516236' date='Jun 17 2009, 10:51 AM']That's not a GA24?[/quote]

I have a Lefty Mark King Signature made in '87. Apart from having 21 frets instead of 24 (and being left handed of course!) it looks identical to this one. Not sure how John Diggins identifies his different products but I'd say this is a MKS also (unless anybody knows different, of course...)

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='516248' date='Jun 17 2009, 11:08 AM']I have a Lefty Mark King Signature made in '87. Apart from having 21 frets instead of 24 (and being left handed of course!) it looks identical to this one. Not sure how John Diggins identifies his different products but I'd say this is a MKS also (unless anybody knows different, of course...)[/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
..... :) "Should have gone to Specsavers!"

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='516248' date='Jun 17 2009, 11:08 AM']I have a Lefty Mark King Signature made in '87. Apart from having 21 frets instead of 24 (and being left handed of course!) it looks identical to this one. Not sure how John Diggins identifies his different products but I'd say this is a MKS also (unless anybody knows different, of course...)[/quote]

eeny, meeny, miny...mo! :)

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='516421' date='Jun 17 2009, 02:11 PM']Certainly is a George Anderson (Junior) 24 Fret model!

Nick[/quote]

Fair cop guv....... (Still looks a lot like mine tho')

Just out of interest, what are the differences between the two (apart from the 3 extra frets and a slightly altered body shape)? Not trying to be awkward, but looking for a reason why JD would have wanted a completely different model designation. Or does he see it as a special edition?

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='fender73' post='516763' date='Jun 17 2009, 07:02 PM']If anyone was gonna know, it was Dr Bass![/quote]

Ok!

The original Jaydee bass (which later became known as the Classic) was designed in 1977 by John Diggins and a bass player called Richard Ford from Birmingham who played in a band called `Muscles'. This bass closely resembled an Alembic Series I (John had never seen an Alembic and once he had, subsequent basses were changed, mainly the headstock etc). The jd range consisted of a number of models which shared the same body shape and electronics - only major differences were the construction in terms of woods, laminations etc etc. The Classic bass became known as the `Mark King Model' once Mark became rather well known, and there are three different body sizes; the Series I, the Series II (slightly narrower) and the Series III which, shape-wise, looks like a scaled down Series I.

George Anderson from Shakatak met John around 1983 and they came up with the G.A. 24 model - it does resemble the MK models in terms of construction but the pickups are much closer together and the body shape is different. and of course it has the 24 fret neck!! Electronics-wise, its the same as the MK.

Check out: [url="http://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk"]http://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk[/url] - there's the complete range featured there with pictures and data!

Cheers!

Nick

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='517039' date='Jun 17 2009, 11:49 PM']Ok!

The original ...

[snip informative post]

...and data!

Cheers!

Nick[/quote]

Looking at the picture you use as your av don't they have cheaper fencing in your neck of the woods? :)

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='517039' date='Jun 17 2009, 11:49 PM']Ok!

The original Jaydee bass (which later became known as the Classic) was designed in 1977 by John Diggins and a bass player called Richard Ford from Birmingham who played in a band called `Muscles'. This bass closely resembled an Alembic Series I (John had never seen an Alembic and once he had, subsequent basses were changed, mainly the headstock etc). The jd range consisted of a number of models which shared the same body shape and electronics - only major differences were the construction in terms of woods, laminations etc etc. The Classic bass became known as the `Mark King Model' once Mark became rather well known, and there are three different body sizes; the Series I, the Series II (slightly narrower) and the Series III which, shape-wise, looks like a scaled down Series I.

George Anderson from Shakatak met John around 1983 and they came up with the G.A. 24 model - it does resemble the MK models in terms of construction but the pickups are much closer together and the body shape is different. and of course it has the 24 fret neck!! Electronics-wise, its the same as the MK.

Check out: [url="http://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk"]http://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk[/url] - there's the complete range featured there with pictures and data!

Cheers!

Nick[/quote]

Jesus! Words cannot convey how impressed I am with this depth of knowledge. I've actually met John Diggins several times in connection with my MK, and I knew none of this! Have you ever thought of writing a book? Or maybe you have already?

Thanks Lefty!

Basically, I'm a child of the 80's - was 11 years old in '82 when I started out playing and being a massive fan of that certain bass player from the Isle of Wight, I kind of got into JD's/Status basses etc etc in a big way. Back in 1997, I co-founded a Yahoo club for Jaydee and I've learned a lot about his basses over the many years I've been a fan! I've owned many such basses, including Mark's famous red Classic bass - the internet has certainly helped John's work - I saw him earlier this week and he has orders for 40 instruments, which equates to two years work! Funnily enough, most of the orders are for guitars! (his version of the SG).

Now where's me gaffa tape?

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='517992' date='Jun 18 2009, 11:31 PM']Thanks Lefty!

Basically, I'm a child of the 80's - was 11 years old in '82 when I started out playing and being a massive fan of that certain bass player from the Isle of Wight, I kind of got into JD's/Status basses etc etc in a big way. Back in 1997, I co-founded a Yahoo club for Jaydee and I've learned a lot about his basses over the many years I've been a fan! I've owned many such basses, including Mark's famous red Classic bass - the internet has certainly helped John's work - I saw him earlier this week and he has orders for 40 instruments, which equates to two years work! Funnily enough, most of the orders are for guitars! (his version of the SG).

Now where's me gaffa tape?[/quote]

True Nick.That waiting list is reassuring of quality but at the same time a bloody nuisance!
I've had three Jaydees-two MK's and a Roadie 2A.
I have to say that as much as I love them,the quality control back in the day did leave a lot to be desired-I'm the same age as you and I was working in retail selling these beasts in the late 80's/early 90's and you had to keep a constant look out for the necks moving.
My white Roadie was the best of the bunch-but the fingerboard developed a hairline crack and I had major probs with the neck...so I started my search for a "play it and bag it" bass...then I discovered Status....still the best "pound for pound" gigging bass IMO.

At their peak,John was churning out MK's as fast as his team could make them and with all due respect,I think one or two may have been "Friday afternoon" jobs.You still have to be careful when buying second hand as a Jaydee,unlike a Status- is definately a bass that needs to have been kept "looked after."
I still think that they are one of the most iconic and distinctive instruments you can buy-hence why I'm looking for a new one.
I just got a Hed-Kandi sampler cd of some new album stuff they're releasing on the label and by the sound of the tracks I'd swear that it's 1985 all over again...maybe I'll get a session on my "new" Jaydee.. :)

Fully agree with you! John had 10 guys working for him at one point and to quote him, `things got way out of hand'! in terms of the amount of orders etc. They were producing 10 basses a week around that era! Which is a lot of work.

My current main basses are my trusty Vigier Arpege (graphite neck) and a very old Status Series 2000 (#27).

Anyway, lets hope someone here gets the red GA24!!!

[quote name='slapmonsta' post='518005' date='Jun 18 2009, 11:51 PM']True Nick.That waiting list is reassuring of quality but at the same time a bloody nuisance!
I've had three Jaydees-two MK's and a Roadie 2A.
I have to say that as much as I love them,the quality control back in the day did leave a lot to be desired-I'm the same age as you and I was working in retail selling these beasts in the late 80's/early 90's and you had to keep a constant look out for the necks moving.
My white Roadie was the best of the bunch-but the fingerboard developed a hairline crack and I had major probs with the neck...so I started my search for a "play it and bag it" bass...then I discovered Status....still the best "pound for pound" gigging bass IMO.

At their peak,John was churning out MK's as fast as his team could make them and with all due respect,I think one or two may have been "Friday afternoon" jobs.You still have to be careful when buying second hand as a Jaydee,unlike a Status- is definately a bass that needs to have been kept "looked after."
I still think that they are one of the most iconic and distinctive instruments you can buy-hence why I'm looking for a new one.
I just got a Hed-Kandi sampler cd of some new album stuff they're releasing on the label and by the sound of the tracks I'd swear that it's 1985 all over again...maybe I'll get a session on my "new" Jaydee.. :)[/quote]

Interesting that you guys have mentioned this (and I realise it's a little OT here). First time I put new strings on my '87 I snapped the truss rod while setting it up. When I took it to John for repair he did say that the truss rods on some of the 80's examples were a little less robust than they might have been. At the time I just assumed it was me being a little heavy handed and John being very polite...

Never regretted buying or owning it though; one of the best necks on any 4 string I've ever played. I don't doubt that this one will be every bit as good. I too hope it finds a good home.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='518010' date='Jun 18 2009, 11:59 PM']Fully agree with you! John had 10 guys working for him at one point and to quote him, `things got way out of hand'! in terms of the amount of orders etc. They were producing 10 basses a week around that era! Which is a lot of work.

My current main basses are my trusty Vigier Arpege (graphite neck) and a very old Status Series 2000 (#27).

Anyway, lets hope someone here gets the red GA24!!![/quote]

MB1. :)
Blimey!...24 frets a pointy bit, even watching the Shakatak Dvd....Still couldnt figure it 100%!.... it is a GA!...Cheers Doc! :rolleyes:
BUMP!

Edited by MB1