Why become a member? ×

Do I need a compressor to play slap live?

Beedster

We're going to be doing a couple of Chilis numbers, and although my living room slap technique is there or there abouts, there's a few peaks and troughs when I'm getting the volume up a bit (think Everest and the Marianna Trench). I've done slap live in the past without a compressor but it was in quite noisy bands, the bass is going to be far more exposed in this band, and we have no drummer, just a percussionist, so there's no hiding behind a Chad Smith-like monster on this one. I guess what I'm asking, from you guys who refined your slap over the years, is whether I need to work on getting the levels OK through technique or technology? I have the fear that if the latter, if the technology lets me down I'm in trouble, but if that's what most guys are doing, then to get the sound and control I want, I'll have to do the same. If the former, I'll just have to work at it, and any tips for playing it live would be appreciated.
I blame Marcus for this by the way; by selling me his bloody awesome UV70, and thereby encouraging me to play slap at a rehearsal, thereby encouraging the guys to think we could do some Chilis, he's landed me right in it :)
Thanks in advance
Chris

You can slap quietly. My fingerstyle technique is exaggerated and my slap technique is relatively gentle so that there's not much difference in volume when I switch from one to the other.

A compressor would also do the job so if you need to get there instantly, go for the compressor - but learning how to set the threshold for that can be quite tricky. The rest of it is not so bad. Just remember that you set the threshold so that the compressor kicks in at anything above that level, then set the ratio to decide how much compression will be applied (nothing wrong with 2:1 or 3:1), and set the attack and decay so that the notes still sound natural when the compressor kicks in and eases off.

TheFunk speaks the truth (as usual).

Ultimately as you know (even though you are asking here) you do need to sort out your technique, there really is no way around it mate. Painful as that may seem, and it can be a fairly long winded process to even out the lumpiness in your slap technique, a well set up comp will help in the more immediate time frame that you are talking about. However in order to help the comp I'd really suggest you leave it switched off for about 90% of your practice time away from the band, to help you improve your slightly wayward technique.

My only other advice is not to slap lumps out of it, you just dont need to, and all it does is build up lactic acid in your arms, make you stiff (esp around your shoulders) and ultimately compromise your playing. Unless thats the only way you've ever slapped, in which case just ignore these ramblings :)

Thanks guys. The answer I was hoping for was "No, you just need to practice". I don't like using FX, especially those that are more about controlling a sound than creating one. In fact, had you said "You'll never get a great slap tone live without a compressor", I would have been a bit depressed :)
Cheers
Chris

[quote name='YouMa' post='512263' date='Jun 12 2009, 04:23 PM']I have been playing wiyhout so long it feels like i am slightly diconnected to the bass when i use one now.[/quote]

I've always felt that with a compressor. OK, I quite like using extreme compression to get almost synth like effects (especially with a Wah, fuzz and sub octave during my Bootsy phase), but not compression simply to flatten the levels.

Well I don't slap. So when I try and it sounds all over the place with some major volume spikes, a compressor makes it sound much better. Of course, a well seasoned slapper with a much more refined technique than I would probably say otherwise!

Also, a dual band compressor like the Multicomp should be good in theory for slap, as slapping and popping contains a lot of high frequency spikes, you can tame those whilst making the low end nice and fat.

Edited by dannybuoy