Why become a member? ×

do you think this is real or fake?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Bass-Guitar-limited-Edition-Blonde-5-string_W0QQitemZ180366645918QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item29feb09a9e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1688|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A2|294%3A50"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Bass-Guitar-...93%3A2|294%3A50[/url]

title says 5 string but pictures are of a 4 string, it seems a decent price but i'm a bit reluctant to have a bid...what do you guys think?

[quote name='ray_6ao7' post='511060' date='Jun 11 2009, 11:58 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Bass-Guitar-limited-Edition-Blonde-5-string_W0QQitemZ180366645918QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item29feb09a9e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1688|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A2|294%3A50"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Bass-Guitar-...93%3A2|294%3A50[/url]

title says 5 string but pictures are of a 4 string, it seems a decent price but i'm a bit reluctant to have a bid...what do you guys think?[/quote]

The seller has zero feedback, which is a big warning, IMO. It might be an honest mistake putting 5 string in the title - I'd start by sending the seller a message, ask for clarification, plus maybe a few more pix. If you feel its legit and decide to bid and win it, I suggest you pay on collection - I just wouldn't risk sending that much money to a zero feedback seller - if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Take care - I bid on something rather rashly - now I'm in a PayPal dispute and its pretty tiresome!

J

Edited by johnny_b

The signature isn't a perfect match but it is close. [url="http://www.bassgallery.nl/RunScript.asp?SLS_type=Esh%20Bassen&p=ASP\Pg0.asp"]source[/url]

[attachment=26881:warwick.jpg]

Who's to say he hasn't lifted the pics form elsewhere though.

[i]edit : added ebay pic[/i]

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='511106' date='Jun 11 2009, 11:41 AM']The signature isn't a perfect match but it is close.[/quote]

I'd have to disagree, I'm afraid. Those are not the same signature. I stopped counting when I'd spotted in excess of 10 major points of variance. Significantly, impression points, force points, sweeps and inclines differ. Take the "P", "T" and "ER" in "Peter" - in one example the surface contact point for the "P" is mid letter, with the following "E" flows into a looped "P", and the remaining letters as a tail; and in the other example the base is the contact for the "P", using upward pressure to create the loop and heavy end pressure, the following "E" is standalone with a lift to create the "T", its contact point being mid letter with a distinct downward swoop and trail into the following "E". The difference is also very apparent in "Wilfer" - one example is upright, tending right to left, with distinct contact and release pressure marks, whereas the other has a distinct right lean - look in particular at the "W" (outward swoop in one example and inward for the other), "F" (length and overhang) and "R".

These two signatures were not made by the same person. However, as to which one is authentic, I can't say. It's possible that both are genuine instruments, with the "signature" simply being applied by the factory, not necessarily the individual.

[quote name='noelk27' post='511273' date='Jun 11 2009, 03:01 PM']I'd have to disagree, I'm afraid. Those are not the same signature. I stopped counting when I'd spotted in excess of 10 major points of variance. Significantly, impression points, force points, sweeps and inclines differ. Take the "P", "T" and "ER" in "Peter" - in one example the surface contact point for the "P" is mid letter, with the following "E" flows into a looped "P", and the remaining letters as a tail; and in the other example the base is the contact for the "P", using upward pressure to create the loop and heavy end pressure, the following "E" is standalone with a lift to create the "T", its contact point being mid letter with a distinct downward swoop and trail into the following "E". The difference is also very apparent in "Wilfer" - one example is upright, tending right to left, with distinct contact and release pressure marks, whereas the other has a distinct right lean - look in particular at the "W" (outward swoop in one example and inward for the other), "F" (length and overhang) and "R".

These two signatures were not made by the same person. However, as to which one is authentic, I can't say. It's possible that both are genuine instruments, with the "signature" simply being applied by the factory, not necessarily the individual.[/quote]

CSI Basschat!
Fabulous!

[quote name='noelk27' post='511273' date='Jun 11 2009, 03:01 PM']I'd have to disagree, I'm afraid. Those are not the same signature. I stopped counting when I'd spotted in excess of 10 major points of variance. Significantly, impression points, force points, sweeps and inclines differ. Take the "P", "T" and "ER" in "Peter" - in one example the surface contact point for the "P" is mid letter, with the following "E" flows into a looped "P", and the remaining letters as a tail; and in the other example the base is the contact for the "P", using upward pressure to create the loop and heavy end pressure, the following "E" is standalone with a lift to create the "T", its contact point being mid letter with a distinct downward swoop and trail into the following "E". The difference is also very apparent in "Wilfer" - one example is upright, tending right to left, with distinct contact and release pressure marks, whereas the other has a distinct right lean - look in particular at the "W" (outward swoop in one example and inward for the other), "F" (length and overhang) and "R".

These two signatures were not made by the same person. However, as to which one is authentic, I can't say. It's possible that both are genuine instruments, with the "signature" simply being applied by the factory, not necessarily the individual.[/quote]
Meh. Do you recreate your sig identically every time?... I definitely don't... but I do get it this close. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='511628' date='Jun 11 2009, 09:29 PM']Meh. Do you recreate your sig identically every time?... I definitely don't... but I do get it this close. :rolleyes:[/quote]
I have no idea who Noelk is, but he clearly knows a thing or two about handwriting recognition/examination. Maybe he's an expert witness?

Analysts are typically quite able to tell the difference between the normal variance in someone signing their name, and someone else signing it. Fookin' too clever by half if you ask me. :)

Edited by Eight

Hey I don't doubt that he knows exactly what he's talking about - in fact I'll concede that he's probably right. All I'm saying is that my sig is [b]never[/b] the same and therefore it is feasible that Hans-Peter Wilfer suffers the same unfortunate affliction, hence it is inconclusive to judge it solely upon that.
I mean, how easy would it be do get it right every time on something as awkward to manoeuvre as a bass?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='511679' date='Jun 11 2009, 10:53 PM']All I'm saying is that my sig is [b]never[/b] the same and therefore it is feasible that Hans-Peter Wilfer suffers the same unfortunate affliction, hence it is inconclusive to judge it solely upon that.[/quote]
Not a clue on the bass situation there - since I doubt he signs every bass manually.

Noones signature is ever the same twice, but forensic handwriting examiners are used to this. Apparently there are always commonalities in letter construction, stroke etc. and that people tend to vary their own signature in reasonably predictable ways. Unlike when someone else with their own writing habits tries to copy it.

I was just casually interested in the field once upon a time. But some of the books are so damn dry that I never finished them so don't take my word for anything here. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='511679' date='Jun 11 2009, 10:53 PM']Hey I don't doubt that he knows exactly what he's talking about - in fact I'll concede that he's probably right. All I'm saying is that my sig is [b]never[/b] the same and therefore it is feasible that Hans-Peter Wilfer suffers the same unfortunate affliction, hence it is inconclusive to judge it solely upon that.[/quote]
I'd expect two sigs from the same person to have more resemblance than that. There are obvious difference in all three names, the H and W at the start of the first and last for a start and the fact that the "s" of Hans is completely separate in one and just as obviously joined in the other.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/warwick-bass-blonde_W0QQitemZ260430586341QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item3ca2df61e5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/warwick-bass-blonde_...%3A1%7C294%3A50[/url]

What's this all about?

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='517331' date='Jun 18 2009, 12:53 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/warwick-bass-blonde_W0QQitemZ260430586341QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item3ca2df61e5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/warwick-bass-blonde_...%3A1%7C294%3A50[/url]

What's this all about?[/quote]

Not a lot it seems!