Why become a member? ×

Help! Little Mark II problems...

dangee

[quote name='clauster' post='509072' date='Jun 9 2009, 02:40 PM']4 Ohm is the limit of the LM2's loading and you've been driving it at gigging volume for two hours before the problem occurred, plus its a little amp. Even with nothing malfunctioning that poor little b*gg*r is going to be getting HOT in there and need a rest here and there.[/quote]

Thats not my experience.
We normally play long sets and my heads get warm during most gigs. Not hot but warm and im running a 4ohm cab.
I think if it was a design problem we would have read about it by now.

Hi Dave,

There were bits edited out of my last post (cos it was long and rambling) on reflection it would've been better to leave them in.

One point was similar to 51m0n's point about ventilation, another was about amp settings (input gain, overall boost from eq, master volume). If the first is poor and the other adds up to "quite a bit" then my suggestion counts.

I'm not saying there is a design problem with MB stuff at all (an LM2/3 is on my shopping list at the mo). Just suggesting that if an amp is being driven hard with a difficult load, it needs to be able to stay cool or will cut out for a rest here and there.

I know it's been said in this thead but I'm not sure it's emphatically clear. Daisy chaining cabs IS parallel connecting them. That link is pretty awful. Resistance and Impedance are different. Once you start going to an AC input the capacitance and inductance of the circuit takes on significance.

How high is your LMII cranked up when it cut's out?

[quote name='clauster' post='509097' date='Jun 9 2009, 03:00 PM']Hi Dave,

There were bits edited out of my last post (cos it was long and rambling) on reflection it would've been better to leave them in.

One point was similar to 51m0n's point about ventilation, another was about amp settings (input gain, overall boost from eq, master volume). If the first is poor and the other adds up to "quite a bit" then my suggestion counts.

I'm not saying there is a design problem with MB stuff at all (an LM2/3 is on my shopping list at the mo). Just suggesting that if an amp is being driven hard with a difficult load, it needs to be able to stay cool or will cut out for a rest here and there.[/quote]

Ok, point taken but i still think there would be more mention of this, especially over on TB if it was the case with these heads.

Actually (going slightly OT) ive just ordered a rack bag for my SA450 and have been a bit worried about the lack of ventilation once its in the rack but im pretty sure its going to be fine. I tend ot keep most of the EQ pretty much at 12 o'clock.
My SA450 still gets warm at most gigs though and thats just sitting on the cab out of its bag.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='509117' date='Jun 9 2009, 03:13 PM']Ok, point taken but i still think there would be more mention of this, especially over on TB if it was the case with these heads.

Actually (going slightly OT) ive just ordered a rack bag for my SA450 and have been a bit worried about the lack of ventilation once its in the rack but im pretty sure its going to be fine. I tend ot keep most of the EQ pretty much at 12 o'clock.
My SA450 still gets warm at most gigs though and thats just sitting on the cab out of its bag.[/quote]

My sa450 was in a gator 2u shallow rack for a long time, never got more than the very back of it warm. Even then its getting warm was a lot cooler than a normal (ie not switching ) power supply driven amp IMO.

Now its in a 4u shallow gator with a dtr2000 tuner (which is unsurprisingly cold) and a focusrite compounder. The compounder gets really properly warm to the touch, a lot more so than the sa450....

Certainly the coolest amps I've ever used on a gig (in all respects) :)

But ventilation is still key!

I don't know if this helps but the gain was set to below clipping (10 o'clock), eq flat, vle flat, vpf 9 o'clock, master volume roughly 12 o'clock. It wasn't noticeably hot. In term's of ventilation, it was about a foot from the back wall, but it wasn't covered or impeded by anything.

Edited by dangee

[quote name='51m0n' post='509127' date='Jun 9 2009, 03:21 PM']My sa450 was in a gator 2u shallow rack for a long time, never got more than the very back of it warm. Even then its getting warm was a lot cooler than a normal (ie not switching ) power supply driven amp IMO.

Now its in a 4u shallow gator with a dtr2000 tuner (which is unsurprisingly cold) and a focusrite compounder. The compounder gets really properly warm to the touch, a lot more so than the sa450....

Certainly the coolest amps I've ever used on a gig (in all respects) :)

But ventilation is still key![/quote]

Cheers, and i guess with the amp not being full rack width there is enough air flow down the sides as long as the back is open.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='509224' date='Jun 9 2009, 04:45 PM']Cheers, and i guess with the amp not being full rack width there is enough air flow down the sides as long as the back is open.[/quote]

Yeah masses of room compared to a standard width amp, plus its loads cooler anyway. Win win situation :)

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='509115' date='Jun 9 2009, 03:12 PM']I know it's been said in this thead but I'm not sure it's emphatically clear. Daisy chaining cabs IS parallel connecting them. That link is pretty awful. Resistance and Impedance are different. Once you start going to an AC input the capacitance and inductance of the circuit takes on significance.

How high is your LMII cranked up when it cut's out?[/quote]
We're going off topic, but daisy chaining means different things to different people.

If you take a two-core cable from the Amp to speaker 1 and another two-core cable from speaker 1 to speaker 2, then you will be connecting the speakers in parallel, and the cables will look like a daisy chain.

If you take a one-core cable from the amp to speaker 1, and a second one-core cable from speaker 1 to speaker 2, and a third one-core cable from speaker 2 back to the amp, the speakers will be in series, and the cabling will still look like a daisy chain.

[quote name='dangee' post='508661' date='Jun 8 2009, 10:39 PM']I bought my Little Mark II about 8 months ago. I gigged it on Saturday and, intermittently, the sound would die for between 3-10 seconds. It was definitely the amp- I took the pedal board out of the equation, changed basses, etc.

I spoke to Proel today and they basically said that it was my fault, as I wasn’t pairing it with Markbass cabs! I have it running through two EBS neo 112’s, both 8 ohm cabs.

I’m still waiting for them to get back to me.

So…is this a Markbass issue, or is it the Gallery’s fault for not making me aware that the LMII can’t be used with any non-MB cabs?

:)[/quote]