Why become a member? ×

Help needed with the order of my pedals!

Gunsfreddy2003

Guys,

Could do with a bit of advice here - I currently run 4 EBS pedals in this order:

Bass to Multi Comp to Octaver to EBS Bass IQ to Chorus which all works fine however I now want to add in two new pedals Chunk Systems Agent 00Funk Mark II and Chunk Systems Brown Dog gated fuzz.

Where on earth should I put these in my current chain?

Hope someone can help?

Thanks

Mark

Edited by Gunsfreddy2003

I wouldn't put the comp before the envelope filters unless you're trying to limit the dynamic range of the filter on purpose. Compressor after filter can help tame the wild resonant peaks and protect your speakers too! Fuzz before filter and fuzz after filter are 2 good sounds to have, so I try putting one filter before the Brown Dog and one after.

In fact, the 00Funk and Brown Dog can be linked together with an extra cable so that you can have the Brown Dog going into the Funk, but with your clean signal triggering the filter. This is well worth doing. So how about:

OctaBass -> BassIQ -> Brown Dog -> 00Funk -> MultiComp -> UniChorus (with Brown Dog envelope out connected to 00Funk envelope in)

If the BassIQ doesn't sound too great before the Brown Dog then you can switch em around. It's also worth trying octave after fuzz, which will give you worse tracking but will generate a clean octave underneath the fuzzy higher register which I think sounds great.

I'd say 00Funk at the beginning (envelopes need the cleanest signal possible (I think)) then the gated fuzz at the end, but that's the traditional way. However, I've heard other things from other musicians. it's just a case of trying them out in different orders. I know for a fact I prefer my OD before my wah, but apparently you're MEANT to have the OD after the wah! Crazy times!! :)

i'm with dannybuoy.

deffo try the iq before the multi comp - i tried mine both ways (just to see) and the iq >> comp sounded better to my ears

and chorus after compression is the way to go.

but as always...the fun of pedals is messing around with the order !

Hi Guys,

Interesting stuff - I have the current pedals set up as they are because that is the way that EBS recommend them and I have never had a huge amount of time to experiment.

Just one question though - I only really use the Multi Comp for slap bass passages in songs and can't see that I would have it on in conjunction with the envelope filter so does it really matter where it goes?

Am I missing more fun sounds by only using the Multi Comp by itself?

Thanks

Mark

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='508530' date='Jun 8 2009, 08:36 PM']I wouldn't put the comp before the envelope filters unless you're trying to limit the dynamic range of the filter on purpose. Compressor after filter can help tame the wild resonant peaks and protect your speakers too! Fuzz before filter and fuzz after filter are 2 good sounds to have, so I try putting one filter before the Brown Dog and one after.

In fact, the 00Funk and Brown Dog can be linked together with an extra cable so that you can have the Brown Dog going into the Funk, but with your clean signal triggering the filter. This is well worth doing. So how about:

OctaBass -> BassIQ -> Brown Dog -> 00Funk -> MultiComp -> UniChorus (with Brown Dog envelope out connected to 00Funk envelope in)

If the BassIQ doesn't sound too great before the Brown Dog then you can switch em around. It's also worth trying octave after fuzz, which will give you worse tracking but will generate a clean octave underneath the fuzzy higher register which I think sounds great.[/quote]

[quote name='iamapirate' post='508556' date='Jun 8 2009, 09:02 PM']I'd say 00Funk at the beginning (envelopes need the cleanest signal possible (I think)) then the gated fuzz at the end, but that's the traditional way.[/quote]

As Dannybuoy mentioned the 00Funk and Brown Dog are designed to work together to sidestep that issue. There's a dry out on the Brown Dog which can be plugged into an Envelope In socket on the 00Funk, so you can have filtered fuzz, but the filter's envelope follower still gets a 100% clean signal to work with.

I'd agree with Dannybuoy's signal chain too.