Why become a member? ×

SOLD:Ibanez DWB35 Doug Wimbish Signature 5-string Bass

Sean

[b] Ibanez DWB35 Doug Wimbish Signature Series 5-string Bass with Original Ibanez Hard Case
[/b]
Up for sale is this DWB35. This is now a rare instrument as Doug Wimbish only licenced a limited number to be made. The production ran from 2004 - 2006. This is one of that number. All the hardware is in top condition and there are no marks on the bass. The shape and tone available from this is amazing. The EMG pickups on this bass are superb. The B string is very tight and has a nice defined sound and feeling that makes any venue rock! :-)

What the reviews say...

Ibanez launched a new Doug Wimbish signature bass, the 5-string DWB35 at Winter NAMM. According to Ibanez, the new bass has "the wide range of tones needed by the first call N.Y. session artist who's played with everyone from Living Colour to the Rolling Stones." The DWB35 5-string joins the Wimbish signature 4-string, the DWB3.

The DWB35 features a thru-body 5 pc maple/bubinga neck for superior strength tone and easy upper-fret access. The body wings are ash. As per Wimbish's preference, the DW35 features EMG pickups. A two-band EQ customized for Doug Wimbish provides quick and wide variations in tone.

[i]Says Wimbish of his new model, "My 5-string represents five long years of research and development. It's truly a work of art. One of the best 5-string basses Ibanez has ever made–and that says something! I designed it so I could get a wide and different range of sounds with ease both live and in the studio. It's got a great dynamic and great fundamentals. I think players will find it very easy, very useful and very, very fun to play."[/i]

Model DWB35 5-String Specs:

* List £1149.99
* Available Finish BBL Bright Blue
* Body Material Light Ash
* Neck Material 5 pc Maple/Bubinga
* Neck-Thru
* Neck Scale 34"
* No. Frets/Type 24/Medium
* Fingerboard Rosewood
* Inlay Pearl Abalone Oval
* Bridge Accu-Cast B200
* H/W Color Gold
* Neck Pickup EMG40J
* Bridge Pickup EMG40J
* EQ EQB DW2 Active 2-Band
* Controls Volume w/Gain Boost, Balance, Bass Boost/Cut, Treble Boost/Cut
* Other Special Features Hipshot Licensed Tuners
* Case MB100C
* Case List £139.99

Everything on and about the bass is in great condition. The hard case has a few scrapes though but this is just cosmetic and doesn't affect the integrity of the case at all. It is the original Ibanez case and covered in a leatherette type material.

As always you are welcome to try before you buy, I an based in Gloucester.

Collection preferred but will post if required.

[b]£550. No Trades.[/b]

Edited by Sean

[quote name='Machines' post='508491' date='Jun 8 2009, 07:59 PM']Great bass there Sean, what are the differences between these and the SRX705 ?[/quote]

These have the EMG J pups in which give it that Spector-ish zing, the SRX705 has the MM type pups. The neck is a slightly different profile and has the very Spector-ish inlays as well as teh afgain very Spector-ish gold nut, which, just a Spector falls out when the strings are off it! :)

It's very light, I'll weigh it tomorrow at the test shop in work but I'm guessing it's under 8lbs. It has a fantastic B string, much better than I ever thought a 34" scale one could be and better than many 35s.

Oh Lord have mercy...if I could design my own 5 string bass, it would be this with an 18v circuit - a 10 minute, 30p mod job on this one.

If this is still doing the rounds towards the end of the summer, and I do decide that 5 strings are for me, I may drop you a line. Have a free bump for now!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Sean' post='508520' date='Jun 8 2009, 08:25 PM']These have the EMG J pups in which give it that Spector-ish zing, the SRX705 has the MM type pups. The neck is a slightly different profile and has the very Spector-ish inlays as well as teh afgain very Spector-ish gold nut, which, just a Spector falls out when the strings are off it! :)

It's very light, I'll weigh it tomorrow at the test shop in work but I'm guessing it's under 8lbs. It has a fantastic B string, much better than I ever thought a 34" scale one could be and better than many 35s.[/quote]

(I own an SRX700) The hardware's different, too. The DWB has hipshots against the SRX's generic tuners, as well as a different bridge.
I have a feeling that the EQ is different, too, as the controls are set in a curve, rather than a straight line as per the SRX. Finally, the neck stripes in the SRX are Walnut, not Bubinga.
£550 is a bargain. I would, but I'm simply not in the market for instruments!

[quote name='fragility' post='507356' date='Jun 7 2009, 07:31 AM']I've got the 4 string version of this bass and I love it, so have a bump on me :rolleyes:[/quote]
Me too. Incredible bass and the 5-string looks awesome in blue.

I had given up on 5s but I guess it'd be rude not to at least consider thinking about wondering possibly about this one .... :)

Whoever buys it will have a keeper.